Like any fan, I absolutely LOVE the hardware interface. BUT...

My first smartphone was the 9810, and although I did like what it did, I became almost immediately disappointed to learn that a lot of what I was led to expect was rumor and implication, which appeared to be more about keeping stock value high than delivering. Ok, though, as I said, I still liked the phone.

THEN, I became eligible for an upgrade with AT&T, and could not resist snagging a Classic, which I also absolutely LOVE. Yes, there's still a few shortcomings, but having some android available made the BB10 experience a lot of fun.

Now I have taken advantage of the free update from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and there's no use rehashing what that has meant for us. As a tech who maintains smooth equipment though periodic backups and restores, losing Link functionality (and all my previous restore points) is a serious letdown. NO, I do not want to learn the workarounds or buy other software, I just want what I paid for.

After researching the Windows 10/BB10 issues, and learning that RIM has essentially moved on, without so much as a backward glance, I have to say that's it for me. As attractive as the KEYone is, I don't like being pushed around. Here's the rub, I am still liable for another $145 of Next payments with AT&T, but no longer get everything I originally paid for.

AT&T agrees, and even though they didn't have to, they've hooked me up with a free Samsung plus case / screen protector / and shipping.

I will learn to live without the physical keyboard rather than continue to do business with RIM, or whatever they're calling themselves these days. And that is that. Since BB also killed their support forum, I'm saying so here. This is no reflection on Crackberry or the fine people here.

(I have a 9810 and a Classic available for sale, but am not sure I am eligible to post in the Market)
    Last edited by augidog; 05-07-17 at 01:28 PM.
    rt2567 likes this.
    05-07-17 01:14 PM
    When did you do all of this? Win 10 breaking Link has been a known issue for some time.
    05-07-17 01:28 PM
    So, this all comes down to Link? It was horrible even when it WAS supported.

In any event, BlackBerry no longer makes devices. The KeyOne is by TCL.
    05-07-17 01:31 PM
    I pulled the trigger on the Windows update a few weeks back. Being unaware is on me, everything was going smoothly so I wasn't researching, but even if I had been aware, I would never let my phone override my PC.
    05-07-17 01:36 PM
    Aren't there other options for backing it up? Does it still work as an external device when plugged in? You could at least copy all your data to back it up.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-17 01:36 PM
    no it doesn't "all come down to link" it comes down to a company who has no problem thumbing its nose at its customers.

it's not like I expect anyone to care about my rant, especially BB, but I do feel better for saying my piece.
    05-07-17 01:38 PM
    it is completely functional, as a phone and as a USB drive. i cannot access any backups or conduct any synchs with my PC. matter of fact, i had to rebuild my contact list after realizing too late that a flush and refill wasn't possible. and rather than continue down that road, i am moving on.
    05-07-17 01:43 PM
    Do you use Hotmail/Outlook.com by chance?

Posted via CB10
    05-07-17 02:23 PM
    I have no issues with Windows 10 or link

Black Passport and Blue Classic
    05-07-17 02:34 PM
    And I find the hit or miss results perplexing, some do and some don't. But please, just look at my rant for what it is, I don't like being manipulated by a company i supported with lots of my cash. All that needed doing was a Windows 10 compatible version of Link, one last release, and apparently that was too much to expect.
    05-07-17 02:41 PM
    it is completely functional, as a phone and as a USB drive. i cannot access any backups or conduct any synchs with my PC. matter of fact, i had to rebuild my contact list after realizing too late that a flush and refill wasn't possible. and rather than continue down that road, i am moving on.
    Does att provide a cloud service? Verizon does and you can back up contacts and pics and so forth that. I don't like having stuff on the cloud but I should at least let them back up contacts. That could be an option if att has it
    05-07-17 02:41 PM
    BlackBerry has a really bad habit of abandoning projects. As soon as they can't get any money out of it, the abandon the project and the customer. Yes this makes sense from a basic financial point of view, but it's a terrible way to treat your customers. It's probably a big reason why there is so much hate and animosity towards them.

Posted via CB10
    rt2567 likes this.
    05-07-17 04:30 PM
    i have all my music pics and other files at hand, what i don't have is any way to access a working backup should anything occur. also, the only fresh contact list is on my sim, because the one that was synched with my PC is as good as gone. i'm not here asking for technical advice, i know how to safeguard my data and use my device in general, but with the loss of Link, which always worked perfectly for my needs, BB10 feels unreliable and unprotected in the long run.
    05-07-17 04:31 PM
    and there it is, Drenegade, you get what i'm saying...which is "this is no fun any more, and i personally have had enough."
    05-07-17 04:32 PM
    When did you do all of this? Win 10 breaking Link has been a known issue for some time.
    I tunes broke link in windows 10. Win 10 and link? I don't know about the backup feature in link. I just drag and drop things in windows explorer. Or use SD card to keep data BU or safe. I don't want to depend on software glitches as much as possible.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    05-07-17 04:34 PM

My first smartphone was the 9810, and although I did like what it did, I became almost immediately disappointed to learn that a lot of what I was led to expect was rumor and implication, which appeared to be more about keeping stock value high than delivering. Ok, though, as I said, I still liked the phone.

THEN, I became eligible for an upgrade with AT&T, and could not resist snagging a Classic, which I also absolutely LOVE. Yes, there's still a few shortcomings, but having some android available made the BB10 experience a lot of fun.

Now I have taken advantage of the free update from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and there's no use rehashing what that has meant for us. As a tech who maintains smooth equipment though periodic backups and restores, losing Link functionality (and all my previous restore points) is a serious letdown. NO, I do not want to learn the workarounds or buy other software, I just want what I paid for.

After researching the Windows 10/BB10 issues, and learning that RIM has essentially moved on, without so much as a backward glance, I have to say that's it for me. As attractive as the KEYone is, I don't like being pushed around. Here's the rub, I am still liable for another $145 of Next payments with AT&T, but no longer get everything I originally paid for.

AT&T agrees, and even though they didn't have to, they've hooked me up with a free Samsung plus case / screen protector / and shipping.

I will learn to live without the physical keyboard rather than continue to do business with RIM, or whatever they're calling themselves these days. And that is that. Since BB also killed their support forum, I'm saying so here. This is no reflection on Crackberry or the fine people here.

(I have a 9810 and a Classic available for sale, but am not sure I am eligible to post in the Market)
    I'm curious, because I'm just starting to use my phones more than just for apps, what do you use in place of Link on your new phone?
    05-07-17 04:47 PM
    I tunes broke link in windows 10. Win 10 and link? I don't know about the backup feature in link. I just drag and drop things in windows explorer. Or use SD card to keep data BU or safe. I don't want to depend on software glitches as much as possible.

the first time i opened Link after upgrading to Windows 10, was when I discovered that backup and restore isn't working, I don't have itunes. after a few reinstalls, including cleansing the registry, Link still won't work. why some PCs do and some don't , i cannot explain, and i am not inclined to mess with my PC when i can simply abandon BB like they have abandoned me.
    05-07-17 04:50 PM
    I'm curious, because I'm just starting to use my phones more than just for apps, what do you use in place of Link on your new phone?
    well, as far as i know, for BB10, nothing if you have windows 10. Samsung offers Kies, and even though I don't have my phone yet, Kies is installed and seems like it will do what I need.
    05-07-17 04:51 PM

Using ITunes, Outlook and Link on Win 10 and everything is running beaoutiful
    05-07-17 10:21 PM

I, too, have had it with Blackberry as a company. There consistent record of giving up support for their products is a case study in the mobile corporate world. First experience is with the Playbook, several times confirming that it would get BB10 OS upgrade. And the most recent change of course to Android OS, definitively abandoning their propriety OS and support, despite acknowledging continued support - a salesman's promise to sell their remaining stock of phones. The company tends to over promise and under deliver. Now, with android phones, taking into account their track record, I would not be surprise if future proof upgrades will be stated but not followed through. Really, all they care about is their bottom line; customers take a back seat. A shame, really, for a Canadian company to have such a low regard towards paying customers.
    05-08-17 12:46 AM
    A shame, really, for a Canadian company to have such a low regard towards paying customers.
    It's not that BB has "low regard" for their customers - it's that the entire line of business was killing them, and as tough as it was, that business (and, obviously, the relatively few remaining customers associated with that business) had to go. BB didn't do that because they wanted to screw their customers; they did it because they wanted to survive, and that was literally the only way to do so.

The only surprise here is that anyone could be surprised by any of this, considering what BB experienced in 2013 (huge failure of their critical new products [BB10 and BES], putting the company up for sale, and getting no buyers!) and 2014 (laying off nearly 6,000 employees in 5 rounds of layoffs, including nearly all BB10-related developers, selling off all of their buildings, and moving to Android). To not have been able to see the writing on the wall, and to have taken that "We continue to support BB10" marketing spin at face value, was pure denial. Clearly, many were in denial.

BB would have loved to have seen it go another way, but by the time Mike and Jim left, the Titanic called BB10 was already flooded to the bowline - there was no way to prevent it from sinking. That Heins and Chen were able to save the company as a whole is practically a miracle.

We all understand that you're upset at the situation, but there's nothing new about the situation - most of us could see this coming since at least 2014 (BB10 no longer able to meet people's needs).

Having said that, Android is a completely different game. BB fans will probably prefer BB's implementation of Android above most others, but Android also has the advantage that, should BB stop supporting their Android phones, it is simple and fairly painless to move to another OEM's Android - and if you're using cloud services to sync your data, it's almost automatic. That makes the risk of going with BB's Android fairly low; you're really just risking the life of the hardware, not the entire platform.
    Chris Townsend3 likes this.
    05-08-17 01:07 AM
    It's not that BB has "low regard" for their customers - it's that the entire line of business was killing them, and as tough as it was, that business (and, obviously, the relatively few remaining customers associated with that business) had to go. BB didn't do that because they wanted to screw their customers; they did it because they wanted to survive, and that was literally the only way to do so.
    I wasn't objecting to their move to Android, which was necessary for their survival. Just that their customer communication leaves a lot to be desired. Don't make statements unless they are absolutely sure they will follow through and are able to fulfill them. And if they misspoke on the subject then at least an explanation if not an apology. If apps break and they know it will affect customers, says so and be done with it. People are not as childish as they think. A lot of backlash to their mobile business is rooted in poor communication. Blackberry sees its customers simply and purely as dollar signs, and while its purpose is to make money, it shouldn't be done in the method of a used car salesman.
    Linlithgow0 likes this.
    05-08-17 01:58 AM
    I wasn't objecting to their move to Android, which was necessary for their survival. Just that their customer communication leaves a lot to be desired. Don't make statements unless they are absolutely sure they will follow through and are able to fulfill them. And if they misspoke on the subject then at least an explanation if not an apology. If apps break and they know it will affect customers, says so and be done with it. People are not as childish as they think. A lot of backlash to their mobile business is rooted in poor communication. Blackberry sees its customers simply and purely as dollar signs, and while its purpose is to make money, it shouldn't be done in the method of a used car salesman.
    Oh, I agree that BB has long had very poor customer communication. I think there is a LOT of fear in the C-suite about admitting failure and officially acknowledging that the BB10 era is over. Really, BB needed to be able to sell off their remaining stocks of phones and get as much cash out of that stock as they could, so that prevented them from being as straightforward as they should have been.

The other issue is that BB's organization structure has been a huge mess for a long, long time. Mike wasn't a businessman, he was an engineer, and because he never put a real corporate structure in place that made sense, he was always reacting to one disaster or another, and there wasn't a good chain-of-command to keep things aligned and focused as there should have been. Losing The Signal talks about that, but I think that problem is still with BB today. The various parts don't know what the others are doing and there is a lack of synergy and coordination - and THAT leads to disorganization that the execs are afraid to reveal - and transparent communications would definitely make it hard to conceal that from anyone who is paying attention.
    Linlithgow0 likes this.
    05-08-17 02:04 AM
    Oh, I agree that BB has long had very poor customer communication. I think there is a LOT of fear in the C-suite about admitting failure and officially acknowledging that the BB10 era is over. Really, BB needed to be able to sell off their remaining stocks of phones and get as much cash out of that stock as they could, so that prevented them from being as straightforward as they should have been.

The other issue is that BB's organization structure has been a huge mess for a long, long time. Mike wasn't a businessman, he was an engineer, and because he never put a real corporate structure in place that made sense, he was always reacting to one disaster or another, and there wasn't a good chain-of-command to keep things aligned and focused as there should have been. Losing The Signal talks about that, but I think that problem is still with BB today. The various parts don't know what the others are doing and there is a lack of synergy and coordination - and THAT leads to disorganization that the execs are afraid to reveal - and transparent communications would definitely make it hard to conceal that from anyone who is paying attention.
    I really have to read that book one day. It's really unfortunate about their inefficient corporate structure. They make beautiful and practical products. But their execution is dismal.
    Linlithgow0 likes this.
    05-08-17 02:15 AM
    So which is it? Windows 10 and BlackBerry Link.
    Does Windows 10 cause Link not to function, or is there no problem?
    Some say yes, others say no.
    Firstly a change in how Windows is backwards compatible is not BlackBerry's fault, Its Microsofts, so go complain to Microsoft....and see where that will get you.
    Secondly, if it works for some, how about listing the version of Window's 10 you are using? Same for those who claim it doesn't work (home/professional versions etc)

Maybe its a service that has been stopped in Windows, by the user or the setup.
    For those who know how to fix the problem, what is the workaround or proper config for the win10/os change?

I know there is a version that has totally stripped out some essential functionality, but not sure which one that is called (Windows 10 Student /Education ?).
    05-08-17 02:37 AM
26 12