Dudes, what is this audible roll? An app?

Its usually on by default, but to turn it on you go to options/Screen-Keyboard, at the bottom it says Audible Roll.. Set it to click.
    It makes a clicking noise when you switch icons...
    05-02-08 03:36 PM
    Cool thanks. Mine was on Mute. I turned it on and I hear a click as I scroll through the apps.
    05-02-08 03:46 PM
    Just a FYI for everyone..

OS upgrade to 4.3.0.127 didn't seem to help the GPS, or Audible Scroll issues.
    05-03-08 10:34 AM
    Hi guys,
    I had the same problem /w my brand new TELUS BB Curve. Frustrated me to no end!! I also noticed the weird symptom of the GPS working in BB Maps after I'd run the TELUS Navigator.

I called the TELUS data support team, and they worked with me on the phone & did a bunch of OTA stuff with me (they had me clear out my service books and then resent them to me and they then had me re-register my "Host Routing Table") and then voila - the GPS worked flawlessly!

I can get GPS /w BB Maps now, but not /w Google Maps.
    05-03-08 02:14 PM
    Do you think if we did this ourselves it would help? Or do we have to call it in?
    05-03-08 03:38 PM
    I think you *could* do this yourself, but I would strongly suggest you call in to get it done right. It only took about 20 mins to sort this out - not long at all.
    05-03-08 04:27 PM
    You could try, i already deleted and resent my service books the first day i got my 8330..

You can just delete your service books, and login to the telus BIS site and resend them..

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?b...elus&locale=en
    05-03-08 04:39 PM
    Have you tried this Timewalk to get gps working on yours?
    05-03-08 06:40 PM
    Have you tried this Timewalk to get gps working on yours?
    Yes, didnt work for me but cant hurt to try it..
    05-03-08 09:39 PM
    I was told that there will be a firmware update that will fix this issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-08 06:28 PM
    I hope you're right mikeypants.
    05-06-08 07:06 PM
    Thats what i was told from a Telus BB tech too...
    They said earliest June though...
    05-06-08 08:12 PM
    Ok guys, I finally got it to work tonight. I haven't changed anything on my 8330. Started up Blackberry Maps and started searching for my location. After a minute it showed my location and started gps navigation. This gps seems to require no obstacles. I'm in an open parking lot near the new Cactus Club in Burnaby and it picked up very quickly. Not sure if it's anything else that could be an issue.

05-07-08 09:13 PM
    Mine still does not work. I am on my second 8330.

I have learned that there is an update to the GPS being done on Telus' end tonight (Thursday night) and they are hoping this will resolve the issue for all the defective 8330's they have sold so far.

I hope this does it - I REALLY want to love my BlackBerry, but for me it is useless w/o GPS, and they tricked me into signing a new 3 year contract - they told me they were giving me a unit with GPS features. I'm kind of in a crappy place right now - feel like I've been scammed and there's no way out... all I want is what I paid for

If tonight's fix does not do the trick, anyone interested in grouping together to fight this feel free to get in touch with me. I'm not letting this die, I am coming out of this with a brand new, non-refurbished, working Curve 8330 with GPS one way or another.
    05-08-08 07:03 PM
    Mine still does not work. I am on my second 8330.

I have learned that there is an update to the GPS being done on Telus' end tonight (Thursday night) and they are hoping this will resolve the issue for all the defective 8330's they have sold so far.

I hope this does it - I REALLY want to love my BlackBerry, but for me it is useless w/o GPS, and they tricked me into signing a new 3 year contract - they told me they were giving me a unit with GPS features. I'm kind of in a crappy place right now - feel like I've been scammed and there's no way out... all I want is what I paid for

If tonight's fix does not do the trick, anyone interested in grouping together to fight this feel free to get in touch with me. I'm not letting this die, I am coming out of this with a brand new, non-refurbished, working Curve 8330 with GPS one way or another.
    Any Update as to id this has been resolved ttoovv? I know that mine has not worked at all for Google Maps or for BB Maps. I did notice that using NAV4All did seem to work pretty good. It took a minute to get sat lock but it did work. But the other two do not work at all. I am testing it against a work Rogers 8800 and it works great.

Thanks
    05-13-08 12:12 AM
    Well, no update really - mine still does not work. I guess this network update was unrelated to our problem after all!

Something I've noticed is that I could call back 10 times and get 10 different answers - nobody seems to have heard of this problem before. There seems to be a lack of communication within Telus BBerry support about this issue. It's obviously widespread (try walking into any Telus reseller store and ask if they've had problems with the 8330 & GPS - the answer is probably yes).

The consistent things I do get out of the phone calls are:

- It should be fixed one day
    - It's not a trick to get us to buy Telus Navigator

The people at that BlackBerry tech support # are very nice and seem to think we deserve to get what we paid for. I agree with them Unfortunately they just don't have any info on when that might happen.

..... soon hopefully... i'm getting v. impatient.
    05-13-08 05:20 PM
    i also picked up the 8330 largely for its GPS capabilities.

i can't disagree that the answers from tech support seem random and arbitrary. the rep i spoke to at telus said that the issue is blackberry's fault and that i should simply use the telus nav, to which i disagreed vehemently. i read to her verbatim the post listed above that managed to successfully activate the GPS. the tech i spoke to refused and explained to me some reason why that could not have worked that i didn't understand.

this phone is the 5th i've had on the telus network this year alone. each and every time i've been comped a new unit as a result of mistakes made on the part of telus (which i tend to police fervently). it seems that every month they manage, without fail, to make some sort of error or omission, though this GPS issues seems to take the cake....let's face it, it affects us all.

i've been monitoring this forum since obtaining an 8330 in late april/early may in the hopes that some sort of solution would have been posted. i can emphasize with everyone's frustration. if the issue is not solved in the near future, i'm prepared to take legal action, and conveniently, i'm a lawyer.

i will everyone posted on the progress.

finally, another forum has been posted on this subject on another site, which may or may not be of interest to some of you:

supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryDeviceSoftware&message. id=666]Re: Telus BlackBerry Curve 8330 BlackBerry Maps issue - BlackBerry® Device Software - BlackBerry® Support Community Forums
    05-17-08 11:58 AM
    That's odd that they would tell you it is RIM's fault and you should use the paid Navigator application. I heard that it is RIM's fault at the very start of my battle but that was from someone non-technical who wasn't really sure. Everyone I've spoken to since at TELUS (must be 15+ people by now, geez) has *admitted that it is a network problem on Telus' end* that they are working on. Last they told me was that a specific person is working on this that is familiar with these types of issues. The people I've spoken to have said that I absolutely deserve to get the built-in GPS that I paid for and there is no reason why I will not get that. They have assured me that it is not a trick to get me to buy Telus Navigator junk.

I'm starting to get VERY annoyed at this and I'm not ruling out taking legal action either. I have saved copies of various advertisements that state "Built-in GPS and BlackBerry Maps" in separate bullet points from the bullet point about "TELUS navigator & GPS", which clearly implies that there is GPS outside of the paid navigator application and that it works in BlackBerry Maps. I have been told BY Telus that my GPS should work regardless of what BlackBerry-compatible GPS software I'm using. There's just no fair way they can go back on this now. We are OWED working GPS on our Curve 8330s. It's time for them to stop playing games. In the US, Verizon is being sued over a similar issue. (Google it, I can't post URLs because my account on here is too new)

Let's hope Telus is just experiencing a network issue and they're just doing a REALLY POOR job of communicating the progress to their customers. (And to their resellers, who are still selling these things even though they're being returned due to faulty GPS - walk into your local Telus reseller and ask if they've had any returned, my bet is yes they have).

Anyone who is reading this and has this same problem - make sure you open up a trouble/support ticket with BlackBerry support at Telus, and call back regularly for an update on that ticket. I got this number (I think on here) and it gets me through to the BlackBerry tech people quickly:

1-866-771-7292 Option 5, Option 2

Any updates anyone has are so very much appreciated. Also, if you do have a TELUS BlackBerry Curve 8330 please speak up on this thread - let us all know if you're one of the lucky ones or unlucky ones. THANKS!!
    05-17-08 12:35 PM
    Today i thought i would give my BB Maps a try, and it worked perfectly for me..
    Anyone else try theirs in the past two days???

I am posting from Niagara Falls right now, i will try it again when i get home..
    05-17-08 04:10 PM
    I just thought I would post, I bought my 8330 about 3 weeks ago and time etc. just got around to trying it out now (the GPS) especially after reading all the posts about it. I also got it from Telus. It took about 10 minutes to locate the satellites and next time I go out I will try it driving for accuracy. I did not load the navigator that is just on maps.
    05-17-08 05:48 PM
    Hey fellow Telus subscribers! I don't post much on these forums but thought I'd add to this thread. I got the 8330 the day it came out and like most people GPS didn't work. I downloaded Telus Navigator and my GPS started working in Blackberry Maps and other misc GPS Apps (Nav4All..). I deleted Telus Navigator (and cancelled my free subscription) and GPS stopped working. I gave up on it since sooner or later, they will fix it (had the same problem with my 8130).

During May long I was out in the middle of no where and figured I would try my GPS. It worked! Turned it off, battery pulled my phone and tried it again, worked! Had it going on the highway the entire way back home. And it still works in the city! Looking at 30 secs to a minute until it can locate satellites. I'll keep you posted if it decides to dies..

Oh and I never called Telus, never had service books resent - nothing. It just decided to work out of the blue. Maybe it'll work for everyone else??
    05-20-08 11:49 AM
    From what I can tell, it works fine for me. Sometimes when I'm ina building it finds me in another town, which is odd, but most of the time it's quite accurate. If I'm downtown in Montreal, it might miss me by a few blocks, but its generally pretty good.

I think the Telus Pearl did work better though. The GPS navigation worked so well when driving. I haven't had much chance to test that feature on the Curve though.
    05-20-08 12:21 PM
    I agree, my Telus 8330 works but rarely indoors. Works best outdoors away from obstacles. I was in Langley this weekend, lost looking for Olive Garden, and started BB Maps with navigation on too, and it took less than 30 seconds to get a location & give me directions. Either this is the way it is, or RIM needs to update this hardware. I don't think it's Telus.
    05-20-08 01:01 PM
    My GPS just started working this long weekend!!! However I just tried it a minute ago, and not aquiring GPS lock again. :-( Oh well.

Hopefully the bugs are getting worked out and this is resolved soon.

05-20-08 11:42 PM
    well i downloaded the trial version of telus navigator and it works just fine so i think they have tried to cripple the phone.

Pisses me off.
    Mine works fine using BB Maps. It works superbly using Google Maps. I give Telus enough of my hard earned money, so Navigator can sit on the web and rot for all I care.
    05-21-08 03:09 AM
105 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD