View Poll Results: Which phone do you think makes better "professional" impression?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • iPhone (okay, iPhone 4 :-)

6 37.50%
  • Blackberry (let's think of Blackberry Bold 9700 :-)

10 62.50%
    I run small business, and it's in IT. Have to meet different people, usually all techs, some are executives, Web, media/stuff. I see a lot of my clients pay some attention to gadgets/devices. May be it's just a small talk, but it happens pretty regularly. :-) So, I wonder. My business again is small. I work hard to get every client. If it does take me to look better, work sharper, give better service -- I do it. For me it's important to make impression of professional. Please, don't want to flame about -- "everybody should speak basing on kind of service you provide, not looks".. yeah, yeah -- but I am not talking about referral clients, I am tlaking about new acquisitions. They are tough.

So, which phone do you think just adds this extra tiny piece of professional impression. Blackberry or iPhone? My own understanding is that usually iPhone users are creative kind of people. Web designers, musicians, artists.. while Blackberry more on business side. More decision makers, IT executives, etc. are with Blackberry.

Your opinion?
    06-20-10 01:42 AM
    It doesn't matter which device you use, provided it works for you and gets the prospective clients talking face to face. If it takes an old dumbphone to get them to come over and ask why you are still using it ... go with it.
    06-20-10 02:49 AM
    I doubt any of them care about your phone. They care about YOU and how you do business. If you provide exceptional service and product they will probably never, ever even notice your phone.

That said, I have a problem with associating the iPhone with lazy people. It's a long story, and yes this a Blackberry and iPhone household and the lazy person lives here....lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-10 03:55 AM
    A person is professional. A phone is simply a tool. If you need a phone to enhance
    your professional image, you are doing whatever it is you do wrong.

Both are fine devices. It's simply a matter of how the person that owns them uses it.
    06-20-10 04:02 AM
    I had to vote for BB because nobody had yet!
    It doesn't matter what device you use, but how you use it. Just don't be playing brickbreaker, using the fart app or BBm'ing when doing a face to face with a client!
    06-20-10 04:39 AM
    I think both are ingrained in our society enough that it wouldn't make much of a difference. While image does matter (unfortunately), you can't please everyone so go with the device that helps you do your job better.
    06-20-10 08:35 AM
    It doesn't matter which device you use, provided it works for you and gets the prospective clients talking face to face. If it takes an old dumbphone to get them to come over and ask why you are still using it ... go with it.
    I do agree with you. But people are tend to make judgements about other person basing on firs looks. Like some may think iPhone is a new tech / young, others will think it's a toy and un-professional. Some may think Blackberry is business-oriented, others will think that you look old / not-technical savvy enough. I just wanted to hear others opinion! to know at least what's on the average :-)

Thanks!
    06-20-10 09:09 AM
    With all these new devices out, and most of them looking professional, you can pick any.
    06-20-10 10:05 AM
    I've read the post's, and must say I don't disagree with anyone, I must say however through my personal observation's that the type & volume of information that can be extracted from a Blackberry in a matter of second's does give one instant credibility.
    06-20-10 10:18 AM
    People will base their first impression of you on a variety of things besides your tech, including your communication skills and grooming. There is no easy fix, as these snap judgements are also reflective of the person making them.

I still think 'sheep' when I see an iPhone in use, especially in a business environment. It says to me "Here's a person who probably has a hard time making his own decisions; a follower."

However, a satisfied iPhone user who gives no thought to its manufacturer's questionable business practices might think you're a great person do business with; a kindred spirit!

Your most important tool is the ability to project the confidence you have in yourself and in your capabilities.
    06-20-10 10:59 AM
    I own a business and have a storm 2...the reason I have it is for the screen size and the speed of responding to email requests. Looks professional and acts professional. Get a phone for performance first....for me, email speed is crucial and I'm sure its the same for you.

06-20-10 11:06 AM
    I own a business and have a storm 2...the reason I have it is for the screen size and the speed of responding to email requests. Looks professional and acts professional. Get a phone for performance first....for me, email speed is crucial and I'm sure its the same for you.

'nuff said.
    06-20-10 11:18 AM
    I still think 'sheep' when I see an iPhone in use, especially in a business environment. It says to me "Here's a person who probably has a hard time making his own decisions; a follower."
    Why? Why must an iPhone user in the business environment be a follower? Can't I then say, a BB user in the business environment can be a follow due to the majority of other business users using BBs? Wouldn't that be considered a business "trend"?

I really don't understand how someone is a follower for choosing a specific device. Steve Jobs doesn't control everyones brain.
    06-20-10 12:02 PM

Performance is what counts.

If I were in that hiring position, my concern is: Will the urgent message get through in a timely manner, or do I have to wait until my contractor finishes YouTube browsing and checking out the latest apps, then thinks to check his messages?

When performance matters, BlackBerry is the proven winner.
    06-20-10 01:05 PM

If I were in that hiring position, my concern is: Will the urgent message get through in a timely manner, or do I have to wait until my contractor finishes YouTube browsing and checking out the latest apps, then thinks to check his messages?

Thanks for your opinion. Again, the other side of coin -- if something happens and you did receive message -- who knows when you'll be able to fix/update/respond/deliver something. Whenever you reach your laptop/etc. or right on the spot, because your device gives more flexibility in what you can do with it (Dropbox access, SSH, VPN, document from IMAP folder, etc.).
    But again, I do agree, and that was my question -- what makes better FIRST impression.
    06-20-10 01:33 PM
    Thanks for your opinion. Again, the other side of coin -- if something happens and you did receive message -- who knows when you'll be able to fix/update/respond/deliver something. Whenever you reach your laptop/etc. or right on the spot, because your device gives more flexibility in what you can do with it (Dropbox access, SSH, VPN, document from IMAP folder, etc.).
    But again, I do agree, and that was my question -- what makes better FIRST impression.
    If you're that worried about looks then you are not in business for the right reason and destin to fail...all these phones look professional. Get one that helps you be the best you can be.

06-20-10 03:05 PM

You can watch youtube videos and shop for apps on a blackberry.
    06-20-10 03:34 PM
    You can watch youtube videos and shop for apps on a blackberry.
    Yes you can, and your high priority mail will still get through as expected.

The other guys use a variety of strategies, but none can implement push messages like a BlackBerry.

Impressions, eh: Is this person committed to professional grade communications?

BlackBerry: Pass
    Non-BlackBerry: Fail
    06-20-10 03:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD