Being so new to all of this I could probably post a few questions a day.

How does it work when you buy an unlocked phone from ebay or elsewhere?
    Do you buy the phone and advise your carrier to upgrade to the data plan?

Could you buy for example an unlocked Tour to use with AT&T?

I am assuming unlocked means that I can use the device with any carrier?

How would you get a phone unlocked?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks
    08-25-09 11:25 AM
    Unlocking applies to phones that use GSM/EDGE cellular technology.

Wireless Networks

Fully-functional World Phone that supports global roaming on 3G networks
    Quad-Band: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE networks
    Single-Band: 2100 MHz UMTS/HSPA networks
    Dual-Band: 800/1900 MHz CDMA/EVDO Rev A networks
    The Tour is a World Phone, in that it can be used on any carriers network after it has been unlocked.

Unfortunalty, it is still up to the CDMA carrier to allow a non-branded phone on their network. Some will, others ....

Could you buy for example an unlocked Tour to use with AT&T?
    The good news is, AT&T uses 3G & GSM. Once it has been unlocked, you can use an AT&T SIM.

How would you get a phone unlocked?
    Unlocking is simple, you buy a code from one of the many unlock code vendors.
    08-25-09 12:40 PM
    An unlocked tour can indeed be used on AT&T's network, however you will only get EDGE not 3G as the tour doesn't have the radio to get on AT&T's 3G network. Should you go overseas then you will be able to use it on other GSM networks and get 3G

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-09 02:24 PM
    If you are considering getting a Tour to use on ATT, you should also consider getting a Bold, or a Curve 8900, OR waiting for the release of the upcoming 9700 (possibly called Merlin). All 3 of those devices are better suited for a GSM network. The Tour on ATT would basically be equal to an 8900, EXCEPT the 8900 has wifi and the Tour does not. The Bold would have 3G, wifi, and a better CPU (the "brains" chip of the BB), over the Tour, BUT it has a 2.0 camera and only 128 MBs App memory compared to the Tour's 3.2 and 256. Note that the 8900 has the 3.2 cam and the 256. Best bet thou would be to wait on the 9700, which would be all of the above, 3G, wifi, better cpu, 3.2 cam, AND 256 mem.
    08-25-09 02:42 PM
    Thanx for the info. I should have been clear,
    I was using the Tour as an example only but you answered the questions. Thanks.

The safe bet would seem to be to stay with the phones that your carrier sells? With AT&T I am considering the Bold, the 8900 or trying to wait for the 9700. I happened to see phones for sale on ebay and wondered how that worked.
    08-25-09 02:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD