Hello,
    I want to develop mobile sites and apps for the BlackBerry but use another phone as my primary one and want to avoid monthly charges.

If I buy an unlocked BB is there anyway to use its wifi to browse the web and download apps without buying into any sort of voice or data plan?

Someone told me the only thing I could do would be to buy the unlocked BB and get a voice plan and then use that SIM card to use Wifi/Apps. Is that the only option?

ALSO: I'm on a mac, is there anyway to browse BB apps on my computer instead of just on the device?

Thanks!
    Adam
    10-15-10 02:43 PM
    Moving to BB Discussion, where it will get more traffic, and the answers you seek.
    10-16-10 09:10 PM
    Nope. Won't work. Even with wifi the data still goes through BIS before it comes to you. No service = no BIS.

Now Android you can do everything with just wifi. Even voip calls.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-10 10:47 PM
    Nope. Won't work. Even with wifi the data still goes through BIS before it comes to you. No service = no BIS.

Now Android you can do everything with just wifi. Even voip calls.

Or any other phone with wifi.

Basic data will work, but email, default browser (maybe hotspot will work), facebook, and RIM's instant messaging applications won't.
    10-16-10 11:07 PM
    I suggest you just get a pocket pc that has java and run either opera mini or bolt, or an android tablet. You don't want to spend $600 on a device which won't be of much use.

10-17-10 12:18 AM
    I want to develop mobile sites and apps for the BlackBerry ...

I'm on a mac ...
    You have set a few challenges for yourself.

You don't need to have a BlackBerry to develop and test applications, that is done using a BlackBerry simulator running on a PC computer with the rest of the Software Development Kit (SDK).

Is there a SDK available for Macintosh? The odds are against it.

You can browser the BlackBerry App World selection from a PC, but you can only download and install them OTA, with the correct BlackBerry support plan.
    10-17-10 10:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD