I know. Heartbleed has been bad timing.

Posted from my awesome Q10 via CB10.
    04-30-14 06:03 AM
    As for champions of BB, there are very few left indeed.

It would help if RIM/BlackBerry weren't in the habit of shooting themselves in the foot all the time.

Finally Chen seems to be beefing up the enterprise organization, I see this among other things in their job listings. But the history of bumbling could be hard for people to forget. Especially in large organizations where the stability and reliability and dependability of a vendor is critical.

With the heart bleed thing hurting BlackBerry 's security reputation on UDS recently.

I don't know why it should any more than any other company that got caught on their back-foot on that, including many companies with generally good reputations like Cisco, Juniper, HP, Oracle, etc.

The Banks were notably absent from that group since they're typically Microsoft shops and/or don't bother with OSS, but then again there's a nasty unpatched 0-day vuln in IE these days, too.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    04-30-14 07:22 AM
    I would NEVER agree to BYOD.

Give me a phone and I will use it. My personal phone is my own.
    My better half, thinks exactly like you.
    04-30-14 07:45 AM
    OP must be difficult to work with...

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 07:53 AM
    OP must be difficult to work with...

Posted via CB10
    You don't know the half of it....
    04-30-14 08:04 AM
    It would help if RIM/BlackBerry weren't in the habit of shooting themselves in the foot all the time.

Finally Chen seems to be beefing up the enterprise organization, I see this among other things in their job listings. But the history of bumbling could be hard for people to forget. Especially in large organizations where the stability and reliability and dependability of a vendor is critical.
    TH's biggest mistake was throwing up the white flag and telling the WORLD that BlackBerry was FOR SALE. Lot of enterprise customers were a little concerend before that, afterwards they were in a panic.

Chen has tried to make BlackBerry appear like a stable company (sure has worked for a few here), but they have yet to SHOW signs of a turn around. And one minute he wants enterprise, then it's low end developing market devices, then it's a return to BBOS and dual platforms, then its a return to the "classic"...... basically he is chasing dollars. Maybe it works... and maybe it doesn't - who really wants to bet their job on it?

Sure the government (or DoD) can afford a plan B, but for a small company with say 200 smartphone users going to go with BES along with GOOD or Mobile Iron running as a backup might not be the most practical way to go?
    04-30-14 08:05 AM
    My better half, thinks exactly like you.
    Yup....when I'm on a vacay I'm on a vacay. Work BlackBerry stays at home. Couldn't do that if I were on BYOD.
    wincyUt likes this.
    04-30-14 08:05 AM
    TH's biggest mistake was throwing up the white flag and telling the WORLD that BlackBerry was FOR SALE. Lot of enterprise customers were a little concerend before that, afterwards they were in a panic.

Chen has tried to make BlackBerry appear like a stable company (sure has worked for a few here), but they have yet to SHOW signs of a turn around. And one minute he wants enterprise, then it's low end developing market devices, then it's a return to BBOS and dual platforms, then its a return to the "classic"...... basically he is chasing dollars. Maybe it works... and maybe it doesn't - who really wants to bet their job on it?

Sure the government (or DoD) can afford a plan B, but for a small company with say 200 smartphone users going to go with BES along with GOOD or Mobile Iron running as a backup might not be the most practical way to go?
    I'm sure that small companies might be well served by going to Good or Mobile Iron. It's always the issue...."good enough" security and what works best.

My frame of reference is government; all of my professional career since leaving university has been government, I picked it with an eye towards good health insurance and retirement. I know, a bit too conservative for a grad. But the strategy has worked for me. And since going into IT my whole focus has been the integrity of my systems. Nothing but BlackBerry has been "good enough" in my mind. My current management disagrees. I'm getting out, let them do what they will.

In my opinion, Good and Mobile Iron are woefully lacking when compared to BES. Knox was promising but the promise of that is now gone, from what I gather. In my mind, a government agency should *NEVER* run BYOD and secure agencies should *ONLY* run BlackBerry. But I lost, they won. I'm getting out.

I say that while acknowledging that for my personal use I see no problem with my iPhone and my SGIII....in case someone tries to throw those in my face....
    04-30-14 08:17 AM
    Of course, it was always easier for IT departments to manage their own-issued devices.

But be careful what you wish for - as evidenced by your second comment. It is my personal opinion that a huge amount of the bizarro knee-jerk negativity that so many people have towards just the mention of Blackberry these days is due to the many years of people having been forced to use mediocre and heavily locked-down Blackberries at work. In fact, I'd say it is precisely those negative assocations that largely drives the trendiness of BYOD nowadays. It seems that to lots of people, those were memories not unlike having been sent to prison or something.
    A work phone only needs to provide the communication capabilities of the organization that purchases it. It does not need to be a high-end entertainment device, unless it is for media/entertainment type positions.

I really don't want my boss to give me one of those dusty curves, mainly because I own a better phone already, my Z10. I also don't want a work phone, because that would only mean she would probably call or email me more than she already does.
    04-30-14 11:25 AM

I don't know why it should any more than any other company that got caught on their back-foot on that, including many companies with generally good reputations like Cisco, Juniper, HP, Oracle, etc.

The Banks were notably absent from that group since they're typically Microsoft shops and/or don't bother with OSS, but then again there's a nasty unpatched 0-day vuln in IE these days, too.
    Their recent "Good Security / Government Security" campaign is one reason. Another is that they are the only major MDM that had their main product vulnerable. That same product is/was being evaluated by DoD and other FedGov agencies for multi platform MDM.
    04-30-14 11:34 AM
    BYOD is a joke, but BES10 and soon BES12 is the solution to this dilemma to an extent. Best to have the same devices across the board. We learned that quickly at our company and we are all back to BlackBerry. My brother in law's company switch to iphone and for security it had to be locked down so bad they have access to 30 apps only which are corporate and travel related. BB10 devices have a corporate and personal side......they still are the best corporate solution. if your company choses BB, the z30 is a better choice than the z10, else the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 02:47 PM
    Wow, who'da thunk!

PS: the link works. Thanks for posting.
    yes who'd a thunk it, for large firms its really not smart to do so, it was only a matter of time before the points were made about it.
    04-30-14 04:15 PM
    BYOD is a joke, but BES10 and soon BES12 is the solution to this dilemma to an extent. Best to have the same devices across the board. We learned that quickly at our company and we are all back to BlackBerry. My brother in law's company switch to iphone and for security it had to be locked down so bad they have access to 30 apps only which are corporate and travel related. BB10 devices have a corporate and personal side......they still are the best corporate solution. if your company choses BB, the z30 is a better choice than the z10, else the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, on BES I had no access to any apps. At all. Not even the Weather Channel. Nothing. Niente. Zip.

BES10 is not being widely adopted, that I have been able to see.
    04-30-14 06:08 PM
    BYOD is definitely a mistake. People will laugh at how silly things were 'back when you were supposed to use your own phone at work'...

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 06:24 PM
    BYOD isn't going anywhere, even federal government is looking to go that route. It isn't a matter of capability, but of policy. There are limited polite already. To discount the move to BYOD is a grave mistake, one that BlackBerry has already done.

BES10 Cloud needs to get Fed Ramp ASAP. Other products odder similar solutions and ARE approved. MaaS360 for instance.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and Poirots Progeny like this.
    05-01-14 05:18 AM
    BYOD isn't going anywhere, even federal government is looking to go that route. It isn't a matter of capability, but of policy. There are limited polite already. To discount the move to BYOD is a grave mistake, one that BlackBerry has already done.

BES10 Cloud needs to get Fed Ramp ASAP. Other products odder similar solutions and ARE approved. MaaS360 for instance.

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely correct Sith!

Also, the not so sharpest knives in the drawer are making the decisions on BYOD/COPE for their environments.
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    05-01-14 09:31 AM
    Absolutely correct Sith!

Also, the not so sharpest knives in the drawer are making the decisions on BYOD/COPE for their environments.
    Also with employee stipends this can come out of a different pot of money than IT expenses, which means your IT decision makers are looking to lower their bottom line.
    05-01-14 10:35 AM
    Also with employee stipends this can come out of a different pot of money than IT expenses, which means your IT decision makers are looking to lower their bottom line.
    Well, the jury is still out there, depend upon how visible is the hidden cost. There are also CYOD, which strike a middle ground. Topic: Consumerization Follow via: RSSEmail Alert
    CYOD to rise amid 'death' of BYOD in 2014, forecasts IDC
    Summary: "Choose" rather than "bring" your own device will become the main enterprise mobile strategy, because it enables better security and mobilization of applications, according to IDC's Asia-Pacific Predictions for 2014.

By Ryan Huang | November 27, 2013 -- 08:27 GMT (00:27 PST)

Posted via CB10
    05-01-14 11:23 AM
    My girlfriend works for a large financial company. A couple of months ago she attended a meeting with the rep from a major new corporate customer. As they were talking about setting up the account details he asked what BES system they used for their IT guys. When informed they have not used BlackBerry for years and use iPhones the rep just stared at them . He said they take their security vary seriously and my have to reevaluate their contract. The VP said they will have their IT people look into it. The rep said OK ,till then he will send a BlackBerry on their system over to use for their account. My girlfriend ever helpful held up her Z10 and said she has one . He said that will work, one of their IT people will come by and put it on their system and get together with her company IT people and go over security. So it looks like some embarrassed iPhone fan boys are moving back to BES! She couldn't wait to tell me.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-14 12:03 PM
    You're thinking of this in a very binary way. I understand it, but it's kind of the logic as saying, "Apple is a computer company", but wait, "now they have a cloud service, so they're a cloud company". "And they make office software, so they're a software company" or "Apple TV, so they're a media company". Companies can and do have multiple areas of interest, but may focus on one more than another.

If Chen spends 70% of his available resources (people, money etc) on enterprise initiatives, but only 20% of it on consumer initiatives, he's focusing on enterprise yet not walking away from the consumer market.

Likewise, if he's doing a quick run of BlackBerry 7 devices without spending any of his resources on designing, developing and testing new BlackBerry 7 models in order to fulfill existing demand, that's extremely different from him releasing a new Bold 10,900 model running BlackBerry 8.0.
    Omnitech and Poirots Progeny like this.
    05-01-14 05:58 PM
    Well, the jury is still out there, depend upon how visible is the hidden cost. There are also CYOD, which strike a middle ground. Topic: Consumerization Follow via: RSSEmail Alert
    CYOD to rise amid 'death' of BYOD in 2014, forecasts IDC
    Summary: "Choose" rather than "bring" your own device will become the main enterprise mobile strategy, because it enables better security and mobilization of applications, according to IDC's Asia-Pacific Predictions for 2014.

By Ryan Huang | November 27, 2013 -- 08:27 GMT (00:27 PST)

Posted via CB10
    This CYOD is nothing new. Many companies have offered limited choice in devices for a few years, since the first BYOD movements anyway. While it does lower support and development costs, you still run into the slowness of supporting new devices. It also differs very little from COPE (corporate owned personally enabled) which is a new buzz word. (and GOPE for government). The dust will settle eventually and we will see some form of BYOD or CYOD on one end and COPE or GOPE on the other.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-14 04:15 AM
    Per-employee cost of BYOD will triple by 2016, predicts Gartner - FierceMobileIT
    The hidden costs of BYOD - FierceMobileIT

BYOD has its own costs, and people are banking on the benefits outweighing those costs. It is WAY too early to tell in the BYOD trend to see if this balances out or not. For some it may, some it may actually be a great thing (small businesses, no IT support, very little IT controls, no worry about loss of data, etc), and for some it may end up costing SIGNIFICANTLY more.
    Yea but small businesses have for the most part always been BYOD even b4 people started talking about BYOD & turning it into a catchphrase.

Posted via CB10
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    05-02-14 07:23 AM
    Totally disagree.

If you don't think that anyone with a clue on Wall St. or in any business with a vested interest did not already know how dire the financial situation was at the company at that point and what their very limited options (including sale of the company at the top of that list) were, I think you are naive.

Because if Heins had not made it clear that such an option were on the table, then he would have been excoriated for having his head in the sand the same way he did at the beginning of his CEO tenure when he infamously proclaimed that "everything is fine". Not to mention most likely have shareholder lawsuits up the yinyang over breach of fiduciary duty.

Just going up there and proclaiming "Everything is fine" again would have been way worse, not to mention an insult to people's intelligence.
    05-05-14 10:22 AM
98 ... 234