Hey all, just wondering who has the best service for a BB in Sk. (Kindersley) got a friend lookin go step into the BB world of smartphones. Thanks!
    09-10-09 05:14 PM
    Kindersley Sask, rocketed to international fame when a very bright meteor lit up the sky and left treasure all over the ground last Winter.

You will have two signals to choose from, Rogers GSM and Telus CDMA. Bell Mobility will roam on Telus in the West.

In Saskatewan, line of sight pretty well covers everything. Like Iowa, really flat.
    09-10-09 05:55 PM
    Kindersley Sask, rocketed to international fame when a very bright meteor lit up the sky and left treasure all over the ground last Winter.

You will have two signals to choose from, Rogers GSM and Telus CDMA. Bell Mobility will roam on Telus in the West.

In Saskatewan, line of sight pretty well covers everything. Like Iowa, really flat.
    thanks, she has sasktel now.
    09-10-09 05:59 PM
    Regional carriers like SaskTel use CDMA devices on the Telus network. Both Bell and Telus have alternate marketing through the consumer brands Virgin Mobile and Koodo.

When the question is service, it depends on the Telus network when you are talking CDMA.

Ontario and East, it's Bell Mobility with the towers and responsibility for service levels.
    09-10-09 06:09 PM
    " ... Regional carriers like SaskTel use CDMA devices on the Telus network. ..."

Maybe regional carriers "like" SaskTel do; in Saskatchewan there are only two carriers with physical towers in place: Rogers Wireless and SaskTel. Telus, Bell Mobility, Virgin Mobile, and Koodoo use SaskTel's towers. While in Manitoba, all of the above save Rogers use MTS towers.

Similarly, SaskTel and MTS customers would use Telus towers west of Saskatchewan and predominantly Bell or other carriers east of Manitoba. Telus does have a few of it's own towers along the Ontario-Quebec highway corridor, and are building more.

I have a link to a Google map of every physical tower in Canada, what frequency it operates at, and who owns the tower.

Unfortunately as a new member I can't post it due to your forum rules. If I make it to 10 posts (probably will, just bought a Storm) I'll add it as an edit to this post.
    Last edited by Johnny2Bad; 09-23-09 at 03:36 PM.
    09-23-09 02:54 PM
    As a SaskTel Prepaid cellular customer, you have the ability to roam on the following networks:
    Bell
    Aliant
    MTS
    Telus
    Roaming may be limited in Prince Rupert, BC and parts of Western Ontario (Thunder Bay Area) as the aforementioned carriers do not have coverage in these locations, and we do not currently have roaming agreements with the carriers that do in these areas.

I stand corrected, they are a seperate network with their own service towers.
    09-23-09 03:02 PM
    Starting this year (a very few towers are already up) SaskTel is migrating to UTMS, which is compatible with all Canadian carriers. Coverage which will exceed current coverage areas an is slated to be completed in 2012; 2009 spending is $220 million.

That will be good news for Rogers BlackBerry customers who are limited to roughly 20km each side of the Trans-Canada (Winnipeg-Regina-Calgary) and YellowHead (Winnipeg-Saskatoon-Edmonton) highways, as well as HWY 2 from the US border to Prince Albert National Park; assuming an agreement is reached.
    09-23-09 04:47 PM
    I am from rural manitoba, and I always go with MTS, and the main reason is for service. Sasktel is in the same boat as MTS, they have the best service in their home province.

Rogers is decent in the country, but MTS is still king. Telus is horrible, they only have their own towers in Winnipeg, and otherwise they roam on MTS's towers, but they don't have proper roaming agreements set up, so you will only get voice. Maybe SMS if you are lucky, forget data.

If Saskatchewan is the same as Manitoba, go with Sasktel, you'll be thankful.
    09-23-09 09:07 PM
    Hi Reed, haven't posted (and logged in) for a while, although I do lurk quite a bit. Saw your PM when I logged in today.

The tower map is at:

Canadian Cellular Towers Map
    04-05-10 12:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD