I've been fooling around with this site for about a week on and off. It's similar to twitter, but allows you to "check in" your current location. Sounds scary right now, I know. You have full control over what gets posted and what gets shown to others, as well as the detail of the location of your posts/pics. Your location has to be provided manually, either via txt msg or using their mobile web site. The site will notify you when people/friends check in near you, so you can decide if you'd perhaps like to grab a bite to eat with a pal who happens to be in the area.

Here's an example of a pic post on brightkite There's a public mode (I would totally avoid this) and private mode, and within private mode you have 3 categories of people (everyone, friends, and trusted friends) and what they can see about your location (exact, city, nothing).

Anyway, if anyone is interested in playing around with it. Post here or PM me an email address to send an invite to. I currently have only 5 available so first come first serve. After that, the people invited can help invite more people as they get them.
    06-11-08 01:22 AM
    I've been using Brightkite for a couple days now. I love it. It definitely comes with an easy-to-use SMS and mobile email UI. Now I'm just hoping it catches on enough for someone to create a mobile app for BlackBerry. And yes, I'm now officially bummed that I own the camera-less 8830WE. Takes away half the Brightkite fun! And the rad thing is that it will update your Twitter account, which means it can update your Facebook account or website twitter badge. Good stuff.
    06-11-08 09:43 PM
    I'd be glad to help out! Send me what I need!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-08 09:53 PM
    I've been using Brightkite for a couple days now. I love it. It definitely comes with an easy-to-use SMS and mobile email UI. Now I'm just hoping it catches on enough for someone to create a mobile app for BlackBerry. And yes, I'm now officially bummed that I own the camera-less 8830WE. Takes away half the Brightkite fun! And the rad thing is that it will update your Twitter account, which means it can update your Facebook account or website twitter badge. Good stuff.
    There will be a Blackberry app, question is when. I read it directly from their twitter feed so it's definately on someone's todo list.

Papa, check your pm.
    06-11-08 11:14 PM
    There will be a Blackberry app, question is when. I read it directly from their twitter feed so it's definately on someone's todo list.
    Sah-weet! I'm really digging bkite as it is.
    06-12-08 11:56 AM
    I was too lazy to look it up initially, but here's the actual tweet. Twitter / Brightkite: @RobMcNealy Yes, we are not...
    06-12-08 03:13 PM
    05-19-09 10:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD