Hi, so this week Koodo mobile just received their first blackberrys 8530. After long talking with the local guy, the customer support and the technical support, they let me buy a 8530 without data plan. First let me explain you that I'm not a big cell phone user, and I choose the blackberry just because it was the same price or almost the same as other cell phone I would have bought, plus I liked the fact that I could surf on the internet with the wifi connection...Well here is the problem, I'm not able to get the browser to go on the internet. I always get the error message: Unable to connect to the internet, please try again later. I'm able to connect to my wifi network, and I see a grey ''wifi'' logo on top right of the phone, however the browser doesnt work. I'm looking for a ''how to'' similar to this:
    How to browse internet on Blackberry phone using Wi-Fi without data plan with AT & T | eHow.com
    however for the 8530.

Thank you CB community!
    JF
    06-01-10 08:06 PM
    In many cases you cannot use WiFi unless you have an active data plan. This might be the case for you--you need BIS to be active before you can use WiFi.
    06-01-10 08:11 PM
    Did you try changing the setting?
    Browser>menu>option>browser confirguration. Change it to hotspot browser.
    And
    Browser>menu>option>general option. Change it to hotspot.

Or go to option>mobile network>turn data on.
    Last time when I wasn't on data, if I turn it off, I couldn't use wifi.

But I really suggest that u get data plan though. Last time I used to thought wi-fi is enough for me. Yes it is. But I'm missing out the app world and BBM fun and email.
    Good luck

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-10 08:23 PM
    data plan is needed
    06-01-10 08:37 PM
    Did you try changing the setting?
    Browser>menu>option>browser confirguration. Change it to hotspot browser.
    And
    Browser>menu>option>general option. Change it to hotspot.

Or go to option>mobile network>turn data on.
    Last time when I wasn't on data, if I turn it off, I couldn't use wifi.

But I really suggest that u get data plan though. Last time I used to thought wi-fi is enough for me. Yes it is. But I'm missing out the app world and BBM fun and email.
    Good luck

Wow! I just did this step: Or go to option>mobile network>turn data on.
    And now it works! I cant beleive...I though this option was when you were actually paying for data plan...
    06-01-10 08:54 PM
    I would like to be sure I will not be charged for using any 3G networks other than my home network service...Even if it is not included in my plan but I would like to make sure before I receive my monthly bill...
    Is there a way to permently turn OFF any non-wifi connection?
    06-01-10 08:58 PM
    I really think it is working; since when I turn off my wifi and I try to connect to internet with Hostspot browser, I'm getting the message: ''This is a Wifi service, Please ensure your device has an active Wi-Fi connection and try again''
    I will wait for more input before trying to download alot of ''web content''.

My fear is to receive my bill and see data charge...I could contest since I don't have data plan..I dont know.
    06-01-10 09:07 PM
    Instead of waiting for the bill, call your carrier or see if the local guy can check your current account usage. It would be better to know sooner rather than later and then you can surf without worry.
    06-01-10 09:46 PM
    Instead of waiting for the bill, call your carrier or see if the local guy can check your current account usage. It would be better to know sooner rather than later and then you can surf without worry.
    What a good idea. I will do it in a minute...
    Thanks
    JF
    06-01-10 09:51 PM
    What a good idea. I will do it in a minute...
    Thanks
    JF
    Koodo are really a cheap provider=Customer service close at 9pm.
    I will try tomorrow morning..
    06-01-10 09:56 PM
    You can just call them to cancel the internet service. First 3 month I had my phone I got 20 plus bucks data charge! I quickly cancelled the internet services.

06-01-10 10:18 PM
    You can just call them to cancel the internet service. First 3 month I had my phone I got 20 plus bucks data charge! I quickly cancelled the internet services.

Actually the service plan I chose do not include any Blackberry network acces(not internet,not social facebook etc)
    06-01-10 10:28 PM
    So I gave them a call and the guy told me I have to wait 48hrs before he can see if I used data in the system...
    06-02-10 05:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD