Go look in the News and Rumors section it's full of news articles predicting the end of Blackberry. What would you do if you were the CEO of RIM right now? I know it doesn't mean anything but it's fun to role-play a bit.

Here's what I would do...

I think BB OS6 is perfectly fine for now, it's the hardware RIM needs to work on and fast. Think about it, the cpu in every BB device is at least 3yrs old now, but the BB OS runs pretty decent on that old hardware, yeah the browser is slower comparatively even with the new webkit but I tend to think a lot has to do with BIS/BES proxy that the data has to go through. I would make sure every Blackberry was issued an IP from the closest BIS server available and I would increase BIS server locations.

What doesn't run good on Blackberry is rich-content apps that you see on iPhone and Android BB hardware just doesn't cut it making the app developer forget about BB all together or make a lighter version for Blackberry that costs twice as much.

I would end RIM's current it's 3yr plan and do a 6 month or 1yr plan at least on the high-end price point. I would use the Torch form factor but make it a bit bigger, since it gives the best of both worlds. I would bring the screen up to match current devices on the market and hire a chip maker to design a fast but efficient processor that will give the competition a run for their money while still maintaining great battery life. Make a cdma World Phone version and a GSM version and refresh the device each year with a faster hardware as semiconductor manufacturing process improves bringing faster processors with lower power requirements. In addition release an OS upgrade each year bring more functionality, speed, and eye candy while striving for an 8hr talk time for battery life The price point would be $299.00 with 2yr contract plus a -$100 discount bring final price to $199.00.

Now as for the other devices I would trickle down the technology from the above Torch line. The Bold series would remain the traditional BB form factor and receive the previous years "Torch Line" processor but under-clocked a tad, same amount of memory, it will be able to run the current OS build but by default it will have the eye candy turned off. As for the screen I think the current screen resolution is pretty much as high as this form factor should get, perhaps one more bump but that's because any higher you'd need eagle eye vision and 20pt fonts to read your email, but I would focus on improving clarity, sharpness, vibrancy of the screen too. Further down the line I would introduce a touch screen to the Bold form factor. This phone would be for the Executive and Blackberry purist the ultimate communications tool / Business device with ultra long batter life exceeding 12hrs talk time. Obviously there would be a GSM and CDMA version. Price point with discounts would start at $149.00 for 2yr contract.

Finally, the Curve line again trickled down from the above Bold but with Curve keyboard and it would never get a touch screen and will have screen technology that the above bold had 2 generations previous and it will always have half the memory of the Bold / Torch line. It will have a smaller battery, 6-7hr talk time. This will be the low-end Blackberry, starting price point $50 with 2yr contract but many will give it away free with 2yr.

What do you guys think of my plan?
    08-21-10 09:09 PM
    I don't think your plan is thought out in enough detail

I posted this thread a bit back ArmChair CEO and I feel I lacked enough detail into what I would do as well.

but I do agree with RIM needing to address hardware issues. RIM can't legally force pricing on the Carriers, that is called "Price fixing" which isn't permitted, they can only give guidelines.
    08-21-10 10:10 PM
    That is your plan as CEO of RIM? The whole plan? In its entirety? As CEO? Of RIM?

You could have written all of that with the following sentence: "I would make better phones."

It gets right to the point.
    08-22-10 12:02 AM
    I don't think your plan is thought out in enough detail

I posted this thread a bit back ArmChair CEO and I feel I lacked enough detail into what I would do as well.

but I do agree with RIM needing to address hardware issues. RIM can't legally force pricing on the Carriers, that is called "Price fixing" which isn't permitted, they can only give guidelines.
    Well I'm not going to write a 150-page thesis covering every detail of the plan. My post was merely a playful exercise broadly covering how I would restructure Blackberry devices into 3 categories, High-end consumer (but businesses can use it too obviously) , traditional Blackberry business device (Bold), and low-end Blackberry (Curve).
    08-22-10 02:01 AM
    If I were CEO of RIM, I would release phones with upgradeable ROM (SD card as ROM lol), CPU and RAM, including universal screens (one screen works in all units).

Now, what would apple and HTC do then?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-10 03:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD