Sounds like you might have been using google calendar and contacts to keep you BB in sync with outlook. I found trying to sync google contacts with a BB was asking for trouble and syncing the calendar had some issues. I was never happy with trying to synch outlook either.

I have not tried to sync google with Android but found that syncing with iOS via Exchange Active Sync worked well and the syncing with the Calendar and Contacts app in Mac OS X also worked well. Lack of google support was a major reason I switched from BB for my personal device.

That said, I moved my contacts to iCloud because google contacts is fundamentally flawed.
    I was actually trying to migrate out of Outlook into Google Calendar then into ThunderBird so I could rid myself of Paying for Outlook,
    the loss of groups doesn't matter on the BlackBerry because it sucks for calendar groups, and I don't need to worry about groups in BlackBerry emails because if I'm creating group things I am usually doing it from a PC,

( I have over 80 Outlook groups FYI)
    with 6 different industries groups really really help
    10-29-11 07:34 PM
    I actually did register on Android Central and asked a question about Outlook sync. Nobody ever responded.
    10-29-11 07:40 PM
    The problem with those other sites is the people posting on them often have no appreciation of, or experience with, the Blackberry platform.

What do you hate about iTunes?
    iTunes wont let me store NON iTunes purchased books on tape as Books, but only as Audio.
    iTunes used to not allow syncing of office documents (may have changed, been 12-14 months since I've used iTunes)
    a Device requiring iTunes requires iTunes on every Machine, my Device connects to probably 100 different machines in a given year, I'd say less than 20% of them have iTunes installed.
    iTunes management of Music forces Apples sorting structure.
    Also I know this has changed, but iTunes once required that all of my machines I connected to had to have ALL of the data for syncing, I couldn't maintain 4 machines with 4 different library's to a single device.
    10-29-11 07:41 PM
    iTunes wont let me store NON iTunes purchased books on tape as Books, but only as Audio.
    iTunes used to not allow syncing of office documents (may have changed, been 12-14 months since I've used iTunes)
    a Device requiring iTunes requires iTunes on every Machine, my Device connects to probably 100 different machines in a given year, I'd say less than 20% of them have iTunes installed.
    iTunes management of Music forces Apples sorting structure.
    Also I know this has changed, but iTunes once required that all of my machines I connected to had to have ALL of the data for syncing, I couldn't maintain 4 machines with 4 different library's to a single device.
    iOS devices no longer require iTunes but you are probably going to use it to sync your music collection anyway.
    10-29-11 07:50 PM
    iOS devices no longer require iTunes but you are probably going to use it to sync your music collection anyway.
    Is it possible to drag and drop music into folders on iPhone? BTW, I do not have iTunes, and all of my music is from other sources (amazon.com, emusic, ripped from CDs).
    10-29-11 07:53 PM
    my "music" is probably 70% Audiobooks
    how do new iOS devices classify books from LibriVox

Without itunes how is offline syncing done with iOS devices?
    Am I able to drag and drop document files?
    Mass storage mode is that now enabled?
    10-29-11 07:56 PM
    He is most likely talking about iCloud sync. That's done OTA.
    10-29-11 07:59 PM
    He is most likely talking about iCloud sync. That's done OTA.
    So iCloud sync would require I store all files on iCloud correct?
    basically being the same as old iTunes requiring every media file stores on every machine syncing to a device.
    10-29-11 08:01 PM
    google and outlook dont get along. I tried to do that for a couple months because for me BB and outlook do get along most times. I had all contacts and calendar events synced on my BB and outlook. Once i started to try and keep all of that also in sync with android life became a little more difficult. I finally gave in and just transfer everything into google.

Once I got everything sorted and into groups everything worked great using google services. the android/google sync works great with multiple calendars, contact groups etc. I still dont really use gmail as my primary mail. Still have hotmail for that.

The calender app syncs multiple google calandars and my work calendar and can display all at once or individually. There are TONS of calendar addons/widget/apps to choose from in the android market too if stock doesnt qiute do what you need.

I honestly do feel the android calendar does a better and more efficient handling of events over the current BB setup. Especially once you add multiple calenders to the mix.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-29-11 08:02 PM
    google and outlook dont get along. I tried to do that for a couple months because for me BB and outlook do get along most times. I had all contacts and calendar events synced on my BB and outlook. Once i started to try and keep all of that also in sync with android life became a little more difficult. I finally gave in and just transfer everything into google.

Once I got everything sorted and into groups everything worked great using google services. the android/google sync works great with multiple calendars, contact groups etc. I still dont really use gmail as my primary mail. Still have hotmail for that.

The calender app syncs multiple google calandars and my work calendar and can display all at once or individually. There are TONS of calendar addons/widget/apps to choose from in the android market too if stock doesnt qiute do what you need.

I honestly do feel the android calendar does a better and more efficient handling of events over the current BB setup. Especially once you add multiple calenders to the mix.

So basically you are saying to go Android one must give up Outlook,
    And unfortunately Outlook is the best offline calendar/contact management software.

if Windows Phones would make a Quality Bold 9900 form factor device I'd probably be on that pretty quick
    10-29-11 08:05 PM
    i wouldnt say you have to give it up. You will need a third party mediator to go between them for sure though. Finding which one works best for you will be the hard part.
    10-29-11 08:12 PM
    Yep, third party clients work, but I found Gapps work better for me...
    10-29-11 08:14 PM
    in 2010 I couldn't find any good 3rd party apps, and even "Offline gCAL extensions" for firefox didn't really help, and 2011 has been too busy to really care since Outlook has worked well, and I bit the bullet and paid for Office 2010 Professional again, I'm sure when they release the next version of Office, I'll be looking again for an Alternative.
    10-29-11 08:20 PM
    So iCloud sync would require I store all files on iCloud correct?
    basically being the same as old iTunes requiring every media file stores on every machine syncing to a device.
    Yes. Your files will be stored in the cloud and you can purchase X amount of storage space.

You can also use iTunes match which streams your music through the cloud without storing it on your device. If Apple has a higher quality version of the song you are streaming, Apple automatically uses their version (free of charge) and stream the highest quality.

iCloud syncs to multiple devices (uses Apple ID) and you can chose what you sync to the cloud.
    10-29-11 08:46 PM
    Yes. Your files will be stored in the cloud and you can purchase X amount of storage space.

You can also use iTunes match which streams your music through the cloud without storing it on your device. If Apple has a higher quality version of the song you are streaming, Apple automatically uses their version (free of charge) and stream the highest quality.

iCloud syncs to multiple devices (uses Apple ID) and you can chose what you sync to the cloud.

Basically you need to live in a world of Unlimited data transfer to be in the Apple world?
    Outside of Music, does iCloud allow me to Sync Office documents (80GB or so I keep on my Laptop, 200GB or so at home) Movies/TV ( 2.2TB of Video)

the Music Streaming service, what level of compression if any does it use? has anyone tested that yet? a 3MB music file does it count to 3MB of data usage?
    10-29-11 09:00 PM
    my "music" is probably 70% Audiobooks
    how do new iOS devices classify books from LibriVox

Without itunes how is offline syncing done with iOS devices?
    Am I able to drag and drop document files?
    Mass storage mode is that now enabled?
    I don't know anything about audiobooks, I prefer ebooks. As for documents I normally email them to myself which has the benefit of putting another copy on the mail server. Other people might us a cloud based solution directly.
    10-29-11 09:06 PM
    So basically you are saying to go Android one must give up Outlook,
    And unfortunately Outlook is the best offline calendar/contact management software.

if Windows Phones would make a Quality Bold 9900 form factor device I'd probably be on that pretty quick
    You clearly love Microsoft stuff. Myself not so much. I don't find Outlook to be better than the Apple built in calendar software. It's main advantage on the PC is third party syncing support. Everything supports i except perhaps Google.
    10-29-11 09:11 PM
    Basically you need to live in a world of Unlimited data transfer to be in the Apple world?
    Outside of Music, does iCloud allow me to Sync Office documents (80GB or so I keep on my Laptop, 200GB or so at home) Movies/TV ( 2.2TB of Video)

the Music Streaming service, what level of compression if any does it use? has anyone tested that yet? a 3MB music file does it count to 3MB of data usage?
    Unlimited data is suggested if you can get it, or the top data plan. It's basically like streaming Pandora.

You won't be able to sync 80GB or 200GB files. There is no iCloud option for that much storage space. The top you can have right now is 55GB AFAIK.
    10-29-11 09:12 PM
    I don't know anything about audiobooks, I prefer ebooks. As for documents I normally email them to myself which has the benefit of putting another copy on the mail server. Other people might us a cloud based solution directly.
    I do many 12h plus drives, nothing better than a good audiobook on a 12h drive,

I loved listing to The Iliad, The Odyssey, both books that I struggled to find time to read, but being able to listen to them multiple times I truly have appreciated them

I store most of my documents via email except because of data caps, and time, sending a 100MB powerpoint file with the supporting PDF documents for hand outs kills a inbox replication, 6GB monthly data on my 9900, 500MB monthly data on my 9300, $1/MB ANY use when in the USA, so downloading IS not usually an option.

Home internet caps out at 90GB / Month currently I average 85MB without extensive use of Cloud services.

Drag & Drop is something that is pretty much a requirement when traveling extensively and doing presentations.
    10-29-11 09:14 PM
    You clearly love Microsoft stuff. Myself not so much. I don't find Outlook to be better than the Apple built in calendar software. It's main advantage on the PC is third party syncing support. Everything supports i except perhaps Google.
    I do Love the Microsoft Stuff, When I was a Student I did everything I could to RUN from Microsoft, once I got into the business world, I realized how great Microsoft was and regretted greatly coasting through the Excel/Powerpoint classes I did, took me much longer to learn advanced features when I was working.

Outlook Calendar coupled with outlook contact management is what makes it great, emailing is Meh, I like it Better than I liked LotusNotes, but 8 out of 10 emails I will send from my BlackBerry before booting up my laptop, but with Calendars, and contact management, I have so many groups based on who I need to get data too, and in what industries they are related, Outlook has so many easy ways to deal, and the advanced features are fantastic,
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-29-11 09:19 PM
    Not at all. None of these features are required (or even the default), and for most people the free data allotment (5GB of docs) and unlimited music will be plenty. iCloud hasn't replaced traditional syncing for music, nor has it replaced the option of storing files on your device (such as within Pages, Numbers or Keynote). Instead, it's just another option. As in every case, individual usage will be limited by the constraints of an individual wireless plan and/or the availability of wi-fi.

iCloud syncing is not intended to become a location where you store all of your documents; instead, it's intended to keep documents you may be using/editing/viewing on multiple devices synchronized. iCloud is geared around apps which are integrated with it, and not meant to become a single cloud storage location. In other words, iCloud isn't DropBox.

You can also use iTunes match which streams your music through the cloud without storing it on your device.
    Technically iTunes in the cloud does not stream; instead, the files you play are downloaded to your device when you select them, and they play while downloading. As a result, it is NOT streaming in a literal sense; you must have space on your device to store the files you're playing. However, you can also choose to not use iTunes as a cloud service and/or iTunes match, and just continue syncing music the way you have before (or over wi-fi if you're on your home network).

Apple explains: iTunes Match beta "streaming" isn't streaming at all
    avt123 likes this.
    10-29-11 09:41 PM
    iCloud syncing is not intended to become a location where you store all of your documents; instead, it's intended to keep documents you may be using/editing/viewing on multiple devices synchronized. iCloud is geared around apps which are integrated with it, and not meant to become a single cloud storage location. In other words, iCloud isn't DropBox.
    Exactly. I only sync my documents and nothing else. I use gmail so everything is already syncing through that on Exchange. I use iCloud just for OTA backups.

Technically iTunes in the cloud does not stream; instead, the files you play are downloaded to your device when you select them, and they play while downloading. As a result, it is NOT streaming in a literal sense; you must have space on your device to store the files you're playing. However, you can also choose to not use iTunes as a cloud service and/or iTunes match, and just continue syncing music the way you have before (or over wi-fi if you're on your home network).

Ah ok I thought it was on demand streaming of your own library. I'd rather just keep it on my device anyways instead of having to download every file. You get better battery life by keeping it local anyways.
    10-29-11 09:54 PM
    So then, for a person who requires Microsoft Outlook, the only smartphones that play nice without looking for 3rd party apps and hoping they work are BlackBerry or Windows Phone?
    10-29-11 10:02 PM
    Not at all. None of these features are required (or even the default), and for most people the free data allotment (5GB of docs) and unlimited music will be plenty. iCloud hasn't replaced traditional syncing for music, nor has it replaced the option of storing files on your device (such as within Pages, Numbers or Keynote). Instead, it's just another option. As in every case, individual usage will be limited by the constraints of an individual wireless plan and/or the availability of wi-fi.

Well said

BUT in complete context, the discussion of iCloud arose from the statement that iTunes is no longer required for using an iOS device.
    10-29-11 10:07 PM
    So then, for a person who requires Microsoft Outlook, the only smartphones that play nice without looking for 3rd party apps and hoping they work are BlackBerry or Windows Phone?
    No. iTunes will sync Outlook to an iOS device so if you want to USB sync rather than via a cloud, an iPhone will work just as well as a BB. If you want to sync to the Exchange server your instance Outlook is connecting to instead, iOS devices can do that too (so can a Mac). I believe Android devices can as well but I have no experiance with Android.

A Blackberry OTOH cannot connect to an exchange server directly. It can only connect via a BES server at significant additional cost or a BESx server at a lower additional cost.

Also I don't think you can USB sync a modern Windows Phone.
    10-29-11 10:16 PM
147 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD