I wan't to know more than I do - perhaps someone has this answer:

If I buy a wifi blackberry and tether it to my Verizon 9650 for 3G coverage, I assume I would then be able to surf web etc with 3G speed. Presuming BB finally gets it act together and releases LTE speed phones in 2012, is it safe to assume tethering the 2011 bought playbook with the LTE speed bb would allow for LTE speed web surfing etc on the playbook? Or is the pending Sprint 4G option the only announced way we will see 4G speed on a blackberry?

You can see where I am going with this - I wan't to jump on the playbook early, yet do not wish to be tagged with a 3g speed max device. I presume it will go as fast as the tethering bb phone will be equipped to 'let it' go.

Please confirm/deny/debate, thanks!
    01-16-11 01:36 PM
    I would assume tethering to a 4G device would work fine, just consider the speed of of Bluetooth to be the choke point.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-11 01:57 PM
    ok, so the whole `4g` debate aside, im not sure what the limitations on bluetooth tethering are. id suggest that the rumored specs for newer BB`s show wifi hotspot capabilities which are going to be better.
    so id say if you have a wifi hotspot phone, ditch the bluetooth connection and then you can run at the speed of your hotspot, which will be more based on your phone/signal
    01-16-11 02:00 PM
    Agree with others.
    If you want to be an early adapter get a WiFi only device, as that will give you the best speeds and support.
    01-16-11 03:09 PM
    ok, so the whole `4g` debate aside, im not sure what the limitations on bluetooth tethering are. id suggest that the rumored specs for newer BB`s show wifi hotspot capabilities which are going to be better.
    so id say if you have a wifi hotspot phone, ditch the bluetooth connection and then you can run at the speed of your hotspot, which will be more based on your phone/signal
    I think this tethering with a BB phone is only possible for email and such, not web browsing so 3G, 4G would not even come into play. That is what people seem to get confused with. Unless you buy one that has it's own radio, in that case why tether at all.
    01-16-11 03:18 PM
    I think this tethering with a BB phone is only possible for email and such, not web browsing so 3G, 4G would not even come into play. That is what people seem to get confused with. Unless you buy one that has it's own radio, in that case why tether at all.
    You can browse the internet when tethered to a BB.
    youre getting confused with the sync aspects.
    01-16-11 03:20 PM
    You can browse the internet when tethered to a BB.
    youre getting confused with the sync aspects.
    I very well may be confused about it. The PB does not interest me in the least anyway.
    01-16-11 03:27 PM
    the bridge is for calendar/bbm/email

tethering is for internet (which was the focus of the question)

i get the bridge part of it and have no issues with that -
    01-16-11 03:32 PM
    the bridge is for calendar/bbm/email

tethering is for internet (which was the focus of the question)

i get the bridge part of it and have no issues with that -
    I'm starting to understand, IMHO, it is bringing less to the table than the other tabs on the market at this time.
    01-16-11 03:37 PM
    Tethering with a 4g blackberry should work fine. All the phone is is a modem so whatever speed the phone can push to the pb it will support but you must also look at the bluetooth speed restriction of 3mb/s so that is what can slow you down not the phone but the bluetooth connection.

01-16-11 03:41 PM
    I'm starting to understand, IMHO, it is bringing less to the table than the other tabs on the market at this time.
    Really? U think the playbook is bringing less to the market than the other devices? Have u seen what it can do? Have u read reviews? Use ur friend google first then come comment.

01-16-11 03:42 PM
    Really? U think the playbook is bringing less to the market than the other devices? Have u seen what it can do? Have u read reviews? Use ur friend google first then come comment.

lol, the PB REQUIRING the bridge and tether when other tablets can do the "bridge" functions without the bridge, i would say that is less, not more. i dont need to google to find how other tablets can bring more to the table.
    Kerms likes this.
    01-16-11 04:07 PM
    lol, the PB REQUIRING the bridge and tether when other tablets can do the "bridge" functions without the bridge, i would say that is less, not more. i dont need to google to find how other tablets can bring more to the table.
    I agree. I have followed this thing too. No expandable memory was a no go right off the top. Don't get that, no matter what their excuse is. I also read that apps can only be installed through AppWorld at present too,WTF.
    01-16-11 04:12 PM
    I agree. I have followed this thing too. No expandable memory was a no go right off the top. Don't get that, no matter what their excuse is. I also read that apps can only be installed through AppWorld at present too,WTF.
    What does that mean? Does it mean you'll have to hook your PB up to a computer to install apps?

I could live without the card slot. I'm not sure I can make do without exchange active sync

Also the iPad doesn't have card slot and it seems to do well although rumors are it will have one this go around
    01-16-11 04:25 PM
    What does that mean? Does it mean you'll have to hook your PB up to a computer to install apps?

I could live without the card slot. I'm not sure I can make do without exchange active sync

Also the iPad doesn't have card slot and it seems to do well although rumors are it will have one this go around
    I read that the other day,that AppWorld was the only way to get apps on it, now whether that means wifi of through computer RIM hadn't confirmed. I will look for the article again and post the link.
    01-16-11 04:34 PM
    01-16-11 04:53 PM
    I didn't see where it said Apps would have to be downloaded via Appworld.

I'm not sure how App World works. Won't there be an App world app on the PB and you click it and then just download apps to the PB that way..

I hope you're not saying that App world won't be on the PB and you have to use a BB to transfer them to the PB.
    01-16-11 05:14 PM
    crapworld works on the device, it would actually mean you CANT install off the PC would be my guess. that also means you cant use mobihand or just a person personal website like in the past to get apps. BB wants a cut of all people buying stuff it would appear. I hope this is not true and also hope if its true that it will change very quickly to install from anywhere like you have now
    01-16-11 05:19 PM
    Ok so that sounds like it's no difference than an idevice.

Android is the only one that I can think of that has different app stores or can be loaded from different places.
    01-16-11 05:38 PM
    BlackBerry App World for BlackBerry PlayBook Revealed by Promotional Video

Here is another and in defense of all concerned it does state that "initially" apps will only come from AppWorld. So you will only get what is offered there.
    01-16-11 05:45 PM
    It's going to start like an iDevice (to build up momentum for the App Store), and then it'll allow sideloading/3rd party app stores in a future update.
    01-16-11 05:55 PM
    I dont have a problem with that.

What will be interesting is will there be a community like XDA for android and jailbreakers for idevices.
    01-16-11 05:58 PM
    I probably should have rephrased that. I do believe that's how it'll start. Since I got my problem fixed on my BB, I see no need to load a hybrid OS so will be sticking to the normal official OS on that, and I won't be "jailbreaking" my PB either.
    01-16-11 06:00 PM
    lol, the PB REQUIRING the bridge and tether when other tablets can do the "bridge" functions without the bridg
    care to actually back that up with proof? not `if` or `but` but an actual solid statement? short answer is you cant as of right now.
    01-16-11 06:05 PM
    crapworld works on the device, it would actually mean you CANT install off the PC would be my guess. that also means you cant use mobihand or just a person personal website like in the past to get apps. BB wants a cut of all people buying stuff it would appear. I hope this is not true and also hope if its true that it will change very quickly to install from anywhere like you have now
    while its appworld only to start, RIM have been very open in making appworld free to become a vendor for, and free to upload stuff, so its by no means a hardship for a developer to sign up to a free portal (which will have the greater audience over any other site).

also from the way its said it does sound like that`ll change down the line, but if its a paid app then appworld offers the vendor a better percentage anyways.
    01-16-11 06:09 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD