* Has anyone ever got malware/virus on their mobile device? How bad?
    This is something that gets a lot of airplay... rightfully so.

You won't find many people who have downloaded viruses. I am rooted and switch ROMs and write software reviews; I download a fair amount of programs. I have not met ANYONE who has downloaded a virus.

Of course, being careful is key. I rely HEAVILY on peer feedback (this is unmatched on any other platform, IMHO) and only watch where I download from.
    10-28-11 05:16 PM
    This is something that gets a lot of airplay... rightfully so.

You won't find many people who have downloaded viruses. I am rooted and switch ROMs and write software reviews; I download a fair amount of programs. I have not met ANYONE who has downloaded a virus.

Of course, being careful is key. I rely HEAVILY on peer feedback (this is unmatched on any other platform, IMHO) and only watch where I download from.
    Quoted for truth. I only download from the Android market and I always pay attention to how many downloads an app has, how many stars the app is rated, and reviews of the app.
    Chrisy and Alberta Blue like this.
    10-28-11 05:25 PM
    Thanks for all your insightful responses everyone!

Any iPhoners out there care to chime in?

I'm not really sure why some people get so worked up about different smartphones. Just go with what you like ... no different than cars or friends ... there is something out there for everybody.
    10-28-11 06:54 PM
    Agreed that BlackBerry is the best for data compression! I have unlimited data so I don't worry about what I use. However, who knows when I'll be forced to a tier!

I have to add that I use more data than the average person because 1.) I don't have access to wifi and 2.) I don't own a computer. I do EVERYTHING on my phone that most folks do on a computer!

Also, music, YouTube, navigation.
    I don't know that I could do everything with only a phone but I bet it's much cheaper that way.

If I try something else in the future it'd have to be an android or win8 phone. I'm not an apple fan even though they are great devices, even if I were my carrier doesn't have iphone and I'm not changing.
    10-28-11 07:05 PM
    Thanks for all your insightful responses everyone!

Any iPhoners out there care to chime in?

I'm not really sure why some people get so worked up about different smartphones. Just go with what you like ... no different than cars or friends ... there is something out there for everybody.
    IPhone supports both desktop and cloud sync and desktop sync. Battery life appears to be better than Android based on what I have read (not much worse than BB). Data consumption definitely worse than BB but probably better than Android. Probably less secure than BB but more secure than Android.

If you use a Mac rather than a PC and don't object to a touch screen keyboard it seems the obvious choice to me.
    pantlesspenguin and Chrisy like this.
    10-28-11 07:45 PM
    The iPhone 4 has very good battery life. Better than any Android device I have ever had while keeping it stock. If I rooted, installed a custom ROM and kernel (ultra low voltage to be exact) and controlled the clock speeds with advanced settings, then yea my Droid X would get similar if not better battery life than my iPhone 4. Both easily last through the whole day with moderate to heavy use.

Coverage and WiFi use also play a big factor into battery life. The more you use WiFi, the better.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-28-11 08:19 PM
    I have a question about in-boxes on Android and iOS.
    I have played around with my wife's Android and when one opens the mailbox there are about 25 mails there.
    If you want more it starts to download the messages as you scroll down in the mailbox.
    Someone on crackberry told me that the settings on the Android might not be setup correctly to retain all messages in the inbox.
    I have thousands of e-mails on my 9900 and I dislike waiting for old messages to be downloaded.
    There are a lot of reasons, like not good network connectivity etc, and if I want to pull up an old mail to get some info, I'd don't want to be waiting for it to be pulled from the server.
    Is there a setting on the Androids and iOS for this or is this how the mailbox works?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-11 06:03 AM
    I have played around with my wife's Android and when one opens the mailbox there are about 25 mails there.
    If you want more it starts to download the messages as you scroll down in the mailbox.
    Someone on crackberry told me that the settings on the Android might not be setup correctly to retain all messages in the inbox.
    I have thousands of e-mails on my 9900 and I dislike waiting for old messages to be downloaded.
    There are a lot of reasons, like not good network connectivity etc, and if I want to pull up an old mail to get some info, I'd don't want to be waiting for it to be pulled from the server.
    Is there a setting on the Androids and iOS for this or is this how the mailbox works?

I can say that at least on Android this is how the mailboxes work. When I'm in an area with good signal or WiFi, the loading is seamless and I can easily scroll through messages. But if I wasn't in a good signal area and without WiFi and I needed to scroll through my messages quickly that would be a valid concern.
    10-29-11 06:59 AM

From my experience not all email clients are the same. Many of the have settings about how much mail to keep on the phone and such. You can see the setting here "download past mail"

When i have that selected it will then hold all my mail in the INBOX of that email account for quick and easy viewing. For you other email folders that you keep (bills, house, etc) you can also sync them the same way or download them on demand. You can control how much you want to keep on the device by changing that setting to 3 days, 1 month etc. Your choice
    10-29-11 10:17 AM
    Is it possible to print from BB or iOS devices? That would be HUGE for me from time to time.
    10-29-11 04:54 PM
    There's a better place to get information about Android and iOS rather than start a thread on a BB fan site.
    Here...
    http://www.androidcentral.com/
    and here...
    http://www.tipb.com/

For some reason, the OP and others feel the need to come to CrackBerry and evangelize for iOS or Android. This isn't the place, it just causes arguments. Mobile Nations has done a great job of bringing several OS specific sites together (Thanks Mobile Nations). Take advantage of it and visit some of the other sites if you are interested.
    _StephenBB81 likes this.
    10-29-11 05:11 PM
    Is it possible to print from BB or iOS devices? That would be HUGE for me from time to time.
    Using an e-printer you can pretty much print anything from anywhere.
    10-29-11 05:12 PM
    There's a better place to get information about Android and iOS rather than start a thread on a BB fan site.
    Here...
    and here...

For some reason, the OP and others feel the need to come to CrackBerry and evangelize for iOS or Android. This isn't the place, it just causes arguments. Mobile Nations has done a great job of bringing several OS specific sites together (Thanks Mobile Nations). Take advantage of it and visit some of the other sites if you are interested.
    True..but at the same time..why, if a user has a general question or wondering, should they have to go to another site, register a name, and ask a question and possibly be flamed for it. The OP simply made a thread where people can ask a simple question and get a simple answer..without all the runaround. Of course..Google will also answer a lot of questions as well..but again..sometimes it's nice to ask questions in a familiar setting (ie Crackberry).
    10-29-11 05:19 PM
    The iPhone 4 has very good battery life.....
    The iPhone is STILL struggling with poor battery life...
    Apple reportedly looking into poor iPhone 4S battery life | MobileSyrup.com
    10-29-11 05:22 PM
    Here...
    and here...

This thread is specifically here to stop misinformation, not to evangelize.

We have used BBs, iOS and Android devices. Do you not like accurate information, or do you prefer BB users with question on this site to be misinformed with ignorant answers?

People start threads everyday like "iPhone 4 vs 9930". Would you prefer people to just post false information about everything? Because that's what mostly happens.

What's funny is the people here who are posting legitimate answers aren't giving fanboy responses. This is an informative site, let's keep it that way.

On the other hand like you are telling people they are better off going to one of those sites, you are better off not reading threads like these if you have a problem with the users or the topic.

But I will agree with you. Those websites are better to find more accurate information about said platforms. This thread isn't hurting anyone though.
    10-29-11 05:23 PM
    Fixmo tools allows printing to any printer on the same wi-fi network.
    10-29-11 05:27 PM
    The iPhone 4 had/has great battery life. The iPhone 4S has been reportedly having some issues.
    avt123 likes this.
    10-29-11 05:29 PM
    This isn't effecting everyone. My iPhone 4 gets great battery life with iOS 5. My dads iPhone 4 has now recently been getting terrible battery life and he barely uses it.

The experiences vary for some reason. I have about 10 other friends with the iPhone 4 (that I know in real life), and they are getting great battery life as well.

As long as my iPhone lasts from when I wake up to when I go to sleep, I am happy. I cant say that any of my BBs (besides the 8330) was able to do this. The best battery life I have ever gotten out of a smartphone was the 8830, iPhone 4 and Droid X. My 9000, Droid, 9700, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS were all terrible with my usage.
    Last edited by avt123; 10-29-11 at 05:38 PM.
    10-29-11 05:36 PM
    On the other hand like you are telling people they are better off going to one of those sites, you are better off not reading threads like these if you have a problem with the users or the topic.
    I think you nailed it.
    avt123 likes this.
    10-29-11 05:57 PM
    Ok. I'll start with a question.

I do have a Gmail account, but I use Outlook, not Gmail for my contacts, calendar, and managing all of my email accounts (I have 3 others beside Gmail).

BIS syncs well with all of my email accounts/contacts/calendar in Outlook. I do not use Gmail for contacts or calendar.

Is there a way to easily sync everything in Outlook on an Android, or does everything have to use Gmail or 3rd party apps?

If 3rd party apps are required to sync Outlook on Android, are they free?

FANTASTIC question!

I tried to use Google Services as I pay for them personally to sync my Outlook google to sync with other devices, After countless lost appointments and lost formatting, and messed up groups I came to realize it wasn't going to be a usable task and went back to Google only for email

And to be honest it is needing google that is my biggest worry with an Android as a second device,
    10-29-11 06:08 PM
    True..but at the same time..why, if a user has a general question or wondering, should they have to go to another site, register a name, and ask a question and possibly be flamed for it. The OP simply made a thread where people can ask a simple question and get a simple answer..without all the runaround. Of course..Google will also answer a lot of questions as well..but again..sometimes it's nice to ask questions in a familiar setting (ie Crackberry).
    Half agreed

IF a user has switched platforms, they SHOULD register at the site of that Platform and migrate their general posting to that platform, coming here to help with users who are making with switch or talking about the switch, NOT coming here to evangelize other Platforms, consistently in the Top 5 posters on the forums 2-3 of those posters are NON BlackBerry users,
    I appreciate the knowledge I get about the Other Platforms On crackberry, but even as a user who HATES iTunes and as a result doesn't use any Apple products I've registered and asked questions on TiPb as that is THE place for my questions about iOS problems.
    Alberta Blue likes this.
    10-29-11 06:29 PM
    Here are some screenies:

Here is what ActiveSync setup looks like:

Click to view quoted image

Here is my combined email inbox:

I can also choose which inbox to view if I just wanted to view one at a time. Here is the email inbox switcher:

Here are my calendar views:

Edited to add new event screen:

Below that you get reminders and repetition (couldn't fit all that on the screenshot).

Thank you for those Screen shots, The Calendar Looks very nice, those colours, are they custom colours? how are they set?
    Can Group colours be brought from the Desktop Calendar? that is one of BlackBerry's biggest native app problems for me is the lack of Colours in my calendar without the use of extra email addresses, but with as many addresses as I already have, I don't want more just for colour coding of activities.
    10-29-11 06:46 PM
    Here are some iPhone4S screenshots in case any of you are interested.

The "All Mailboxes" view:

I love that I can actually see/use my email folders. Can't do that on BB.

The "All Inboxes" screen:

SMS/iMessage:

Calendar View:

Reminders:

Completed Reminders:

Notifications View:
    10-29-11 06:52 PM
    FANTASTIC question!

I tried to use Google Services as I pay for them personally to sync my Outlook google to sync with other devices, After countless lost appointments and lost formatting, and messed up groups I came to realize it wasn't going to be a usable task and went back to Google only for email

And to be honest it is needing google that is my biggest worry with an Android as a second device,
    Sounds like you might have been using google calendar and contacts to keep you BB in sync with outlook. I found trying to sync google contacts with a BB was asking for trouble and syncing the calendar had some issues. I was never happy with trying to synch outlook either.

I have not tried to sync google with Android but found that syncing with iOS via Exchange Active Sync worked well and the syncing with the Calendar and Contacts app in Mac OS X also worked well. Lack of google support was a major reason I switched from BB for my personal device.

That said, I moved my contacts to iCloud because google contacts is fundamentally flawed.
    10-29-11 07:05 PM
    Half agreed

IF a user has switched platforms, they SHOULD register at the site of that Platform and migrate their general posting to that platform, coming here to help with users who are making with switch or talking about the switch, NOT coming here to evangelize other Platforms, consistently in the Top 5 posters on the forums 2-3 of those posters are NON BlackBerry users,
    I appreciate the knowledge I get about the Other Platforms On crackberry, but even as a user who HATES iTunes and as a result doesn't use any Apple products I've registered and asked questions on TiPb as that is THE place for my questions about iOS problems.
    The problem with those other sites is the people posting on them often have no appreciation of, or experience with, the Blackberry platform.

What do you hate about iTunes?
    10-29-11 07:10 PM
147 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD