06-01-10 08:42 PM
105 ... 2345
tools
    Using BBmaps it works... Google maps I can't get it to work for me
    05-29-08 09:10 PM
    Using BBmaps it works... Google maps I can't get it to work for me
    BBMaps works for me too most of the time, still not working with Google Maps.. Telus Navigator of course works great...
    05-29-08 09:33 PM
    Google Maps has not been updated to work with internal GPS units, only bluetooth GPS units.

BBmaps seems to work but only with a clear view to the sky for me. Not in a house, for example.
    05-29-08 10:47 PM
    Google Maps has not been updated to work with internal GPS units, only bluetooth GPS units....
    that's simply inaccurate, as Google maps should work perfectly with internal gps unit, and occasional does!

i am on my third 8830 within the last 35 days, and same problem persists.
    07-31-08 01:48 AM
    I updated to 4.5 and now my Google maps works great with the gps... although I have to jump start it by booting up bb maps and letting it find the satellites
    08-22-08 03:55 PM
    I just downloaded BB Maps and now it works in both BB Maps and Google Earth just fine. It never worked at all before downloading BB Maps on either Curve I have had so far.

Mike
    09-26-08 10:02 PM
    I am having the same issues, will not connect to satelites, and my friend on rogers, no problem (same BB). go figure!

After many attempts with TELUS tech support i got no answers, only that it must be a RIM issue, yeah right?

After 2 to 3 minutes of searching for satellites it sometimes connects...then if i go into google maps asap it works with 10 meter accuracy...if i try google maps frist it never aquires a connection and uses the cell towers to get a location usually 1200 meters accurate.

i tried Telus Navigator on my Instinct..did not like it at all, BB Maps and Google Maps are way better...so i am reluctant to download it to my Curve...just can't bring myself to pay an additional $10 per month for a feature i use once in a while...

I do not think TELUS has intentioally blocked the GPS on the curve, it must be some software quirks.

If anyone has been able to get BB Maps to connect quickly then how? and Has anyone tried any other 3rd party GPS apps that connect quick, like GPSed?
    10-10-08 11:56 AM
    Have the same issue and after spending a ton of time research, I have yet to see an official reply from Telus.

To save you some time, here's what I have read/found:

1.) The Telus navigator app seems to work for some folks but costs $10/month
    2.) GPSed (free app - search for it on web) seems to enable the GPS for me and then GPS apps work. It is still fussy but will work 70% of the time
    3.) Heard that it's a Curve bug and RIM will issue a patch
    4.) The new OS 4.5 does not fix the issue
    5.) No matter what I've done, it has never connected to a Sat when I'm indoors. Have to be outside.
    6.) Read that external bluetooth GPS addons work ok - but there's a cost ($99 - $500)

Fortunatley, the default cell phone tower range is ok for me to get around with.

W.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-08 02:20 PM
    I used BB maps but it only worked outside. Found 6 satelites

10-10-08 03:08 PM
    I tired google maps, on my pearl it would find me within 10-20 meters every time. Using it on the curve it finds me with in on average 1700meters.
    A 10 to 20 meter margin of error indicates that your system was using GPS. A 1700 meter margin indicates that the system is using a cell-tower triangulation method

10-10-08 04:32 PM
    seems that there needs to be a patch from bb to telus for telus's back end servers for the blackberries...

Thats why youtube works now, blackberry gave them a new patch for the back end network at telus...
    11-08-08 11:10 PM
    Thought I'd bump this old thread to see if anyone has any updates on this?

Ever since I got my 8330 curve, bb maps and google maps have never worked using the internal gps (haven't tried external). I downloaded the trial of TelusNavigator, which works instantly and pefectly. If I leave telusnav open and switch to bb maps or google maps, they work, but only with telus nave running... hmmmmmmm

Today is different tho, I have been able to find satellites with bb maps, without telus nav running. I am still unable to search for satellites with just google maps, but if I have bb maps running then go to google maps it works.

Also interesting to note, Poynt works absolutely perfectly when bb maps is able to connect, but doesn't need bb maps to be running. (ex. If I am able to get a signal with bb maps, i can usually get a signal with poynt, and vice versa)

Altho, there was a period of about half an hour this morning when bb maps would simply not connect, but now it is working and is able to find 9 satellites indoors.

So whats the deal?!
    12-06-08 06:10 PM
    Same problem here.. I got a new 8330 from Telus last month, and the GPS only works about 15% of the time I'm in BB Maps. Outside, inside, open sky, nothing changes the odds.
    02-12-09 04:42 AM
    I wonder if a solution has appeared on howardforums?
    I usually start up bb maps get a signal and then switch to google maps. It works sometimes but only in a clear day. Pretty weak gps unit in this device.
    02-12-09 10:33 AM
    There is a thread in the telus section of this forum. There is a fix for the curve gps issue.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f109/ok...x-here-152147/

02-12-09 11:14 AM
    Ya I had the gps issue as well. Followed the forum posted above and it works like a charm now. And once its done its done. Doesn't matter if you wipe your device or load a new os.

02-12-09 12:18 PM
    I was told by a Telus rep that the ONLY way to use GPS on my 8330 was to subscribe to their Navigator system and pay extra for this.

Can I assume that what I was told is NOT correct?

I'm on an unlimited data plan...
    02-12-09 02:41 PM
    Well I was told that they know the gps has never worked. However they know it works with their nav program. Go figure. I was also told that the gps isn't locked down by the sales rep and tech suppoet before I bought the 8330. I used to have a 8310 and that doesn't have a gps lock. You can unlock the gps following the directions on a posting some where on crackberry. Use the search that's how I found it. Search gps fix. Or gps unlock.

02-12-09 04:18 PM
    Called Telus and confirmed it is not REQUIRED that I use Navigator on my 8330. I can use GPS w/my current price plan and not get charged anything extra.

I'm very happy but I'm upset when I think of all the times I could have used it but wasn't aware it was available to me.
    02-13-09 07:23 PM
    Good luck. Because telus locks the curve 8330 gps. With out the nav program the gps will not work with any 3rd party apps. You can call them and they will tell you the gps isn't locked. I know because I went through all the bs with them... You can unlock it by 'hacking it' and putting in the ip and other info found in these forums

02-14-09 01:56 PM
    Well, I'm rather new to using the GPS on my BB (my previous BB was a 7250 which wasn't on a data plan of any sort), so I was talking the literal definition of using GPS (connection to satalites for the purpose of finding locations) not any sort of extensive use with all sorts of different apps.

But hey, it works with Google Maps, and now I'm off to a good start.... I'll let you know how I make out as I hack away on this thing... Thanks for the heads up though
    02-15-09 09:16 PM
    I got the following information from a friend of mine at RIM:

"*********** The GPS implementation within the TELUS BlackBerry Curve 8330 uses Stand-Alone GPS when using applications such as BlackBerry Maps. This requires that the user be outdoors, with a clear view of the sky and may result in a wait time of several minutes for the Smartphone to acquire an initial satellite fix. When using TELUS Navigator the BlackBerry will utilize TELUS premium LBS (location based services) solution, which includes network assistance to provide faster acquisition of satellite fixes ***********

****************Please be advised the Telus devices 8130, 8330, and 9530 support BB Maps on s/w version 4.3 - 4.7***************** "

It's funny though, because the only time BB Maps did find satellites, was when I was inside my house by a window.. it found 6 satellites.
    02-19-09 03:58 AM
    Thanks for the update. Mine works the best outside on a clear day. I've given up on this feature though, don't put much faith into it working when I need it. It's too bad though so I carry my TomTom if I need GPS.
    02-20-09 10:44 AM
    My 8330 takes about 2 minutes to acquire a signal and has to be outside and motionless, or propped up against a window from inside.

Very frustrating! I'm running 4.5.0.188
    02-20-09 12:08 PM
    I used the fix I found on one of the pages here and it fixed my GPS, now works perfectly and finds the signal within 15-30 seconds every time.
    02-21-09 11:02 PM
105 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD