Is cascades anything like XAML

Posted via CB10
    Sorry, I should clarify. It's QML mostly...cascades just for the animations and some UI stuff (Cascades is like the stock UI stuff for BB10, I think) . I accidentally worded them backwards.

I've never programmed with XAML but from what I've seen on Google, I wouldn't say they're too similar. But like many coding languages the 'concepts' are pretty much the same. If you have programmed on XAML though it should be pretty easy to switch over. There's a lot of similarities for programming languages that usually have some similar UI components (Buttons, ListView, CheckBox, Containers--I think XAML calls it <Stock Panel>). But basically from Visual Basic, Java, XAML for WP, or Objective C for Apple, transitioning from one to another shouldn't be extremely difficult.
    01-19-14 10:27 PM
    Sorry, I should clarify. It's QML mostly...cascades just for the animations and some UI stuff (Cascades is like the stock UI stuff for BB10, I think) . I accidentally worded them backwards.

I've never programmed with XAML but from what I've seen on Google, I wouldn't say they're too similar. But like many coding languages the 'concepts' are pretty much the same. If you have programmed on XAML though it should be pretty easy to switch over. There's a lot of similarities for programming languages that usually have some similar UI components (Buttons, ListView, CheckBox, Containers--I think XAML calls it <Stock Panel>). But basically from Visual Basic, Java, XAML for WP, or Objective C for Apple, transitioning from one to another shouldn't be extremely difficult.
    Maybe I'll give it a shot, is there a dev software you download?

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 08:20 AM
    You would download Momentics IDE from BlackBerry Developer site and that will give you the QML editor and programming environment. You should also get the Virtual Machine emulator to be able to emulate the hardware on your computer, or link a real BlackBerry device via a cable to your computer and test/debug directly on hardware.

I've developed a bunch of apps on BlackBerry and started off using WebWorks which I believe is very easy to start with, depending on the type of app you want to build. With bbUI.js on GitHub you can make your web-based app have all the stylings of BB10. I started on Playbook and then added BB10 to my target platform once it was released. I had experience with programming a long time ago, but I agree with the OP that anyone with enough determination and willingness to learn can pick up app development relatively easily due to the tremendous developer love and support that BlackBerry provides.

Next I learned Marmalade SDK to develop a game and it was a steep learning-curve, but I did it as part of an incentive to win a free PlayBook. Finally I started using Cascades and learning QML and learning from the examples online and Weekend Coder series here on CrackBerry. With Cascades I finally was able to implement Built-for-BlackBerry status for some of my apps, again for the goal of improving my apps and various promotions. So anyone who wishes to develop and has the time and determination can start off with "hello world" examples and set themselves up to make a apps on their phone, for free (no cost to be a developer) and once you build your first app (the hardest part) then the rest start to flow more easily because you can recycle your code and know all the steps involved (lots of environment setup, debug and signing keys, deployment, testing, etc).

Here's my vendor page in BlackBerry App World. I wish I had more time to do more apps and improve my existing ones....

Edy Braun - BlackBerry World
    stlabrat likes this.
    01-20-14 10:51 PM
    You would download Momentics IDE from BlackBerry Developer site and that will give you the QML editor and programming environment. You should also get the Virtual Machine emulator to be able to emulate the hardware on your computer, or link a real BlackBerry device via a cable to your computer and test/debug directly on hardware.

I've developed a bunch of apps on BlackBerry and started off using WebWorks which I believe is very easy to start with, depending on the type of app you want to build. With bbUI.js on GitHub you can make your web-based app have all the stylings of BB10. I started on Playbook and then added BB10 to my target platform once it was released. I had experience with programming a long time ago, but I agree with the OP that anyone with enough determination and willingness to learn can pick up app development relatively easily due to the tremendous developer love and support that BlackBerry provides.

Next I learned Marmalade SDK to develop a game and it was a steep learning-curve, but I did it as part of an incentive to win a free PlayBook. Finally I started using Cascades and learning QML and learning from the examples online and Weekend Coder series here on CrackBerry. With Cascades I finally was able to implement Built-for-BlackBerry status for some of my apps, again for the goal of improving my apps and various promotions. So anyone who wishes to develop and has the time and determination can start off with "hello world" examples and set themselves up to make a apps on their phone, for free (no cost to be a developer) and once you build your first app (the hardest part) then the rest start to flow more easily because you can recycle your code and know all the steps involved (lots of environment setup, debug and signing keys, deployment, testing, etc).

Here's my vendor page in BlackBerry App World. I wish I had more time to do more apps and improve my existing ones....

Edy Braun - BlackBerry World
    Thanks for the information appreciate it!

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 11:30 PM
    Thanks ! Really appreciate it.

Posted via Melissa, BBZ10
    Keep us posted on your progress

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 11:41 PM
    There's a visual studio plug in that let's you build the blakcberry all in visual studio pretty cool.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 11:09 AM
    Agreed, I had zero programming knowledge before I picked it up and built an app on BB10. The support community is really helpful too, as well as the BlackBerry developers who often help you with issues. The online materials are also quite good.

Useful app you made btw! Congrats.

- Developer of PinGuin
    I too have zero coding knowledge / experience and am looking to start learning / building BB10 apps. Where do you /any of you suggest I start? Thanks kindly for your help

Posted via single-finger-flickin fun on the best damn virtual keyboard in existence....The BlackBerry Z30 Everybody!
    01-21-14 11:47 AM
    Is there offline ressources about blackberry native api's or other stuff related ?

I don't have Internet access 24h/24 and would be glad to have offline stuff to read.

Z10 STL100-1 OS 10.2.1.1925
    I believe you can download a lot of pdf files from the developer site.
    01-21-14 11:51 AM
    I just learned to make native like UIs using webworks 2.0 (html5 /css/javascript). It's very very easy to do. There are load of samples on blackberry's github. I made in 3 days a UI that respects the build for BlackBerry norms.

I used bbui.js for that. It's pretty impressive.

I must admit that I have a small background in programming. But if I had to start from scratch I would say 1 month can be enough to understand the basics of html and css. Plus 1 month for javascript then you should be ready to start implementing more than hello world apps

Z10 STL100-1 OS 10.2.1.1925
    01-23-14 04:44 AM
34 12