Now, being a heavy internet surfer as I am (with no access to true PC-Desktop-browsing), I take it for granted that the Browser is pretty slow, especially compared to the likes of Opera Mini (****, even a beta like uZard kicks Browser's *** in terms of speed)

However, as much as I don't want to use it, I'm kinda forced to used it. See, out of 4 browsers I have in my Onyx, only one succeeded in displaying every single web page correctly. Not quickly, not instantly, but correctly, and damn comfortably at that too.

Aside from the fact that it's pretty slow, and can't be closed completely (to free up memory) the Browser is perfect. Well, there's the tabbed browsing issue I suppose, so there are 3 problems. However, those problems are quite minor compared to problems with incomplete web page.

For example, Opera Mini 4 sometimes fail to display an image completely (with the image being an important one), Opera Mini 5 sometimes freeze, BOLT sometimes fail to open a link, refreshing the current page instead. uZard can't use BIS (needs a separate 'internet' data plan, dammit) and the cursor is slow, and fail to render the whole page.

Also, most of them can only zoom in once, either zoom in or not at all, darn.

Only Browser, with its slow speed, single tab, and lots of memory quota managed to cover up all those problems.

When it comes to browsing, I have to admit that overall, Browser offers the best experience :/

That doesn't mean I don't use the others though, for example right now I'm typing with Opera Mini 4. Different browsers fit for different sites, but when I need functionality, I go back to Browser.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-10 02:30 AM
    Your experience is quite different than mine was with the BB browser. There were several sites I could not use due to popup windows being required. That made online banking not work for me, etc. It never liked the java script my bank used for its' site either, as an example so even on the very rare chance the planets aligned just right and you could open the site and log in, yyou couldn't actually do anything.

I am glad, however, that it works for your purposes.
    09-17-10 04:00 AM
    Interesting. OM5 on my S2 is the browser that refreshes when clicking links; Bolt works flawlessly most of the time and has the best text entry but scrolls very choppy; and native's only issue for me is no tabs and having to scroll side to side to view pages. All three load at about the same rate usually.
    09-17-10 04:53 AM
    Yeah, others recommended BOLT to replace Browser because of a few good points (one of them being 'faster'). But, well... BOLT is not good enough, especially with 'dynamic' pages, like one with a countdown timer or tooltips.

But to each their own. I've read posts about how good a browser BOLT is, and while I'm glad it works for them, kinda sad it doesn't work that well for me

09-17-10 05:42 AM
    I really used to hate the browser and relied on Bolt and Opera. With the Torch's browser, I haven't even loaded either of them. LOVING the native BB now!

09-17-10 06:06 AM
    I also use the native browser. I tried the others and there was just something about them I didn't like. I wish they'd release the OS6 browser for older devices but I know that won't happen so I'll settle for the old browser until I upgrade to a new device.

09-17-10 06:16 AM
    Yea.. opera mini's scrolling is broken. You can't even zoom in and out with bolt, not to mention the font.
    09-17-10 11:07 AM
    Yea.. opera mini's scrolling is broken. You can't even zoom in and out with bolt, not to mention the font.
    you can zoom in and out with Bolt... that was the only browser i used on my 8900/9700... it's possible
    09-17-10 11:10 AM
    Tried both Opera and Bolt, didn't care for either. But by then I was pretty biased after learning a bunch of browser shortcuts. Can't beat the stock browsers shortcut abilities. I know if you uncheck Java Support and turn the picture resolution down to low the stock browser will load twice as fast. If a website you visit requires the Java it will usually ask if it can be enabled via popup. So that's it, I'm staying with good ole Blackberry browser until someone can make one that fully integrates what I like about it and can eliminate the pitfalls.

Last edited by albee 1; 09-17-10 at 12:12 PM.
    09-17-10 12:07 PM
    I go back and forth, native is a lot better when you shut off Java-script and will prompt you if you need it on and is laid out the best, but you do have to zoom in a lot to read text and even in column view is small and as soon as you zoom, you have to pan left or right...in opera5, it is big enough and auto renders to fit page, so I enjoy that a lot more for reading...also opera5 is a still the fastest.

Opera5 does freeze at times and have to BP to clear it, which is insane IMO, only downfall...loved the tabbed browsing, it is the fastest and renders well.

Bolt, is decent, but IMO it is the slowest, even over native after Java is shut off...and not huge on how it is laid out. Very stable though, never had a problem with it...and can zoom, don't know what the one guy is talking about.

Native renders pages the best, is decent fast with Java-script off and is the most solid...only downfalls are, have to zoom and pan..a lot! And of course single tabbed browsing, which sucks! Hence why I use Opera5 mostly..again.

I do go back and forth on these...

09-18-10 07:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD