Hello,

Yesterday I upgraded my new BlackBerry Bold 9650 to v5.0.0.699 and now when I try to use my web browser without the wifi turned on, it tells me:

"This is a Wi-Fi service. Please ensure your device has an active Wi-Fi connection and try again."

My phone says that it is connected to the Sprint network at 1XEV with full bars. The internet on the browser worked great before I upgraded, but now it seems to be wifi only.

Can anyone help!?
    05-26-10 05:01 PM
    Your browser is set to hotspot mode, change it in the options.
    05-26-10 05:02 PM
    That must be it. Thank you! I thought hotspot mode had to do with the way the browser displays websites.

Is there any way to get the browser on the 9650 to scroll directly from one link to another like the 8830? I'm not liking having to get the mouse in EXACTLY the right spot.

Setting the browser to "Column View" doesn't seem to do any good.
    05-26-10 05:07 PM
    Just for reference, Hotspot mode = bypass BIS servers. So if you want to access your local network for example while connected to wifi, you need to use hotspot mode.

Non hotspot mode goes through BIS so even if you are connected to wifi it's routing out to the BIS then back.
    05-26-10 05:14 PM
    Just for reference, Hotspot mode = bypass BIS servers. So if you want to access your local network for example while connected to wifi, you need to use hotspot mode.

Non hotspot mode goes through BIS so even if you are connected to wifi it's routing out to the BIS then back.
    So would it be faster to use the hotspot mode when using your wi-fi at home or say tim hortons wi-fi?
    05-26-10 05:41 PM
    Not necessarily. BIS does some optimization before you get the data back. Also anything blackberry specific (like OTA app installs, etc) isn't going to work in hotspot mode.

You only really need hotspot if whatever you are connecting to needs to know where you are connecting from (like your home external IP, etc). Otherwise on internet browser mode your source ip is the BIS server, which is why everything tends to show up as canada for location.

This is also why you get some added privacy browsing through the BIS server.
    05-26-10 05:43 PM
    That must be it. Thank you! I thought hotspot mode had to do with the way the browser displays websites.

Is there any way to get the browser on the 9650 to scroll directly from one link to another like the 8830? I'm not liking having to get the mouse in EXACTLY the right spot.

Setting the browser to "Column View" doesn't seem to do any good.
    FWIW: On my 8330, you have to uncheck the "Enable cursor in column view" under browser General Properties:

Don't have an 9650 yet b/c I'm on Verizon and don't have 5.0 yet.
    05-26-10 06:19 PM

Just curious how do you get a new phone every 3 months? You pay full retail?
    05-26-10 06:26 PM
    Depends. I bought the 8530 off someone new, think I paid $200 in dec. Bought the 9650 new for $368.
    05-26-10 06:34 PM
    FWIW: On my 8330, you have to uncheck the "Enable cursor in column view" under browser General Properties:

I don't see anything about cursors in the browser options for the 9650.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-10 12:59 AM
    Hi, i have the same problem as ultra games, went onto browser options to change the browser from hotspot but when clicking on the dropdown nothing happens, can anyone help me???
    08-09-10 04:09 PM
    Hi, i have the same problem as ultra games, went onto browser options to change the browser from hotspot but when clicking on the dropdown nothing happens, can anyone help me???
    Don't use options from within the browser app, instead, change from home screen: Options, Advanced Options, Browser.
    Jep

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-10 05:34 AM
    Mine doesn't give any options to change from hotspot in the adv options, browser. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    10-04-10 12:18 PM
    Not necessarily. BIS does some optimization before you get the data back. Also anything blackberry specific (like OTA app installs, etc) isn't going to work in hotspot mode.

You only really need hotspot if whatever you are connecting to needs to know where you are connecting from (like your home external IP, etc). Otherwise on internet browser mode your source ip is the BIS server, which is why everything tends to show up as canada for location.

This is also why you get some added privacy browsing through the BIS server.
    Pretty major reason to use hotspot mode, it doesn't count towards your data usage
    10-04-10 08:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD