Bought it from craigslist. Unfortunately I did not test out the BBM service. I later find out it doesn't work, so I call my service provider (rogers) and it turns out the PIN has been blocked by RIM. Now what? The seller isn't answering my calls, and I have a blackberry that can only call and text. What can I do?

UPDATE: The seller is ignoring my phone calls. I then put my identity to hidden, and then he picks up, then he stays quiet. I say "hello" a few times then he hangs up. He has a bunch of phones on craigslist, he is clearly running an illegal phone trading business. The first time I saw him as he walked in I already knew this was the seller. he was shady. Time to go to police station? i don't think they'll do anything. maybe take matters into my own hands. also, if the PIN is blocked by RIM, what else won't work besides BBM?
    Last edited by oohhhyeah; 06-25-12 at 08:17 PM.
    06-25-12 12:06 AM
    You are ed (period)
    06-25-12 12:15 AM
    Call Rim Support and tell them your story, and give them the name of the seller you bought it from, and also report them to the police authorities... ya never know, you might get a reward, and help solve a crime.

Oh, and don't buy anything more from craigslist.... worst place ever.
    Last edited by jafobabe; 06-25-12 at 12:39 AM.
    oohhhyeah likes this.
    06-25-12 12:34 AM
    Call Rim Support and tell them your story, and give them the name of the seller you bought it from, and also report them to the police authorities... ya never know, you might get a reward, and help solve a crime.

Thanks. You have to pay to call RIM though...

Also, where should I buy things from besides craigslist? Why is it so bad?
    06-25-12 12:40 AM
    I've never heard of having to pay RIM Support on a stolen phone you innocently purchased.

So, ok you dont want to call.... your phone is worthless.. end of my posts to this thread.

Why is craigslist so bad?... Read your own post, that's why.
    06-25-12 12:46 AM
    I had this happen once off eBay. Unbelievably the seller refunded the money. Seems there was a bunch of Storm 2's that a RIM employee had sold to a eBay seller (without RIM officially knowing about it, evidently).

Advised the police. I think the RIM staff person went to jail.
    06-25-12 12:47 AM
    I've never heard of having to pay RIM Support on a stolen phone you innocently purchased.

So, ok you dont want to call.... your phone is worthless.. end of my posts to this thread.

Why is craigslist so bad?... Read your own post, that's why.
    Right here...it says you have to pay RIM for technical support

BlackBerry - Incident Based Support

What alternatives to craigslist would you recommend?
    Last edited by oohhhyeah; 06-25-12 at 01:22 AM.
    valtter likes this.
    06-25-12 01:14 AM
    Right here...it says you have to pay RIM for technical support

BlackBerry - Incident Based Support

What alternatives to craigslist would you recommend?
    I've used Craigslist, but I prefer Kijiji more...check them out.

Sorry to hear about your issue, very unfortunate.
    06-25-12 02:36 AM
    i would file a police report and let them follow up with it. around here, a few phone calls from a detective is usually enough to convince the seller to make good on the sale as opposed to being charged with anything. make printouts of your info and show it to the police when you make your report. thats step 1.

you can try calling RIM, but realistically, only the person who reported the phone as stolen can request to unblock it.
    06-25-12 02:38 AM
    The first BB I ever owned and sold, the buyer actually complained to me that the PIN was blocked. I called my Service Provider to release it and that was the end of the story.

For your case, seller is not responding so it seems a bit suspicious. Send him a text saying that if he doesn't reply in 24 hours, you will have no choice but to report to the police.
    06-25-12 03:56 AM
    Use your employers phone to call RIM if you don't want to pay

Also go and meet the ebay craigslist kijijijiji seller and MAKE SURE everything works next time before handing over the wonga.
    06-25-12 04:22 AM
    The first BB I ever owned and sold, the buyer actually complained to me that the PIN was blocked. I called my Service Provider to release it and that was the end of the story.

For your case, seller is not responding so it seems a bit suspicious. Send him a text saying that if he doesn't reply in 24 hours, you will have no choice but to report to the police.
    theres a difference between a PIN being registered on another account and needing it released and a PIN being blocked because it was reported as lost/stolen. his issues seems like the latter which he cant control.
    06-25-12 07:18 AM
    Aside from Filing the Police report, and trying to get your money back (Credit Card or PayPal method), if you paid $$$ then you are probably pooched, because there is not much you can do.

Learn from the experience, and learn how to protect yourself when buying a used device from an unknown seller. You can also make a report on craigslist advising other potential buyers not to deal with the person. Buying a used device sight unseen and being not able to test it always has the chance to bite you in the @ss.
    06-25-12 07:39 AM
    To protect yourself in the future, DO NOT use cash or personal check to pay for something. Insist on using a service like PayPal.

I bought a PlayBook off eBay which turned out to be thin air. One phone call to PayPal and my money was refunded and the order canceled immediatly.

A lot of people think PayPal is for online purchases only but it can be used to send money directly to an individual that is standing next to you. All you need is his/her email address.
    Moonbase0ne likes this.
    06-25-12 10:40 AM
    Bought my Gold Wing from Craig's List a few years back, and it was a wonderful purchase: Had only 13K miles on it, and I paid $13K for it. We also successfully sold a TV through Craig's List.

Think the lesson available is to tread carefully when dealing with Craig's List, since it doesn't possess the safeguards of systems like eBay.
    Last edited by jegs2; 06-25-12 at 02:12 PM.
    06-25-12 01:50 PM
    A lot of people think PayPal is for online purchases only but it can be used to send money directly to an individual that is standing next to you. All you need is his/her email address.
    Assuming the other party uses PayPal. Not everyone does. I for one can't stand them.

Bought my Gold Wing from Craig's List a few years back, and it was a wonderful purchase: Had only 13K miles on it, and I paid $13K for it. We also successfully sold a TV through Craig's List.

Think the lesson available is to tread carefully when dealing with Craig's List, since it doesn't possess the safeguards of systems like eBay.
    I've bought and sold several items myself. The OP should have tried to activate the phone with the seller standing next to them or at least gotten the ESN and called to make sure it wasn't reported stolen before the seller left. Hate to say it, but OP, you're probably screwed. You have a very expensive paperweight.
    06-25-12 03:18 PM
    I've used Craigslist, but I prefer Kijiji more...check them out.

Sorry to hear about your issue, very unfortunate.
    What is the difference between craigslist and kijiji? seems the same.
    i would file a police report and let them follow up with it. around here, a few phone calls from a detective is usually enough to convince the seller to make good on the sale as opposed to being charged with anything. make printouts of your info and show it to the police when you make your report. thats step 1.

you can try calling RIM, but realistically, only the person who reported the phone as stolen can request to unblock it.
    what "printouts of my info" are u talking about? what's that?

i just sent him a text saying ill call the cops.

Use your employers phone to call RIM if you don't want to pay

Also go and meet the ebay craigslist kijijijiji seller and MAKE SURE everything works next time before handing over the wonga.
    that's not the way it works, u have to pay 50 bucks and then they will troubleshoot for u.
    Assuming the other party uses PayPal. Not everyone does. I for one can't stand them.

I've bought and sold several items myself. The OP should have tried to activate the phone with the seller standing next to them or at least gotten the ESN and called to make sure it wasn't reported stolen before the seller left. Hate to say it, but OP, you're probably screwed. You have a very expensive paperweight.
    i did insert my sim card, but unfortunately i did not test out BBM.

The seller is ignoring my phone calls. I then put my identity to hidden, and then he picks up, then he stays quiet. I say "hello" a few times then he hangs up. He has a bunch of phones on craigslist, he is clearly running an illegal phone trading business. The first time I saw him as he walked in I already knew this was the seller. he was shady. Time to go to police station? also, if the PIN is blocked by RIM, what else won't work besides BBM?
    06-25-12 08:16 PM
    Just go straight to the police
    06-25-12 09:41 PM
    Just go straight to the police
    What should I expect? Do you think they will try to get my money back for me? (i'm assuming not)
    06-25-12 11:22 PM
    as u said he has lot more phones on sale.ask ur friend to contact him to buy a phone ask him to meet up deb grill on him...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    06-25-12 11:41 PM
    as u said he has lot more phones on sale.ask ur friend to contact him to buy a phone ask him to meet up deb grill on him...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    yeah i thought of that. i need a couple friends badass enough to do that what is "deb grill" though?
    06-26-12 12:08 AM
    You can only make phone calls and text, data wont work on your phone. To call RIM, call your provider, ask them to transfer you to RIM. That way you won't have to pay to RIM's service. But I doubt not much RIM can do about it, well hey, just give it a try.
    06-26-12 12:09 AM
    You can only make phone calls and text, data wont work on your phone. To call RIM, call your provider, ask them to transfer you to RIM. That way you won't have to pay to RIM's service. But I doubt not much RIM can do about it, well hey, just give it a try.
    Yeah I tried that. They said they won't/can't transfer me to RIM. They told me to call RIM directly and pay the 50 bucks
    06-26-12 12:24 AM
    In that case, sorry to say, not much you can do. PM me your PIN, I'll see what's going on with your PIN.
    06-26-12 12:51 AM
    Well, I've bought two phones off Craigslist with zero issues - both blackberry curves...
    ...What I did was simply call the cell provider branded on the phone and asked them if the device was good.
    ...All you have to do is explain to the phone company rep what you are doing and they will tell you if it's clear or not.

I bought two blackberry 8530 curves branded Sprint for $50.00 on craigslist...
    ...Girl wanted an iphone for her and her boyfriend and wanted to dump both phones.

I would call the provider the phones are branded with and ask them to conference you in with RIM.....
    ...If the provider is worth their weight in dung they will do this for you and you won't pay a dime for it.
    06-26-12 01:04 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD