True..but at the same time..why, if a user has a general question or wondering, should they have to go to another site, register a name...
    Have you seen this...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/apple-iphone-ipad-f99/
    or this?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android-f169/

There are specific areas on CrackBerry for this type of discussion even without going to one of CrackBerry's sister sites. The only reason to start a thread like this in the main BB area is for evangelism purposes.
    Have to try and educate the ignorant BB users
    10-30-11 02:37 PM
    Report the thread and have it moved then. There are more people asking questions and receiving answers than there are people complaining about the thread.
    moiselles and pantlesspenguin like this.
    10-30-11 02:49 PM
    Report the thread and have it moved then. There are more people asking questions and receiving answers than there are people complaining about the thread.
    I like to do Both,

got some new info out of the thread, and some clarification of things, so all in all I'm pleased,
    avt123 and pantlesspenguin like this.
    10-30-11 03:14 PM
    Have you seen this...
    or this?

There are specific areas on CrackBerry for this type of discussion even without going to one of CrackBerry's sister sites. The only reason to start a thread like this in the main BB area is for evangelism purposes.
    Please go back a page or two. I responded directly to you delving more into the intentions of this thread.
    10-30-11 03:17 PM
    Ok, so here goes. Can someone who has used iOS5 and Android help me out by comparing similar features on those platforms to these ones on BB:

* Notifications - obviously no LED, but how about VM, Email, MMS/SMS etc. notifications compare?
    * Bedside mode
    * Email - how fast are new messages received?
    * Syncing contacts/calendar with MS Outlook
    * Data usage - does BB data compression make a big difference?
    * Has anyone ever got malware/virus on their mobile device? How bad?
    * Battery life, realistically

Never having used Android or iOS, these are some of the questions I have based on rumours, what I've heard from friends etc. Any insight folks?
    I can chime in as well, for iOS5

* Notifications - you can choose to have the camera flash blink as a notifier if you want, but to be honest I don't miss LED notifications. I hated feeling like a slave to that blinking light (both on Android and on BB). I don't really miss them though because I am using the phone so much more than the BB that it's either in my hand or will be shortly. I use it so much more than my BB. As far as the other notifications, you can set separate options for email, voicemail, SMS/MMS, missed calls, calendar, IM, Facebook...the list goes on. You can choose what you want to receive notifications for, if you want them as banner notices or as a pop up window notification, and if you want it to appear in the lock screen as a notification as well.

*Bedside mode - I have an app called Nightstand that makes it emulate a clock radio and you can choose what notifications you get while it's active. You can also set it that the phone alarm is a back up in case for some reason the app doesn't work. I know on my Android I could have it that certain people would always come through. I am not worried though because if it's an emergency my family calls my home phone anyway.

* Email - I get my email instant pushed from my Gmail and my Hotmail. If I had an account that didn't work for push though, you can forward it to your Apple @me.com email iCloud account and it's instapushed. Haven't missed an email yet, and I have access to all my IMAP folders which is sooooo nice. Plus no truncation.

*Don't use outlook so can answer that, but I synced my google calendar to the icloud.com calendar and I can add things from icloud.com, my iPhone, or my iPod Touch and it's pushed to the other devices automatically. Same thing with contacts and emails. You can access your @me.com email box at icloud.com and send emails from there as well.

* Data usage - running everything through RIM does mean you don't need as big a data plan. However it also means that if RIM has a failure (like a couple of weeks ago), you're screwed. I have a 6Gb plan, but even with have use I rarely go over 1-2 gigs. In fact the only time I did was when I was waiting for my Touchpad, my laptop was away at Acer for repair, and I relied on my iPhone for internet use.

*Malware - never had malware but did have an antivirus program on my Android devices because of the known issues with some of the apps and backdoors. I am not worried at all with Apple's control of their infrastructure and I don't jailbreak.

* Battery life - with my Galaxy S, I had no issue making it through the day. I could get 12 - 18 hours with moderate use. Heavy use 9-12 hours. I did carry a spare battery. My HTC Desire Z was BRUTAL on battery - I would need to plug it in about 9 hours in with moderate use. With my iPhone, I get 12 - 18 hours with heavy, heavy use. With moderate, I can get 3 days. When I went to Toronto, I did buy a battery case just in case - with a 4 hour ride to Toronto with constant music/games/surfing the internet, using GPS to walk the city, and filming HD clips of the concert I was at (about 10 clips varying in length from 3- seconds to 5 minutes) I had to turn on the case to start using it's juice at around 8:30 that night ( it came off charger at 8am). I am very, very happy with battery on my iPhone 4.

Hope that helps!
    pantlesspenguin and Chrisy like this.
    10-30-11 09:02 PM
    Have you seen this...
    or this?

You're the only one actively complaining and trying to derail a useful and so far well done thread. How about YOU stop if you dislike it so much? Why hang around the thread? You aren't a mod, so why are you trying to act like one?

The only one trying to start trouble is you, and it's not the first time...
    10-30-11 10:04 PM
    I have been using an app called eWallet to maintain my account/password information for years. I started using it on PalmOS and syncing to Windows. I was able to switch to a BB still syncing to Windows. Unfortunately the Mac version only syncs to the iPhone and iPad. The BB DM on Mac OS does allow a BB to sync nicely with the built in Mac apps but to keep my iPad in sync with my BB, I needed to switch to a cloud based solution. BBs can sync with Google Calendar without too many issues but Google contacts was a disaster.

I like menus too and would have been very tempted by a 9900 if AT&T actually sold one. The new features of iOS 5 and the lack of a decent BB on AT&T forced the switch for me.
    As for Apps, I use them more on my iPad than my iPhone. I like the larger screen.
    Fully agree with you about using iPads for apps such as games etc. The form factor of a small hand held just doesn't appeal to me. Hands keep getting in the way . I look forward to the day where we can control them with our mind .
    10-31-11 10:13 AM
    This is a good thread..... I would like to see someone post screen shots of the email, calender and messages and maybe set up for comparison with the screen shots from android and IOS already in this thread
    10-31-11 01:09 PM
    I can't remember if this has been mentioned, forgive me if someone already brought this up. I recognized a notification feature I had been taking for granted. When you're browsing the web, composing an email, etc you can still see the notification bar. When you get a new notification, the sender's, type of notification, and the first few lines of the message scroll through the notification bar. For me, this let's me know if the new notification is urgent enough to stop the task I'm doing to read the full message or if I can delay it and finish my task at hand. Does BBOS 7 or IOS do this, as well? I know my 9700 running OS5 doesn't.
    10-31-11 05:57 PM
    I just got an iPhone and I like it except that I miss the sound profiles that BlackBerry does so well. I find I really want to be able to have a vibrate/bedside mode /normal profile to switch between during the day.
    10-31-11 06:07 PM
    I can't remember if this has been mentioned, forgive me if someone already brought this up. I recognized a notification feature I had been taking for granted. When you're browsing the web, composing an email, etc you can still see the notification bar. When you get a new notification, the sender's, type of notification, and the first few lines of the message scroll through the notification bar. For me, this let's me know if the new notification is urgent enough to stop the task I'm doing to read the full message or if I can delay it and finish my task at hand. Does BBOS 7 or IOS do this, as well? I know my 9700 running OS5 doesn't.
    What you mentioned is possible on BlackBerry using the 3rd-party app BerryPopup from Bellshare.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-31-11 06:14 PM
    iOS 5 pops up a banner with the first few lines of the notification when it arrives.
    10-31-11 10:06 PM
    iOS 5 pops up a banner with the first few lines of the notification when it arrives.
    does one have to interact with the banner?
    11-01-11 01:04 PM
    Also does the banner interrupt what you are doing? As in I'm typing something and it pops up taking me away from typing.
    11-01-11 01:23 PM
    No, the banner does not interrupt with what you're doing. You can choose to click on the banner and be directly taken to the alert or you can ignore it and it disappears after a few seconds.
    11-01-11 01:29 PM
    What you mentioned is possible on BlackBerry using the 3rd-party app BerryPopup from Bellshare.
    I don't like that app

What I want is an App that gives me the option to keep the top bar you see when in "contacts"

it says "contacts" in the top left, on the top right I see, I have BBM, SMS, Email, Battery, H+ (bars)
    I want to have that Bar Always in all screens, or that bar in all screen but autohide after say 10 seconds, then if something new happens it slides down again but doesn't interrupt the flow of work.

That as far as I know doesn't exist yet
    11-01-11 01:31 PM
    No, the banner does not interrupt with what you're doing. You can choose to click on the banner and be directly taken to the alert or you can ignore it and it disappears after a few seconds.
    so if I'm tying an email and the banner pops up, I don't miss a keystroke typing? it just notifies me but I can continue typing through it?

If so, Well done Apple
    11-01-11 01:32 PM
    That's good. I always have to change my email at work so the popups aren't active otherwise when it pops up to let me know I have mail it takes me out of what I'm doing to either close it or goto email. Don't like that at all.
    11-01-11 01:33 PM
    so if I'm tying an email and the banner pops up, I don't miss a keystroke typing? it just notifies me but I can continue typing through it?

If so, Well done Apple
    Exactly! The notification banner is awesome.

You can also choose which apps receive which type of notification alert. Meaning, you can have your Twitter not have a pop-up or banner alert at all, yet have email show up as a banner alert, meanwhile your text messages can show up as a pop-up alert. So it's not just one type of alert for all applications. You can customize it to your needs. Example, I have Foursquare and my email notification alerts disabled because I find them annoying.

You can also choose which applications show the alerts in the lock screen. For example, I don't have my email show up in my lock screen yet almost all my other apps do.

And for the notification center as a whole, you can customize what shows up there and in which order they appear (either by time the notifications arrive or by the order of apps that you determine).

I hope I made sense and didn't confuse anyone.
    Last edited by moiselles; 11-01-11 at 01:47 PM.
    11-01-11 01:41 PM
    Exactly! The notification banner is awesome.

You can also choose which apps receive which type of notification alert. Meaning, you can have your Twitter not have a pop-up or banner alert at all, yet have email show up as a banner alert, meanwhile your text messages can show up as a pop-up alert. So it's not just one type of alert for all applications. You can customize it to your needs.

You can also choose which applications show the alerts in the lock screen. For example, I don't have my email show up in my lock screen yet almost all my other apps do.

And for the notification center as a whole, you can customize what shows up there and in which order they appear (either by time the notifications arrive or by the order of apps that you determine).
    Well personally I don't want any alerts on my lock screen, that's almost redundant of a lock screen if people can still see my data when locked.

Next question, is their a simple Turn ALL off, Turn ALL on, of the notification? like custom profiles on my BlackBerry? if I'm streaming content from my device to say a Big Screen I don't want the pop ups showing up, but if I'm chilling at the airport I have no issues.

That would be the next stage I'd like to see out of it.
    11-01-11 01:44 PM
    Well personally I don't want any alerts on my lock screen, that's almost redundant of a lock screen if people can still see my data when locked.

Next question, is their a simple Turn ALL off, Turn ALL on, of the notification? like custom profiles on my BlackBerry? if I'm streaming content from my device to say a Big Screen I don't want the pop ups showing up, but if I'm chilling at the airport I have no issues.

That would be the next stage I'd like to see out of it.
    If you lock your phone, alerts on the lock screen are disabled.
    11-01-11 01:56 PM
    If you don't want alerts showing on your lock screen, you can turn all of them off.

I believe you have to go in to each type of app (mail, text, Twitter, etc) to turn off the notifications manually. I don't believe there is a Turn Off ALL Notifications option as far as the pop-up or banner alerts are concerned.
    11-01-11 02:05 PM
    If you lock your phone, alerts on the lock screen are disabled.
    Yes, but you have to disable it in the app settings so it won't display on the lock screen. If you go into Settings > Notifications > Messages > View In Lock Screen On/Off, that is where you have to toggle if you want your notifications displayed in the lock screen. But it has to be toggled for each app individually.
    11-01-11 02:07 PM
    OP, I agree that we would all be better if we just stopped attacking each other. However, I find it hard to understand why people on this website, that no longer have BlackBerry's, such as Accidental Post, repeatedly post ridiculous and annoying attacks on BlackBerry that are largely pure fantasy.

There are forums for iPhone users, and we wish them well. There are forums for android users, and we wish them well. Why don't non-BlackBerry users just stop posting on our website? Obviously you have both so I appreciate your posts but if you don't and just hate BlackBerry that is fine but just let us do our thing.

Unlike you, I have recently parted with my Droid HTC Evo 4G and now have a Bold 9930 and feel liberated by the lack of battery concerns. Even the latest and greatest droids have issues. To say that battery life is not an issue does not ring true because when my friends show me their androids, what always gets me is how many things they have to turn back on to make it really work nicely.

However, I have adopted a personal rule because I don't care for all the negative comments either (I believe you thanked me on a previous post about that). My rule is:

If people on this website don't attack BlackBerry then I don't attack their phone. Frankly, the whole thing is silly. But if people come out swinging I just give them the full truth.

The truth is that there are several very nice devices out there (and I have tried them and regularly try them out - iPhone, Droids, Palm Pre Plus) and the Bold 9930 is the best one for me. You have a device that you like. That is the best one for you.

If you are happy with your phone, then it is the right one for you. Now, lets get back to BlackBerry users helping each other learn some awesome shortcuts and tips that make their phones even more productive.

This website is, after all, called CrackBerry for a reason.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 11-01-11 at 02:26 PM.
    elle-ade likes this.
    11-01-11 02:21 PM
    OP, I agree that we would all be better if we just stopped attacking each other.
    Question for you (non-confrontational). If I posted that all BlackBerry devices have issues with productivity, what do you think of me?

Just curious.
    11-01-11 02:28 PM
147 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD