So is there a app or has anyone been able to hack their Bold 9650 and make it a WIFI Hot Spot? I would love to be able to make my Bold send a signal out so my iPad can get reception every where I go!!!
    06-22-10 04:21 PM
    I could be wrong, but I don't believe this device has the ability to do this. You can tether the BB to your computer, but I don't think you can make it a hotspot.
    06-22-10 04:24 PM
    Me too!!! That would be cool. I hear that the HTC Incredible (and perhaps a few other Android phones) will be able to do this when their 2.2 Froyo software upgrade is released, but I don't think there is currently anything that will allow a BB to become a wifi hotspot.
    06-22-10 04:25 PM
    I know of a few devices, palm, android can do this but I thought maybe Blackberry might be able to, but once again we are last to get any new technology. One day maybe, one day...yea right
    06-22-10 04:38 PM
    Considering tethering isn't even allowed on Sprint for most phones, I wouldn't hold your breath.
    06-22-10 04:45 PM
    no, but it can be done via bluetooth and a jailbroken ipad
    06-22-10 04:48 PM
    so jailbreak the ipad and hook it up via bluetooth to the bold...is there a certain program that i would need on the ipad or just use the stock bluetooth already in the ipad?
    06-22-10 05:01 PM
    06-22-10 05:04 PM
    For Verizon users, in lieu of jailbreaking the iPad, another route is to get a mifi, and use the wifi function of the iPad.

This is the route that I will most likely go...
    06-22-10 05:22 PM
    No.

06-22-10 05:24 PM
    get a mifi and pay extra $$$ for the service OR use your blackberry and surf for FREE? hhmmmmm...free sounds better to me!
    06-22-10 07:17 PM
    No.

Agree, Wifi hotspot will not happen with BlackBerrys (don't you love it when some says something "will never happen!" ??)

The reason is that it open's up too much of RIM's network. BlackBerrys are different in how they get their data, it's a combination of the wireless carrier and RIM's data network.

RIM's BlackBerry network is very secure for many reasons but one is that they permit only BlackBerrys devices on their data network, USB tethering is something they gave into to due to demand from business users before the days of Mifi and USB plugin wireless cards for their laptops.
    06-22-10 07:19 PM
    agree, wifi hotspot will not happen with blackberrys (don't you love it when some says something "will never happen!" ??)

the reason is that it open's up too much of rim's network. Blackberrys are different in how they get their data, it's a combination of the wireless carrier and rim's data network.

Rim's blackberry network is very secure for many reasons but one is that they permit only blackberrys devices on their data network, usb tethering is something they gave into to due to demand from business users before the days of mifi and usb plugin wireless cards for their laptops.
    this ^^^^^
    06-22-10 07:38 PM
    get a mifi and pay extra $$$ for the service OR use your blackberry and surf for FREE? hhmmmmm...free sounds better to me!

It maybe extra money (which I don't mind spending), but at least I get to sync up 5-additional wifi devices (an iPad for my wife, an iTouch for my son, a laptop computer for me as well 2 other wifi devices). IMO, it's money well spent...
    06-23-10 12:53 AM
    it is really quite simple with a laptop and a tethered blackberry to make a wifi hotspot... it has nothing to do with the BB, just learn how to use the wireless on your laptop.

It makes no sense to deliberately and constantly violate the terms of service of your contract though... if you need more than occasional/emergency connections get an overdrive.
    06-23-10 05:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD