I am looking to get a BB off ebay and am curious what type of things to look out for so I don't buy a unit I can't use or one that isn't in good shape. I am wanting to make the switch from a normal cell phone to a BB now, but don't want to waste my upgrade until the Tour comes out so I was thinking about picking up a cheap curve to get me by. Thanks!
    05-17-09 02:42 PM
    I got this from another forum:

If you want to buy online from a private seller, eBay or Craig's List, keep the following in mind and do this before you make any kind of a bid or an offer:
    Ask the seller:-If new and in a sealed box?
    -For photo evidence.
    -If new, is the device locked to a carrier and if so which one?
    -For the IMEI number. If provided, call the carrier to make sure the device has not been reported stolen. If the seller won't provide, think long and hard.
    -Also ask the carrier if the device has been released?

If the device is used, in addition to the above ask:-What is the guarantee it will work when it arrives?
    -Is there an IT Policy installed? This can make full usage difficult.
    -Has there been any water damage (internal water sensor stickers intact)?
    -Are the pictures in the ad the actual device or a "sample"? Satisfy yourself you know what you are getting.

Is It Really Unlocked:If you are told a used BB is unlocked, ask the seller to take a photograph of the following screen, which should prove what they are saying. Note that you should also do this when the device is received to make sure it is unlocked:
    1) On the BlackBerry device:
    Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card.
    2) In that screen type MEPD on the keyboard.
    3) A new menu will pop up.
    4) Look for Network.
    5) If your device is really unlocked, you should see Disabled or Inactive.
    6) If Active is displayed next to Network, it is still locked to a carrier.

Note that CDMA devices cannot be unlocked. The above applies to GSM devices and hybrids such as the Storm (and possibly the 8830 World Edition), which include SIM slots and work on both CDMA and GSM. AT&T and Verizon devices that are unlocked will not receive a 3G signal outside their networks.
    05-17-09 02:53 PM
    That's great info!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-09 02:58 PM
    Agreed! Great info Savio!
    05-17-09 03:00 PM
    To add my $0.02..

Make sure it isn't from somewhere with a different keyboard layout than you are familiar with like QWERTY (englich), AZERTY (french primarily), or QWERTZ (German primarily) that would make it harder for you to use.
    05-17-09 03:03 PM
    I'm on Ebay right now looking to bid on a new Pearl and in the description it says "This device is locked to T-Mobile service but can easily be unlocked for use on any GSM network worldwide".

My question, is since I have T-Mobile is it as simple as me putting my Sim card in to get this phone to work? Do I have to contact T-mobile to let them know? I have a 8900, but I miss the small size of the Pearl for weekends and going out.

Thank you in advance-
    05-29-09 01:41 PM
    I'm on Ebay right now looking to bid on a new Pearl and in the description it says "This device is locked to T-Mobile service but can easily be unlocked for use on any GSM network worldwide".

My question, is since I have T-Mobile is it as simple as me putting my Sim card in to get this phone to work? Do I have to contact T-mobile to let them know? I have a 8900, but I miss the small size of the Pearl for weekends and going out.

Thank you in advance-
    Yes, put your sim in and you are good to go, as long as the PIN isn't tied up to other email accts. No, you don't need to call T-Mo.

You can also buy a warranty on eBay purchases of BBs through SquareTrade which will give you inexpensive peace of mind.
    Last edited by xliderider; 05-29-09 at 01:48 PM.
    05-29-09 01:45 PM
    Thank you for your quick reply!!!
    05-29-09 01:48 PM

Thank you in advance-
    Just a quick caution - make sure it is the *right* T-Mobile. T-Mo is an international name with independent operations in many countries. For example, if you get a UK T-Mo phone you would still have to unlock to use on T-Mo/USA
    05-29-09 03:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD