One can never be too sure about the veracity of reports that come from the Chinese press, but I can't seen any reason to specifically doubt this one, which says that an exploding mobile phone has killed a man in Guangzhou, China, after a fragment severed an artery in the man's neck.

According to reports, a computer shop employee had likely finished charging a replacement battery and, after putting the battery in the handset and dropping it into his shirt pocket, the whole affair exploded. A bang was heard and another shop employee found him lying in a pool of blood on the floor.

This is the ninth publicized cell phone explosion in China since 2002 and the second fatal incident, following a similar case that occurred in 2007.
    02-04-09 03:24 PM
    That's odd. Do you know what type of phone it was?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-09 03:29 PM

I read on Engadget (i believe) that it was a Sony Ericsson, if I remember correctly. I'll have to dig for the link.
    02-04-09 03:35 PM
    I'll never buy one of those. Lol.

02-04-09 03:36 PM
    02-04-09 03:40 PM
    i thought engadget says the make/model wasnt known...
    02-04-09 03:43 PM
    I'm Scared!!!!! Hope it wasn't a BlackBerry!
    02-04-09 03:51 PM
    i thought engadget says the make/model wasnt known...
    Yeah, I freely admit I could be mistaken on that, but I can swear I read something about a SE phone's battery recently exploding and that it wasn't the first case of it happening.
    02-04-09 03:53 PM
    I doubt it
    02-04-09 03:54 PM
    I doubt it
    Thank You! u made me feel better about my Storm! lol
    02-04-09 03:58 PM
    I'll never buy one of those.
    Thank You! u made me feel better about my Storm! lol
    Amazing. There is a family grieving at this loss and here we have people
    "feeling better" that it wasn't a BlackBerry. Wow!

And for the record it was the battery NOT the phone.
    02-04-09 04:12 PM

D I T T O............
    02-04-09 04:14 PM

it was a 3rd party battery, and yes, it is sad someone lost their life due to poor quality standards
    02-04-09 04:15 PM
    I'm Sad! Really. RIP dude
    02-04-09 04:20 PM
    Yeah, I freely admit I could be mistaken on that, but I can swear I read something about a SE phone's battery recently exploding and that it wasn't the first case of it happening.
    Yeah, I think an incident like this did happen I think some time in either '07 or '08.
    02-04-09 04:22 PM

Seems like an uncalled for cheap shot to me. This is Crackberry, not funeral parlor dot com.

Earlier today CNN.com had a headline saying a doctor was critically injured when his Lexus hybrid exploded.

Now a bomb is believed to have detonated in the Lexus. Big difference and I am sure the Lexus public relations people (and Lexus hybrid owners) are happy CNN has changed the headline.
    02-04-09 04:45 PM
    Seems like an uncalled for cheap shot to me. This is Crackberry, not funeral parlor dot com.

Earlier today CNN.com had a headline saying a doctor was critically injured when his Lexus hybrid exploded.

Now a bomb is believed to have detonated in the Lexus. Big difference and I am sure the Lexus public relations people (and Lexus hybrid owners) are happy CNN has changed the headline.
    hahaahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A Lexus hybird exploded?????? If this was true, RIP rich dude, but if this false... CNN will just say anything to make NEWS ( North East West South ). But I do feel bad for the guy with the cell phone thing! It is good to ask what type of phone it was so that the CrackBerry community can be aware of this kind of stuff.
    02-04-09 04:55 PM
    Seems like an uncalled for cheap shot to me.
    Not a cheap shot at all and how you could possibly interpret it that way is
    beyond my desire to figure out or discuss further. My point remains unchanged,
    but if you feel an apology on my part is warranted, consider this it.

And don't be talking about exploding Lexus hybrids. I may not go into my
    garage again.
    02-04-09 05:00 PM

garage again.

don't worry ag, i'll take your lexus. you can drive my daewoo!
    hehehe
    02-04-09 05:04 PM
    I have an Audi R8! I like my Storm too!
    02-04-09 05:04 PM

garage again.
    LOL well you just made my point better than I ever could. No concern expressed for the doc, his family, his patients? Just your own safety? Wow!
    02-04-09 05:06 PM
    LOL well you just made my point better than I ever could. No concern expressed for the doc, his family, his patients? Just your own safety? Wow!
    I love Diplomacy!
    02-04-09 05:08 PM
    OK, the olive branch approach didn't work. And apparently neither did humor.
    02-04-09 05:18 PM
    OK, the olive branch approach didn't work. And apparently neither did humor.
    His name is Dr. Trent Pierce. The local police chief stated, ""We just don't know why someone would do this. ... We're going to find out." He added that Pierce is his personal physician and is well known and loved in the community, "a gentle and kind person."
    02-04-09 05:41 PM
    I heard the good Doctor was on his Blackbderry when the explosion happened. But he was also using a battery from China in his blackberry, AND the neighbors' dog was also obliterated in the blast - Now, there's speculation that there is a scare sweeping the nation - exploding pets. What about the poor dog, won't someone PLEASE grieve for the poor defenseless little dog.

Come on peolple - enough for the PC crap. Yes, yes, yes, we're all torn up that tragedy occurs and it sucks when ANYONE dies or is injured. Relax, no one is attacking anyone - and I'm sure that EVERY one is deeply and emotionally invested in the tragic and unfortunate events that happen everywhere in the world and cast ugly stares in the direction of anyone who even thought for one brief moment, "phew.. glad it wasn't me" Well. I for one was glad it wasn't me. I'm glad neither my phone or my car blew up today and I'm equally relieved that if there is some sort of rash of exploding sony phones and Lexuses that I use a Blackberry and drive a Toyota.

So, I guess I'm a cold heartless bas.****. please people lighten up.
    02-04-09 05:58 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD