Is there a good reason not to BUY RIMM now?

I have been using an iPhone for nearly two years. And I don't really like it for various reasons. Had never quite figure out what was the whole BB deal before but with the only other viable alternatives being Android and W7 now, took a long hard look at BB. And I think I like it.

I am not a professional investor, but what with the hype and media bashing of RIMM, I had a closer look at the numbers.

Nett income of 1B on revenue of 18B with no debts in 2012, on a company beaten down to 6.2B total ......in the space of 52 weeks.

I don't even own a BB yet but I am willing to invest 100K in RIMM. Yes, the potential to depreciate is there but this is actually a solid brick and mortar company with a stable stream of revenue! I can name worse deals now

At $12 .....what is there not to like of RIMM
    Last edited by docgasberry; 05-05-12 at 08:47 PM.
    stevepar likes this.
    05-05-12 08:38 PM
    I think a lot of us are thinking the same way. RIM is under valued!
    diegonei likes this.
    05-05-12 08:55 PM
    Is there a good reason not to BUY RIMM now?

I have been using an iPhone for nearly two years. And I don't really like it for various reasons. Had never quite figure out what was the whole BB deal before but with the only other viable alternatives being Android and W7 now, took a long hard look at BB. And I think I like it.
    If you like BlackBerry devices, then by all means get one. You will need to choose your next device based on what you will use the device for, and which device (whether Android, Windows Phone, or BlackBerry) meets your needs the most

I am not a professional investor, but what with the hype and media bashing of RIMM, I had a closer look at the numbers.

Nett income of 1B on revenue of 18B with no debts in 2012, on a company beaten down to 6.2B total ......in the space of 52 weeks.

I don't even own a BB yet but I am willing to invest 100K in RIMM. Yes, the potential to depreciate is there but this is actually a solid brick and mortar company with a stable stream of revenue! I can name worse deals now

At $12 .....what is there not to like of RIMM
    I would not make any correlation between which device I purchase and whether or not to buy stock in that company.

I own stock in companies whose products I do not use, and in some cases do not even like. My only concern in buying stock is making money.
    05-05-12 08:56 PM
    At $12.00, does anyone truly know where the bottom is on this stock? If someone suggested RIM would drop below $12 back in August or September, members of this forum would ridicule this person. At this point, RIMM is a speculative investment. It has several challenging quarters ahead. It will have ugly results for May and August reporting periods, and probably into December reporting period if phones are only release in November/December timeframe as most speculate.

If you want to invest in RIMM, best to wait until after May results, then start dollar-cost averaging from now until September or October. RIMM stock price will start to rise in the fall in anticipation of BBOS 10 phone's launch. My two cents......
    heulfryn likes this.
    05-05-12 09:07 PM
    Buy it's an 18 month hold.

Sent from my VZW 9330.
    Thunderbuck and ahu89 like this.
    05-05-12 09:13 PM
    I think one of the problems with Rims earnings and stock price is the whole world is waiting for BB10 phones, so nobody is buying BB phones now. Earnings and Rim market share are down.The next two or three quarters are going to be rough. I am certainly waiting for the new phone.
    05-05-12 09:16 PM
    I bought @ $13.25 just before BBWC, Im not worried
    05-05-12 09:24 PM
    I am going to trade / invest in RIMM with the basic assumption that it is a financially sound company; with its fundamentals as it is today, RIMM has better numbers than even some banks!

There has been a lot of doom and gloom prediction as to where RIMM is heading. Even prediction to its imminent demise.

How many listed companies are actually debt free? Without debt how can you go bankrupt? As I see it RIMM will not be bankrupt in the near immediate future so the downside risks are fairly low at $12 (8 years low)
    05-05-12 09:24 PM
    Unfortunately, with BB10 not coming out until late in the year, the earnings are going to stay down. If they actually post a loss (they sort of did last quarter but really it was a paper one), watch RIM dip below $10.

I hold 300 shares, at an average cost of about $15.50, so I'm a little underwater. As bdguru says, I'd call it about an 18 month hold. But I'd probably wait until July/August for that bottom for the best value. It would be nice to think there might be some miracle that will prop up the stock until then, but it's hard to see right at this moment.
    05-05-12 09:29 PM
    Im really looking into this. Right now you can get about 200 shares for about 2000. If it goes up to $20, which i really believe it will, then you are looking at around 1600 gain... Even if it takes 2 years that is pretty good because you are almost doubling your money.
    05-05-12 09:32 PM
    If BB10 works and goes a little above what is expected.....RIM is a 27 dollar stock. just my thought.

Sent from my VZW 9330.
    05-05-12 09:37 PM
    I think that the way Alec was talking in that 26 minute interview there is now a clear goal with BB10. They want to be the platform that devs turn to after iOS, if this happens then i dont see how being the second dev platform wont at least bring stock to $25.

Plus if they get a good quarter where numbers improve that is worth at least $2, followed by another increase of $3 after a seco d seccessful quarter with BB10... all of a sudden youre looking at $30. !!!
    05-05-12 09:43 PM
    Unfortunately, with BB10 not coming out until late in the year, the earnings are going to stay down. If they actually post a loss (they sort of did last quarter but really it was a paper one), watch RIM dip below $10.

I hold 300 shares, at an average cost of about $15.50, so I'm a little underwater. As bdguru says, I'd call it about an 18 month hold. But I'd probably wait until July/August for that bottom for the best value. It would be nice to think there might be some miracle that will prop up the stock until then, but it's hard to see right at this moment.
    @$12, the P/E is less than 4!

Unlike, say NOK, RIMM actually has a steady stream of revenue fr its BBM/BES business. RIMM does not solely depend on hardware sales. I guess earnings will dip for sure until BB10 is out but it'll still be positive earnings - not loss. 2012 earnings was 1.15B. Even if it drops 50%, it is still more than 500M.

And presently it still has 2B cash.

RIMM Annual Income Statement - Research in Motion Ltd. Annual Financials
    05-05-12 09:46 PM
    RIMM may go private.
    05-05-12 09:49 PM
    I agree that there are positves with RIM... But it is clear that NUMBERS are only referenced if they are bad ones. You will always see media hitting on 'lower' numbers... but they are still getting MORE subs and income. They are not going into negatives, and they have reserves. I think that if the next report brings the stock to the $10 range it is a MUST buy.
    gregorylkelly likes this.
    05-05-12 09:52 PM
    U liked your 8330 and then 9330...Now we have this BOLD(best phone ever made). Do you really think that the company is going to loose? My bet is on RIM and the client base of smart buyers, both consumer and Business. Go Rim.

Sent from my VZW 9330.
    RIMM may go private.
    What happens then?
    I'm waiting for $10.00/share and then I'm in. Right before BBWC they were a hair above 14. Yesterday, they were just above 12. It's going to be a few weeks before we see the new Playbook and the potential impact of Fusion. But if the promise and a couple of glimpses of what BB10 is all about doesn't stir the market, I think that we'll see lower before we see higher.
    05-05-12 10:03 PM
    Make sure that you support clients. A happy client, brings you another sold happy believer in the process. An educated BB sales/tech force is important. People listen to those who don't over promise and under deliver!

Sent from my VZW 9330.
    05-05-12 10:05 PM
    Im in the same boat... Im just worried about it going up to 14 before going down to $10. If it goes to $14 then what? Do you wait for 10 or 12 lol. Its especially tough with RIMM bc i dont really see a direct correlation with 'news' and stock prices. Bad news drops it and good news drops it...
    05-05-12 10:07 PM
    I think someone here said they bought @15ish. That said, buy now if you have not. Then, don't look at it until next September. Enjoy the ride.

Sent from my VZW 9330.
    05-05-12 10:16 PM
    Im in the same boat... Im just worried about it going up to 14 before going down to $10. If it goes to $14 then what? Do you wait for 10 or 12 lol. Its especially tough with RIMM bc i dont really see a direct correlation with 'news' and stock prices. Bad news drops it and good news drops it...
    The correlation is between actual product and stock price unless a) you have a proven track record of delivering what you say you will, and/or b) you deliver on your promises shortly after you announce.
    05-05-12 10:20 PM
    Lol. I would be the kind of guy that checked it every 10 minutes... even on the weekend lol
    05-05-12 10:20 PM
    @$12, the P/E is less than 4!

Unlike, say NOK, RIMM actually has a steady stream of revenue fr its BBM/BES business. RIMM does not solely depend on hardware sales. I guess earnings will dip for sure until BB10 is out but it'll still be positive earnings - not loss. 2012 earnings was 1.15B. Even if it drops 50%, it is still more than 500M.

And presently it still has 2B cash.

RIMM Annual Income Statement - Research in Motion Ltd. Annual Financials
    You're preaching to the choir here, son. I'm well aware that RIM is heavily undervalued, but it's also news-driven. I'm pretty sure that about 80% of the dip during Blackberry World came because of the perception that RIM was abandoning keyboards.

RIM is a great value play, and I understand they've got that continuing revenue stream, but they also have operating expenses, and subscriber growth has been slowing. I think that (unfortunately) they may post losses before BB10 has a chance to gain traction.

Now, there's some chance that next quarter, when they post a profit (and they will), some investors may take that as evidence of a rebound, and we might see the stock move up, but the stronger likelihood is that investors will pay more attention to the lower cash position that RIM posts (which they ALSO will).

The quarter after that? Depends. If they find a decent CMO, they might get some better marketing in place by then. Bear in mind that what RIM needs most is a way to market BB7 phones above all else, because BB10 is a completely new platform and not everyone is going there. BB7 has to see RIM through this rough patch, like it or not.
    05-05-12 10:40 PM
    Where do sign up for the job of promoting the best phone 2date(99xx).

Sent from my VZW 9330.
    05-05-12 10:46 PM
139 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD