Offyoutoddle raised an interesting point deserving of a thread. What will happen to BBOS phones if the BIS servers no longer operate? Do BBOS phones need BIS or do they just revert to higher data cost uncompressed use?
    09-05-13 10:35 AM
    Offyoutoddle raised an interesting point deserving of a thread. What will happen to BBOS phones if the BIS servers no longer operate? Do BBOS phones need BIS or do they just revert to higher data cost uncompressed use?

During the Great Outage of 2010... no BIS Servers meant no data. You basically have a dumb smartphone.
    09-05-13 10:37 AM
    During the Great Outage of 2010... no BIS Servers meant no data. You basically have a dumb smartphone.
    My thought was that a consortium of carriers or perhaps a cloud operator would step in for a fee. There are lot of BIS phones out there ... the NSA would do it for free!
    09-05-13 10:41 AM
    BlackBerry 10 smartphones use regular data plans not a BIS/BES specific data plan. My BlackBerry Z10 has a regular data plan, not BlackBerry specific, and I have personal email (via IMAP IDLE) and professional email (via Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync).

If BlackBerry shut down their NOC the only functionality you'd loose would be limited but email and telephone functionality would remain. In essence you'd get the equivalent of an Apple iPhone or Google Android-based smartphone.
    09-05-13 10:43 AM
    My thought was that a consortium of carriers or perhaps a cloud operator would step in for a fee. There are lot of BIS phones out there ... the NSA would do it for free!
    Are you claiming your privacy is worth nothing? The NSA requests you sign-up for their in-depth probe programme in exchange for them being your wireless carrier of choice.
    09-05-13 10:45 AM
    BlackBerry 10 smartphones use regular data plans not a BIS/BES specific data plan. My BlackBerry Z10 has a regular data plan, not BlackBerry specific, and I have personal email (via IMAP IDLE) and professional email (via Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync).

If BlackBerry shut down their NOC the only functionality you'd loose would be limited but email and telephone functionality would remain. In essence you'd get the equivalent of an Apple iPhone or Google Android-based smartphone.
    Thanks.... But the OP asked specifically about BBOS and BIS.

As to the other post about carriers, sorry but BlackBerry (or their buyer) isn't going to just give away the servers and software.
    09-05-13 11:54 AM
    First of all, BlackBerry is here to stay, not shutting down or shutting off BIS servers, etc. Now, to answer the question, BBOS phones without BIS are limited to talk and text which is what I would use mine for if there were no BIS because I would never use an ifone or android phone. (Or I'd get a Q10.) The greater danger in this hypothetical situation would be that the new owner would be some NSA partner like google or facebook. In that case, I'd be more worried about the wonderful, new OS updates that would be forced out upon all BBOS users making BBOS handsets subject to android-like spying protocols.
    09-05-13 12:07 PM
    Thanks.... But the OP asked specifically about BBOS and BIS.
    BIS remains operational for as long as BlackBerry or any buyer decides it is viable. BlackBerry could drop BIS support any time with our without their current dilemma. Obviously discontinuing BIS support would anger the bulk of their remaining 70 million subscribers but the company seems willing to ******* on its early BlackBerry 10 adopters so who really knows what runs through management's heads.

As to the other post about carriers, sorry but BlackBerry (or their buyer) isn't going to just give away the servers and software.
    BlackBerry currently gives away BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 server software along with trial CALs.
    09-05-13 12:14 PM