I currently have an 8830 for sprint and i want to buy a curve. What are the pros and cons of buying blackberries from ebay? is it just as simple as switching SIM cards? i plan on buying one of the brand new ones, but i just wanna know if they are any down sides to doing this.. thanks..
    08-15-08 01:58 AM
    First make sure you use PayPal, that way you will be protected
    in case the device is DOA or not what you expected.

Second, yes swap out the SIM card and use the Device Switch
    Wizard in DM to move everything from the old unit to the new
    08-15-08 02:02 AM

well as far as using the DM to transfer all my stuff, the USB port on my 8830 is broken. i put all my numbers on my simcard so far and everything else is on my media card..im just wondering more on how easy or hard it would be to start using a new phone that i didnt purchase from sprint and weather it was worth it or not...
    08-15-08 02:06 AM
    Well you got a couple of issues.

1) You can copy the contacts from your SIM card en masse
    to your new device with no problem.

2) You HAVE to make sure the phone you are buying is
    a Sprint branded phone as no other phone will be able
    to work on Sprint, even if it is advertised as "unlocked"

3) The memory card issue is really a non-issue as the switch
    will have 0 effect on it. What's on it is what's on it. So
    you got no worries there.
    08-15-08 02:12 AM
    Well you got a couple of issues.

1) You can copy the contacts from your SIM card en masse
    to your new device with no problem.

2) You HAVE to make sure the phone you are buying is
    a Sprint branded phone as no other phone will be able
    to work on Sprint, even if it is advertised as "unlocked"

3) The memory card issue is really a non-issue as the switch
    will have 0 effect on it. What's on it is what's on it. So
    you got no worries there.

thanks..so basicly when i put the simcard in the new phone (granted its a sprint branded phone with a good ESN) all my services should work correctly, and i will have no problem from sprint?
    08-15-08 02:18 AM
    thanks..so basicly when i put the simcard in the new phone (granted its a sprint branded phone with a good ESN) all my services should work correctly, and i will have no problem from sprint?
    No not quite. You will need to log onto the Sprint BIS site and change
    devices.

Your contacts on your SIM card will work fine, but if you want to
    copy them to your BB let me know and I will post the steps.
    08-15-08 02:36 AM
    No not quite. You will need to log onto the Sprint BIS site and change
    devices.

Your contacts on your SIM card will work fine, but if you want to
    copy them to your BB let me know and I will post the steps.
    the sim card transfer i know how to do but the BIS is what i needed to know..Thanks!
    08-15-08 02:40 AM

You will actually need to go onto sprints website https://www.sprint.com/en/support/so...new-phone.html and switch the ESN numbers. Since the op has a CDMA carrier, it's not at simple as just swapping out a SIM card. Even though the 8830 for Sprint has a SIM card slot, it is not used for domestic calls. You don't use a SIM card at all on a Sprint Curve.

Unlike AT&T, which I believe you have AG, CDMA carriers actually don't use SIM cards for domestic calls.
    Last edited by niubeav; 08-15-08 at 03:13 AM.
    08-15-08 03:11 AM
    You will actually need to go onto sprints website https://www.sprint.com/en/support/so...new-phone.html and switch the ESN numbers. Since the op has a CDMA carrier, it's not at simple as just swapping out a SIM card. Even though the 8830 for Sprint has a SIM card slot, it is not used for domestic calls. You don't use a SIM card at all on a Sprint Curve.

Unlike AT&T, which I believe you have AG, CDMA carriers actually don't use SIM cards for domestic calls.
    Thanks for that. I truly did not realize it was different with CDMA and GSM.
    I'm glad you showed up to better explain that. Mea Culpa.
    08-15-08 03:29 AM
    A slight devation from the OP's post...how does paypal actually protect? What happens if a buyer pays the seller and the goods arent delivered or turn out to be lemons?
    08-15-08 03:50 PM
    A slight devation from the OP's post...how does paypal actually protect? What happens if a buyer pays the seller and the goods arent delivered or turn out to be lemons?
    The Buyer can start a dispute process with PayPal. PayPal puts a hold on the Seller money until it is resolved.

PayPal holds on to your money during the dispute resolution. That is how they provide free service, they use your money for a week or more.
    08-15-08 04:01 PM
    Thanks Stoner.
    08-15-08 04:29 PM
    I've actually used the dispute resolution on paypal. Wound up getting $200 out of $215 that I spent back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-08 04:46 PM
    Thanks for that. I truly did not realize it was different with CDMA and GSM.
    I'm glad you showed up to better explain that. Mea Culpa.
    No problem! I just didn't want the OP to be attempting to find the SIM card slot on a CDMA Curve.

08-15-08 04:50 PM
    why do sprint cuves have a sim card then if they dont uset them? ive never used sprint and prolly never will but alot of my friends have sprint and soon when they start getting blackberrys they will want to know. could some one clear this up for me as far as what radios the sprint curve has in it and if they sim cards or not?
    08-15-08 05:36 PM
    When buying your phone from ebay, if at all possible make sure it's brand new, never opened. I purchased my phone from ebay, and it ended up that the person I bought from was a dealer. I always make sure to check their ratings, and see if they have ever had any problems. Also make sure it is a Sprint phone, or that is an unlocked one. I go strictly with the phone for my carrier. Making sure there is a clean ESN# is always important, especially if you buy used. I hope this helps, and good luck with your purchase.
    08-15-08 05:51 PM
    There are competing cellular technologies. GSM and CDMA, only the GSM carriers support locking and portable SIM cards.

08-15-08 05:58 PM
    why do sprint cuves have a sim card then if they dont uset them? ive never used sprint and prolly never will but alot of my friends have sprint and soon when they start getting blackberrys they will want to know. could some one clear this up for me as far as what radios the sprint curve has in it and if they sim cards or not?
    Only the 8830 WE has a SIM card. The rest of them do not. The SIM card on the Sprint 8830 is used to roam globally, thus World Edition.
    08-15-08 08:01 PM
    Only the 8830 WE has a SIM card. The rest of them do not. The SIM card on the Sprint 8830 is used to roam globally, thus World Edition.
    so you you could use the 8830 on tmobile if you wanted to?
    08-15-08 08:33 PM
    ughhh make sure you release the PIN before selling/buying on ebay!

I just sold my 8130 pink pearl, and didn't realize i was to release the pin before deactivating my phone. Poor girl who bought it couldn't run setup wizard, and i called VZW and she had to call to have it released since she had already activated the phone under her account!

I did send her the Crackberry way for help tho...bc she has no idea how to use the darn thing && didnt even realize she needed a special data plan!
    08-15-08 08:38 PM
    so you you could use the 8830 on tmobile if you wanted to?
    No. If you are in the US, a Sprint 8830 can only be used on Sprint. Period. Fin. End of story. When you go internationally, I believe you have to use Sprint approved roaming partners (they give you an international SIM card for your phone).

In the US, T-Mobile and AT&T are GSM technology carriers. Sprint, Verizon, Alltell, US Cellular and a few others are CDMA carriers. The 8830 has a dual radio to use internationally, since overseas, GSM is the more common technology.

The only 8800 series phones you can use on T-Mobile in the US are the 8800 and 8820, both branded for T-mobile, or unlocked through AT&T or another GSM carrier.
    08-15-08 09:13 PM
    all these replies have been super helpful! thanks to everyone for that. so basically the curve for sprint has no simcard slot? so i have to call sprint or activate it online? i plan on buying a "brand new in box" blackberry with a clean ESN so does the releasing of the pin still apply?? thanks again to everyone..
    08-15-08 09:33 PM
    I bought my Pearl/Curve off eBay. The seller (I think is a dealer- not sure though) I got my Curve from is vboyracer25 and all I can say about this person is that they were fabulous. The person I got my Pearl from I wouldnt recommend her if she had the last phone on Earth!

But, back to the Curve. I paid for it on a Friday night and it was here that Monday afternoon. Brand spanking new.

As far as PayPal, I had to file a dispute regarding the Pearl. I paid for it and 2 weeks later, still didnt have it. Once it finally arrived, I escalated my dispute to a claim b/c the Pearl I rec'd, which was supposed to be brand new in the box - WASNT - not even close to being new.

When all was said and done, I got an email from eBay giving me a $200 coupon- which of course had to be used on eBay. I didnt mind though- it paid for the Curve (red) which had just been released. I only had to pay what the $200 didnt cover.
    08-15-08 09:45 PM
    No. If you are in the US, a Sprint 8830 can only be used on Sprint. Period. Fin. End of story. When you go internationally, I believe you have to use Sprint approved roaming partners (they give you an international SIM card for your phone).

In the US, T-Mobile and AT&T are GSM technology carriers. Sprint, Verizon, Alltell, US Cellular and a few others are CDMA carriers. The 8830 has a dual radio to use internationally, since overseas, GSM is the more common technology.

The only 8800 series phones you can use on T-Mobile in the US are the 8800 and 8820, both branded for T-mobile, or unlocked through AT&T or another GSM carrier.
    i know the difference between cdma and gsm i was just wondering if in theory you could use it on tmobile and you cant. you have to use on approved partners. thanks. you cleared it up for me.
    08-15-08 09:50 PM
    all these replies have been super helpful! thanks to everyone for that. so basically the curve for sprint has no simcard slot? so i have to call sprint or activate it online? i plan on buying a "brand new in box" blackberry with a clean ESN so does the releasing of the pin still apply?? thanks again to everyone..
    Right. No SIM card slot on the 8330s. If it is "brand new in box", it shouldn't matter. However, read ScandaLex's post. Sometimes you'll get something that's supposed to be "new in box" but in all actuality, it isn't. I've had this happen to me once with an old Nextel phone. Darn thing didn't even work when I got it!
    08-15-08 09:52 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD