Ok, so ive been told by 2 Rogers tecth reps that in order to use WiFi to browse the internet on a blackberry you have to manually go into Options>Advanced Settings> Browser and set the default to HotSpot Browser and if you leave a WiFi network you must go back in and manually change it back to Internet Browser to be able to use the browser over 3G

is this correct? Ive never had to do this on the other 6 BlackBerries ive owned??
    12-22-09 09:29 PM
    I believe thats the truth
    12-22-09 09:36 PM
    I believe thats the truth
    i have never had to do that ever before, and always when im using the browser in my house connected to wifi the WiFi logo is up
    12-22-09 09:45 PM
    NO, this is NOT correct. There should be 'Internet Browser' and 'Hotspot browser'. On hotspot browser, only WIFI will work. On the Internet Browser, it should utilize wifi when avail and switch seamlessly to 3G when wifi is not available.
    12-22-09 09:48 PM
    When you are using the Internet Browser, data is relayed through BIS servers, regardless of whether you have WIFI or not. That is why it can switch from 3G to WIFI easily - the source is the same: BIS servers. When your are using Hotspot Browser, you are using the WIFI router to connect directly to the internet (and it will not work without a WIFI connection), which bypasses the BIS servers. That's why the Hotspot Browser still works when there is a BIS outage. If you are on AT&T, you can also use the MediaNet Browser during a BIS outage because it bypasses the BIS servers. Hope that helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-09 10:03 PM
    Hi, I am still confused as which is the default used when the Internet Browser is activated. The phone is on 3G and Wifi mode. If the default is 3G, how do I change it to Wifi?
    11-16-10 05:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD