My BB battery is bulging and looks like it's about to explode. It still powers my cell phone but shuts down frequently and goes to a blank white screen. I have to take the battery out for a few hours then put it back in for it to work - and it displays an "unexpected error > 3" (or something along those lines). It is slower than usual and shuts down a lot.

Does that mean it's time for a new battery?

Thanks!
    05-05-11 10:08 AM
    Bulging? It's dead. Very Dead.

For the price of a new battery it isn't worth risking the damage to the phone and potential injury to the user which could result from the battery actually bursting. I wouldn't even consider trying to use a battery with visible swelling.
    05-05-11 10:17 AM
    Step 1 - deposit that in a hazardous waste recycling center ASAP.

Step 2 - purchase a new battery

Step 3 - have a margarita; it's cinco de mayo!
    05-05-11 10:34 AM
    Oh wow. Didn't know it would be that dangerous. Thanks!
    So I should immediately remove it from my phone until I get a new one?

Thanks again!
    05-05-11 10:35 AM
    Yes, but not before having a margarita.
    a_bb_84 and Ferretling like this.
    05-05-11 10:38 AM
    Oh wow. Didn't know it would be that dangerous. Thanks!
    So I should immediately remove it from my phone until I get a new one?

Thanks again!
    That is the safest bet for you, and your device...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    a_bb_84 likes this.
    05-05-11 10:38 AM
    haha - thanks!

Happy Cinco De Mayo to all!
    05-05-11 10:41 AM
    That happened to me on my 8300. Battery become very unreliable, and within a couple of days of replacement it buldged up and got thrown away.
    05-05-11 06:08 PM
    Yeah swollen batteries are bad news. I know it sucks not having your BB till a replacement is found but it would be worse to have it leak or explode and ruin your BB permanently.
    05-05-11 06:15 PM
    Ever see a lithium battery explode? Check youtube for "white phosphorus explosion". That's about what it's like. Not to be taken lightly.
    05-05-11 10:05 PM
    ya know, bombs (among other things), usually bulge just prior to exploding.

any type of battery that is showing signs of physical deformity, leaking or unusual discharge rates is a VERY good sign something is wrong. im surprised you needed to ask here.

get a new battery asap, properly dispose of the old one. i would HEAVILY recommend you do not use it any longer, especially dont charge it.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 05-06-11 at 01:00 AM.
    05-05-11 10:30 PM
    I would also recommend not giving your battery any of the tequila you're hopefully drinking right now.

As a side note, power cords also can exhibit that bulging right before and as they "die". If you have a plug that seems swollen at the plug housing, don't use it.
    05-06-11 12:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD