My dads got a 9300 from work, and its running OS5, the layout is really outdated and this phone is upgradebale to OS6 butI cant seem to find a way to do it, is it possible?
    11-15-11 02:00 PM
    yes you need to find and install your OS6 on your PC then have desktop manager. If you chose an OS other than the branding of the phone then you need to delete vendor.xml.
    Lot of threads and info on crackberry on how to update the OS
    11-15-11 02:11 PM
    Be careful. Remember that this phone actually belongs to your dad's employer. They may not like you playing around with their company equipment. Also, it is possible that you may break the BES connection doing the upgrade. If that happens, your dad has to go back to his employer's IT department and ask them to activate the phone again.

Your dad's employer may be using OS5 because that is what they support.

I know as a BES admin, I would not like to have someone bring their phone to me for activation and I see something like this. But that's just me.
    Jaguarr40 and mufc1 like this.
    11-15-11 02:21 PM
    yes you need to find and install your OS6 on your PC then have desktop manager. If you chose an OS other than the branding of the phone then you need to delete vendor.xml.
    Lot of threads and info on crackberry on how to update the OS
    If the phone's on a BES, and it's locked down, then this is a very bad idea.

BES policies regulate which system software runs on company phones. The BES admins can push out a system update, if they choose, but bear in mind that many admins are very cautious about doing this.

Sure, the OP may possibly get the phone to accept a system update, but there's a very good chance the BES in use by his dad's employer will intentionally brick the phone if it's tampered with.

And, yes, with some employers tampering with your phone like that can lead to the loss of your job.
    mufc1 likes this.
    11-15-11 02:23 PM
    I already tried the conventional ways PKPD, hence this thread. Yeah sounds like i should just leave it then, thanks for the info
    11-15-11 02:48 PM
    My dads got a 9300 from work, and its running OS5, the layout is really outdated and this phone is upgradebale to OS6 butI cant seem to find a way to do it, is it possible?
    Just to add what everyone else has told you as sound advice... When you say a BES phone you are really only referring to us that the phone is a work phone on an enterprise plan as opposed to BIS with a personal email but the phone itself can for sure be updated but like everyone else told you, it should go through the business who owns the phone ITs dept.
    11-15-11 05:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD