I went and walked my dog this afternoon and tried to get the GPS to work. Wham...Just like that I was connected to satellites! BB Maps works, but google maps still doesn't read the gps data, it just gives me nearest cell towers at best 1700m
    04-11-08 04:31 PM
    BB maps won't work for me at all on my 8330. Actually, i even had problems with it working at times on my 8830..
    04-11-08 05:52 PM
    Just used BB maps with GPS to drive clear across the city.. It was dead on...accurate and connected immediately..no issues at all....hmmm wondering if the problem is this maybe a combination of software, hardware, location etc? Maybe some of the devices just came off the assembly line during lunch hour at the RIM factory LOL

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-08 06:02 PM
    Maybe some of the devices just came off the assembly line during lunch hour at the RIM factory LOL

ROFL.. I sure hope not .. haha Hopefully its a location issue...
    04-11-08 06:03 PM
    yes my gps has been working fine...I am however new to the blackberry world so i don't know what i'm actually comparing it too...but i'd say gps and maps is great...wouldn't bother with telus navigator
    04-13-08 08:14 PM
    yeah i noticed the same thing...i have a 2g card and transfered a two dozen songs in like 3 seconds...sweet
    04-13-08 08:45 PM
    I have a telus 8330 which worked once in Langley and then wouldnt stop hunting for satellites yesterday (no clouds wide open parking lot) I tried it today in Kelowna and it worked like a charm (in the car and raining) I dont know what is going on it doesnt seem to make any sense??? I am sure that it is something Telus is up to, it wouldnt suprise me one bit.
    04-13-08 09:24 PM
    Interesting. I'm a first time poster here & I'm having GPS problems with my 8830. I bought it last month & Telus exchanged it once because of GPS problems. New BB is having the same problems. Sometimes when I try to start GPS it won't lock into the sat signals. Other times it works beautifully but if I go indoors and lose the signal, the map freezes up & won't update my location.

I found today that if it locks up I have to exit from the map application, then power down the phone & restart. Then it works great.

Also, yesterday when I fired it up, it placed me in the middle of a forest 400 km away from where I was. Did it twice.

I'm using Blackberry Maps and Telus Navigator. The same problem appears with both.

I complained to Telus today & they offered to give me yet another 8830, but I'm sceptical. Does Telus know something they are not telling?????
    04-15-08 12:08 AM
    Yeah my new Curve GPS using BlackBerry Maps is not working either. I'm pretty sure that Telus diabled it so you have to download their navigator software; wouldn't be surprised. :-(

04-15-08 11:21 PM
    first post.. so, hey everyone!
    ..I just renewed my contact w/ telus last weekend [another 3 years ].. on my previous phone, i had telus navigator which i downloaded as a trial, and it never stopped working, and i never got billed for data. just don't tell the feds..
    I've managed to connect with some satellites on BB Maps, but that was only once and hasn't happened since. I'm not sure what the deal is.. but I have a garmin so it's not a HUGE issue for me. I'll wait until may 5th or so just to see if things start working, if not, i'll look at exchanging it.
    not to hi-jack.. but how can you transfer all of the info onto another BB at the store?
    04-17-08 04:07 PM
    I found if you run Telenav in the background then open BB maps its works fairly good. Still a pain cause you need to pay the 10bux per month but if you dont mind the money its a nice toy.
    04-20-08 09:29 AM
    Hey everyone and welcome to the new members that just posted... I posted in this thread a week or so ago... and just wanted to say I am still problem-free.. the GPS on my Telus 8330 Curve works like a charm. Every maybe 5th or 6th time I start up the GPS it takes 30 seconds or so to get a satellite lock.. but other than that it seems to work every time... accurate.. connecting to between 7 and 12 satellites...

Did I luck out? Maybe... not sure... but its working perfectly with BB Maps...
    04-20-08 03:24 PM
    I have been using BB maps all afternoon with no problem I open telenav and let it run in the background. Driving around torotno I have 9 to 11 sats in range

04-20-08 04:42 PM
    Ok so I have a new theory. I gave my pearl to my GF and so I still have access to it. I looked at the BB maps version which is 2.0.24 on the pearl os v4.3.0.97 which works like a champ every time no problems whatsoever. I looked at the BB maps version 2.0.26 on my curve os v4.3.0.124 , which has worked 2 times out of the 20 times or so I have tried it. I wonder if it is the new version of BB maps or os that is causing all of our grief??? It is just a thought, so no one freak out about it. Thanks.
    Last edited by prometheus; 04-21-08 at 02:43 AM.
    04-21-08 01:57 AM
    I talked to DNS(data network solutions) today and they said the reason my BlackBerry Maps application is not working is becuase of my unlimited email & web 15 package I have on there. They said as of March 16th, people with this older package(the one where all data is unlimited) are going to start loosing services, such as web browsing and and data services. This sounds like a load of bull to me since my Maps were working just fine on my Pearl.

My thought is still the same: TELUS is blocking the Blackberry Maps app to get more sales of the Telus Navigator program. DNS keeps denying it but I'm sure that is the real reason.

04-21-08 11:11 PM
    Well i think its safe to say that the GPS on the 8330 Curve is definately working, just not very well with third party applications, or BB Maps..

I spoke with another Telus BlackBerry technician today, and he told me that the 8330 Curve's GPS is not activated on the Telus network as of yet, and will not be until at least late May..
    Yet Telus Navigator works fine with the 8330 Curve, Google Maps and BB Maps don't seem to work much at all for most..
    "I didn't bother commenting back, i just agreed with him, its obvious the GPS is working"

So what i have decided to do, at least for the summer is to use Telus Navigator, at least it uses Navteq maps, i don't mind paying the extra $10 for GPS, i just don't like being told the GPS is not active on the network, when its very obvious that it is..

I would love to use TeleNav, but last time i checked it is still not available in Canada, and must be billed to your carrier..
    04-24-08 06:10 PM
    @Timewalk: Thanks for the response. This GPS feature has been driving me nuts since I picked up 2 new Curve's last week from Telus. I hope we all get it to work this month with updated apps and not have to pay $10/month on top of what we pay Telus already.
    05-02-08 12:10 PM
    My current bill is $90/month before taxes..
    Still no go on new Google Maps version 2.1.0...
    05-02-08 12:15 PM
    I'm still using 2.0.3 that I got a few days ago. Need to find this update.
    Yup, I pay the same thing. I was paying this much on Fido with my 8700 and didn't even get half of what Telus offers me now. Still a lot of cash compared to our friends down south, but this is Canada eh?
    05-02-08 12:21 PM
    Just installed 2.1.0 and no luck, didn't work with the internal gps. Oh well.
    05-02-08 12:37 PM
    Just installed 2.1.0 and no luck, didn't work with the internal gps. Oh well.
    If you turn on your Audible Roll, you will likely find it also don't work..
    Hoping its an OS issue, as i cant see it being a Mass hardware defect...
    05-02-08 12:50 PM
    I spoke with another Telus BlackBerry technician today, and he told me that the 8330 Curve's GPS is not activated on the Telus network as of yet, and will not be until at least late May..
    Yet Telus Navigator works fine with the 8330 Curve, Google Maps and BB Maps don't seem to work much at all for most..
    "I didn't bother commenting back, i just agreed with him, its obvious the GPS is working"
    I had the GPS working yesterday morning using the BB Maps. It took some time to sync and when I was making abrupt change of direction (like on a runabout), it would lose the signal for a few seconds but apart from that, it worked ok.

Sprint has a new firmware (4.3.0.127) that is newer than what Telus uses (4.3.0.124) and supposedly fixes the GPS issue. Check this link.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ge-sprint.html
    05-02-08 03:08 PM
    Thanks for posting that sylvaing.. I will upgrade tonight...

Does your audible roll work on your 8330? If it does, do you know if it worked with 4.3.0.124
    05-02-08 03:12 PM
    Dudes, what is this audible roll? An app?
    05-02-08 03:31 PM
    I was about to ask the same question...
    05-02-08 03:34 PM
105 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD