I bought a Blackberry Tour on Craigslist and when I took it to Verizon to be activated, they told me it had been reported, "lost or stolen." I've turned all of the information over to law enforcement hoping (but not counting on) getting my money back and seeing the loser who sold it to me get into some trouble. Now that I'm stuck with a Tour that can't be used, is there a market for selling its parts?
    05-11-10 09:30 AM
    Sorry to hear that. Did you ask the police if you could sell it for parts b/c it is "evidence" in it's way. I'm not saying I know the law that's why I suggest you ask someone before parting it out.
    Hopefully you will be able to get some money back from it. Good luck.
    05-11-10 09:37 AM
    I know here in san antonio there are cricket and pocket stores that will buy phones with bad esn's so they can flash them to their service.

On a side note this happened to me too, bought a palm centro for my wife from cl. When i got to the sprint store the phone had been reported stolen. I called the fraud division of the sapd, they took the report and said they would look into it. Never did hear anything. Sprint however stepped up and offered me a new centro at the new customer price instead of full retail considering i was already out about 15o bucks much more than they had to do.

Any way hope it works out for you>>
    05-11-10 09:45 AM
    Sorry to hear that. Did you ask the police if you could sell it for parts b/c it is "evidence" in it's way. I'm not saying I know the law that's why I suggest you ask someone before parting it out.
    Hopefully you will be able to get some money back from it. Good luck.

Check first, but probably they will let you keep the phone, this is the type crime they really don't investigate too much unfortunately. (unless it's a big case involving many phones) You can then sell the phone as a phone with a bad ESN which some CAN use for parts, OR possibly get unlocked and use on a GSM carrier, BUT it might not be able (or it may) be able to have data activated depending on the status of the PIN. (RIM may or may not have also blocked the PIN as a stolen phone)
    05-11-10 09:55 AM
  5. T
    ... they told me it had been reported, "lost or stolen."
    I wonder why "lost" would blacklist it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-10 10:06 AM
    Considering you bought it in person, why didn't you call Sprint to check the ESN on the spot before handing over your $$$???

I've sold multiple phones on craigslist, though not smartphones, and each buyer has always (and i've suggested to reassure them) checked with Sprint about the ESN either before we met or on the spot when we meet. This is basic rule of buying cell phones on craigslist.
    05-11-10 10:09 AM
    Considering you bought it in person, why didn't you call Sprint to check the ESN on the spot before handing over your $$$???

I've sold multiple phones on craigslist, though not smartphones, and each buyer has always (and i've suggested to reassure them) checked with Sprint about the ESN either before we met or on the spot when we meet. This is basic rule of buying cell phones on craigslist.
    i agree...i sell many blackberrys on craiglist. before i meet with buyer or they come to my office i txt them or email them ESN. they check and when everything is clear...we finish transaction. i sell many blackberrys on ebay too...never have problems. all my phones are good. theres too many scumbags on craiglist which is why i have many potential buyers not trusting me...but its ok...i sell more on ebay
    05-11-10 10:58 AM
    I wonder why "lost" would blacklist it?
    Because typically if it has been reported "lost" an insurance claim was filed. At this point then, the device would belong to the insurance company. Selling it would be insurance fraud.
    05-11-10 11:06 AM
    People typically report phones stolen, then sell them, and use their insurance to get new phones. This is, of course, fraud.

If the person who sold you the phone was the original owner, both you, and likely Asurion, have grounds to press charges against that person. One case of fraud, selling you a blacklisted phone represented as a legitimate and working device, and two, selling a phone then reporting it stolen in order to acquire another at greatly reduced cost.

If the person who sold you the phone wasn't the original owner, it's possible to fudge the ESN of a phone, but that's a whole other bushel of apples I don't have experience in.

With GSM carriers, there's no IMEI blacklist, and stolen GSM BlackBerry phones are seldom blocked by RIM.
    05-11-10 11:21 AM
    To your original question. If the police do not take or request the phone for evidence, then it's yours. If they do take it, check to see how long they can keep it. The bad thing is that you'll be lucky to get even half of your money back by selling it for parts. I've bought and sold from Craigs List. I meet the buyer or seller at a Sprint store and check it there before money changes hand. Something to think about.
    05-11-10 01:22 PM
    I am sorry this happened to you. So many people are taken for granted because they don't know what to do. They think getting a "deal" on Craig's List is a savngs. But only if you ask questions and protect yourself. I had sold a phone on CL and I had the potential buyer meet me at a Verizon store. I am an honest person but there are those people out there who will scam people for a buck.
    The next time you plan to use Craig's List tell the seller you want to meet them at the carrier's store for activation. Also ask for the esn # and anyone who tries to not give you the number has something to hide. You have to beware and know what to do to protect yourself. I hope you can get your money back but it seems doubtful.
    05-11-10 04:02 PM
    Wow, that is my biggest fear when I was looking for a phone is that it was going to be a bad ESN. I am sorry that happened to you!
    05-11-10 07:29 PM
    When I bought my phone on cl I always checked the esn before I even going further. First question. Then call sprint with the number and ask if its clean they are more than happy to check. I had one guy refuse and he started giving me crap about asking for it lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-10 10:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD