after my most recent device switch, a file appeared on my desktop called pool.bin and the free space in my C:\ drive dropped 5GB. I can't find any information about it anywhere much less a solution to the problem. I tried googling it and there was ONLY ONE search result that had anything to do with Blackberry. But the thread about it was from somebody running BES saying it was somehow related to MDS something or other.....i have not a clue. I run BIS on my Curve. This same thing happened to me when I was using a T-Mobile Pearl. I finally got rid of it when I had to (for totally unrelated issues) had to reinstall my XP. Somebody, anybody, HEEELLLPPPPP!!!
    10-13-08 10:16 AM
    That's a file that usually gets created on your desktop when you run Blackberry Device Manager.
    10-13-08 02:04 PM
    how do I fix it? And how do i get back the 4GB or so of space that disappeared when it showed up?
    10-14-08 08:27 AM
    I see where other people just delete pool.bin. You might try renaming it first and make sure everything still works right.
    10-14-08 08:32 AM
    ya, tried that but no luck reclaiming the 4GB of space on my hard drive. thanx for help!!
    10-14-08 09:03 PM
    It is obviously some kind of application based swap file. 5Gb seems a bit excessive so maybe the app is creating this a a percentage of your disk or free disk space.

I too Googled 'pool.bin' and the results are indeed sparse.

There seems to be a minor consensus that it is related to MDS, BES, Excahnge Server and possibly a virus chacker. None of which is of any help since most of these would normally be withing a corporate IT dept.

I looked on the BlackBerry.com site and tech support has no reference to pool.bin.

I tried as hardas I could to find out more because you obviously know what you are doing given you excellent post a while back on tethering.

I am really sorry that I can't find anything to help you.

What happens if you just delete the file?
    10-15-08 06:19 AM
    Every now and then I'll do a search on the entire drive for *.* greater than say 100MBs just to see who's been planting large files. It helps to know who is there normally and who is new and filling up the garage.
    10-15-08 06:25 AM
    See: na.blackberry-DOT-com
    Synchronization SDK Development Guide.pdf
    I CANNOT POST LINKS YET.

Pool.bin is
    A file that the BlackBerry Manager creates for each client installation. The BlackBerry manager creates the file the first time you run BlackBerry Manager.
    07-04-09 05:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD