I was looking at phones today, with the usual suspects, Motorola, Samsung, Nokia, etc. Am I prejudiced, or are the Blackberry phones better made in general? They just feel more solid and durable to me.

My Storm 2 is a well made phone physically, just has glitches software wise. If I could have a phone as well made as it is, with the latest, greatest software, it would be perfect.
    05-10-11 02:27 AM
    I agree with what you're saying, except for the Storm part..
    I would have loved the phone if it was a real touch screen, because I had one for a loner and I liked everything except for the fact it wasn't a real touch screen.
    05-10-11 05:51 AM
    I would have loved the phone if it was a real touch screen, because I had one for a loner and I liked everything except for the fact it wasn't a real touch screen.
    The sure press is what I, and many storm users like

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-11 07:18 AM
    It was a real touch screen, as in capacitive (the same as any other modern touch screen phone on the market today).
    05-10-11 07:43 AM
    I've owned Motorola, LG, and BlackBerry phones. Granted the BlackBerry is the only smartphone but I have to say my BlackBerry build quality is just as good and the Motorola or LG phones. I would say all three are equal in build quality.
    05-10-11 08:05 AM
    LOL really? the build quality of blackberry had went down to the drain after 8800. i went through 5 9700's because of the 3rd grade build quality, or maybe i was just out of the luck. but the 9780 i had afterwards had the double input issue, which at first i thought was just a software issue, turned out to be hardware. THEN, the torch had the same build quality issues. im really disappointed after i saw the bull**** iphone had better build quality
    05-10-11 09:57 AM
    I love my BBerries, but I haven't seen a phone as solidly made as the iPhone.

Antenna issue aside.
    05-10-11 10:00 AM
    I love my BBerries, but I haven't seen a phone as solidly made as the iPhone.

Antenna issue aside.
    The fact its a brick with no moving parts. Super easy to not screw that up.
    rollingrock1988 likes this.
    05-10-11 10:09 AM
    Got my first Blackberry, 8520, September last year. A very plastic feel about it, creaking and cracking. Swapped it for the 9300 within 2 weeks, more for the 3g. Again a poor build quality phone. I apreciate these are entry level devices. 6 weeks ago I traded in the 9300 for the 9780. Top of the range Blackberry device. The phone itself does everything I want, and more. Have tried touch screen phones and just cant get away with them. Within a week I had to exchange it, tracker pad very loose! Thankfully no keypad issues. Current 9780, the trackerpad is fine, no keypad issues. However the bezel either side of the screen creaks and cracks, can be pressed in, even when holding the phone in the normal way! Given what I have read about the build quality of past Blackberry devices, I am dissappointed at the build quality of my current devices. I believe this should be RIM's No 1 priority.
    05-10-11 12:04 PM
    I've used my blackberries outside for work. 8 hrs in -35C. Dropped it off ladders. Done all sorts if stuff to it. With only a silicone skin case on it. Most durable phone I've ever owned.

Except for a Samsung flip from years ago that was tossed into a lake. I swam in and spent twenty minutes diving down to find it. Found it. Took it home. Didn't expect it to work so I just threw it in a drawer. Two weeks later I take it out to pull out the Sim card and it worked! I used it for six more months and I bet you if I could find it right now that it would still turn on.

But ya, Blackberries. Very sturdy IMO.

05-10-11 02:02 PM
    Of ALL the phones I have owned, Motorolas, LGs, Nokias, Palms, Pantechs-

LGs, Pantechs, Sharps and Motorolas are utter CRAP. They break so easily.

My nokia flip phone, the first one they ever made, was the best. My palm was awesome and my blackberry is awesome. Great quality. Sutrdy and dependable.
    05-10-11 03:55 PM
    hhhhmmm.....I'm looking at build quality as not necessarily the same as sturdiness.

As far as build quality I still believe that the iPhone is as near to flawless as you can get.

As far as sturdiness, I'd say that there was nothing like my old 8703. That thing was a tank. And I have dropped my 9700 and then my 9800 on hard marble floors with not even a scratch. But both the 9700 and the 9800 were plagued with reports of light leaks, creaks, keys falling off, and assorted other problems. So the build quality wasn't so great, according to those reports. Mine were always solid.

Of course if you drop an all glass phone you'll have more damage than one that is plastic. This is the reason I feel that build quality may not always be the same as sturdiness.
    05-10-11 04:03 PM
    Build is better. All of my blackberries take insane amount of damage. Can't say the same for my iphones or my samsung devices. They don't hold up as long.

05-10-11 08:04 PM
    My old 9700 is the most durable phone I've ever owned. Survived multiple drops and I've thrown it a couple times on purpose (on carpet, hardwood, outside on concrete...don't ask ><) as well and only damage that was done was chipping on the housing. This was all without a case as well, phone probably would have been in perfect condition if I had an Otterbox case on it.
    05-10-11 08:16 PM
    The last sturdy and reliable Blackberry was the 8900 &9000.
    howarmat likes this.
    05-10-11 08:49 PM
    The last sturdy and reliable Blackberry was the 8900 &9000.
    I agree, the 8900 is a very good phone. I still have mine, just in case. The only reason I stopped using it was the screen being too small for my failing eyesight. Everything else about that phone, I absolutely loved.
    05-10-11 09:14 PM
    Cheap plastic, the buttons creak, the touchpad is loose, and the screen blotches when I press the end/call buttons. Real quality device there.
    05-10-11 10:51 PM
    The most reliable phone ever I would have to say was 8700. That thing was a titan. I want to pick one up and use it time to time for old times sake!! It was practically bulletproof.

05-10-11 10:55 PM
    Qbnkelt makes a good point.

The iPhone must have one of the best builds out there, but I think the BB os more rugged. My white Bold 9700 has had a crooked top section and creaky bezel since birth, but after the punishment and grueling trips it's been on, it's proving to be very robust. My old 8310 though had great build quality.

The times that I have dropped my phone heavily, bigs have flown off it which disperses the energy of impact. Then I could just click it together again, I recall reading that they are designed to do that, something a monocoque design cannot do, but....

I hope the quality control dept who signed off the PlayBook check off the new phones, because that device IMHO feels just about flawless.
    05-11-11 08:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD