After all the controversy of the photos hacked on icloud, I was wondering if the tools mentioned would be Apple specific or more general. In my research I came across the following tool that clames that can hack into BlackBerry backups and that in the future intend to break other BlackBerry types of data.

I would like to have the take of CrackBerry community on this.

This is the link:

Oxygen Forensic� Suite - Oxygen Forensic� Suite 2014 Breaks into BlackBerry 10 Backups

Others tools besides oxygen with similar purposes:
    - Cellebrite
    - Elcomsoft Phone Password Breaker (EPPB)
    09-08-14 09:01 AM
    "In order to decrypt the backup, the original BlackBerry account password is required."

So... lol

Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 09:23 AM
    Tried / attempted it. Nada. The file just keeps on going round and round. You can't open it.

Q10 SQN100-3 | Z30 STA100-2 | 10.2.1.3247 iPhone 4s IOS 7.xx
    09-08-14 09:29 AM
    Although it would be bad if it did work, I kinda "wish" it did, and we could actually independently extract useful data from previous backups.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 09:37 AM
    The answer is complicated.

BBOS 5 and earlier - I can crack your backups. You can unzip them and read and modify most of the data in plain text. I can make modifications to those including your password and restore the hacked backup to your phone.

This cannot be done on a mass scale. It is done one to one by accessing your backup.

Same can be done with BlackBerry QNX 2.0

Hacking mass backups could only be theoretically done to users running BBOS not QNX. BlackBerry protect used to hold BBOS backups.

Your facebook, linkedin, Gmail, dropbox etc however is a different matter altogether. And someone smarter than me maybe able to brute crack individual backups. But even then they can only target a single user

Posted via CB from my LE
    joeldf likes this.
    09-08-14 09:46 AM
    The answer is complicated.

BBOS 5 and earlier - I can crack your backups. You can unzip them and read and modify most of the data in plain text. I can make modifications to those including your password and restore the hacked backup to your phone.

This cannot be done on a mass scale. It is done one to one by accessing your backup.

Same can be done with BlackBerry QNX 2.0

Hacking mass backups could only be theoretically done to users running BBOS not QNX. BlackBerry protect used to hold BBOS backups.

Your facebook, linkedin, Gmail, dropbox etc however is a different matter altogether. And someone smarter than me maybe able to brute crack individual backups. But even then they can only target a single user

Posted via CB from my LE
    So in theory it's possible to hack a single user ?

What about the phone and data it contains like Facebook, WhatsApp and so on?

Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 12:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    You could theoretically hack early OS's. But if your using 10.x, I can't do anything to your backups.

FB, WhatsApp etc are much more likely to be hacked on their side. A hacker gets a lot more out of hacking all FB users than a single BlackBerry device - so it is much more likely.

I can think of a handful of ways you could grab data from WhatsApp and Facebook on your device but it is challenging and would require you installing malware as an app. These apps leave notification 'files' in cross application accessible locations, so you could maybe monitor those.

Posted via CB from my LE
    kraidx likes this.
    09-08-14 12:06 PM
    You could theoretically hack early OS's. But if your using 10.x, I can't do anything to your backups.

FB, WhatsApp etc are much more likely to be hacked on their side. A hacker gets a lot more out of hacking all FB users than a single BlackBerry device - so it is much more likely.

I can think of a handful of ways you could grab data from WhatsApp and Facebook on your device but it is challenging and would require you installing malware as an app.

Posted via CB from my LE
    From what I've been reading some of these tools claim that they can access to all data in iOS, apps included. Cellebrite states this in their site.

http://Www.cellebrite.com/mobile-for.../ios-forensics

Are we more protect than iOS users?

Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 12:11 PM
    With enough time anything can be hacked, the new world we've in now.

Z10 all they way!
    09-08-14 12:12 PM
    From what I've been reading some of these tools claim that they can access to all data in iOS, apps included. Cellebrite states this in their site.

http://Www.cellebrite.com/mobile-for.../ios-forensics

Are we more protect than iOS users?

Posted via CB10
    Yes I think so.

We don't have a central cloud storage which is bad (harder to keep everything online in one place). But it also means we don't have a single point of failure .

As mentioned above though, totally, all security is a deterrent. They just slow hackers down (albiet taking 6 months instead of 24hrs is significant). But these are just my observations!

Posted via CB from my LE
    09-08-14 12:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    Even IF you had access to a backup - none of the passwords are stored in it (try it on your own device and see - you are prompted to re-activate every account.
    09-08-14 12:36 PM
    The hacking software is simply trying every code possible. Starting with a single digit and working up from there. Adding special characters to the password takes a lot more time if there's an option try try special characters to crack it.

I never realized this is hacking. More like cracking the code. Hacking to me is more getting the info wanted without ever using the password.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 02:13 PM
    The hacking software is simply trying every code possible. Starting with a single digit and working up from there. Adding special characters to the password takes a lot more time if there's an option try try special characters to crack it.

I never realized this is hacking. More like cracking the code. Hacking to me is more getting the info wanted without ever using the password.

Posted via CB10
    Ditto!

Posted via CB from my LE
    09-08-14 02:19 PM
    Even IF you had access to a backup - none of the passwords are stored in it (try it on your own device and see - you are prompted to re-activate every account.
    Great point . Passwords are only stored in bbos backups. Some (very few) are stored in bb1 0 backups.

Posted via CB from my LE
    09-08-14 02:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    True. However the end result is what you want. These tools supposedly grant access to iOS and to the apps in the device. I don't own an iOS so can't test it.

My concern would be the extent of them. If as they advertise anyone with the software can have access to a iOS device.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 02:47 PM
    True. However the end result is what you want. These tools supposedly grant access to iOS and to the apps in the device. I don't own an iOS so can't test it.

My concern would be the extent of them. If as they advertise anyone with the software can have access to a iOS device.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, those are script kiddie tools. Something anyone can download and just press run once they navigate through the adult pop ups and virus laden downloads

There are no tools like that I'm aware of that are a risk to BB10 yet.

Posted via CB from my LE
    09-08-14 09:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    The difference is you're going to have to break into my house, find the hard drive, usb stick, or sd card that contains the backup. Good luck, I own over 30 different storage devices. Then you need to unrar the folder with my password then you need to special software to unlock the backups.

icloud....you can do it from your couch.
    09-09-14 06:00 AM