05-31-10 10:47 PM
63 123
tools
    Oh i forgot to mention that when i plug my phone into my PC, the wifi after a little bit turns grey sometimes ... weird even on OS .162 as it does on .266 at times ... i don't know why.

I been reading more on the RIM RELAY issue and if anyone else can post info about that please do so and i will as well if i come up with anything.

Just to note it has been a white WIFI all day long for me today .... again i on .266, but yesterday it went to grey onec or twice.

It only does this grey out for me once in a blue moon even like 3 days it may happen or what have you.
    Last edited by xamdam; 05-19-09 at 09:20 PM.
    05-19-09 09:17 PM
    Here is more info about RIM RELAY:

Many government departments rely on Research in Motion’s (RIM) BlackBerry Handheld devices and a BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) service for wireless communication. However, as with any service, opening ports to the Internet may create security risks. When a BES service starts, it creates an authenticated TCP session with the RIM Relay over port 3101.

All traffic between the BES and a handheld flows over this link and is encrypted during transit. However, since this traffic is encrypted, it is impossible to inspect the packets that flow back and forth between the BES and the handhelds. Therefore, there is a potential security risk in any network that runs a BES since incoming packets cannot be inspected. If the BES can be compromised, then potentially the entire network can be compromised. At first glance, an easy solution to this is to place the BES in a network Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) and filter traffic to the internal network. Unfortunately, the setup for this is not as simple as it might seem.

The BES must also connect to Microsoft Exchange servers which use a Messaging Application Programming Interface (MAPI) connection to send and receive email messages. When the Microsoft Exchange service starts, the MAPI ports are chosen at random. When a client such as the BES initiates a connection, the MAPI ports are communicated through the EndPointMapper which is static on port 135. Having random ports makes it very difficult to put a firewall in-stream of a MAPI connection as it is impossible to know ahead of time which port will be chosen.

This is a quick reference section for all the ports that are required for full communication with the domain and with the RIM Relays.

This is further described in Section 3. 2.3.1

Outbound Ports These ports must be opened for outgoing connections.
    The Static MAPI port will be unique for each setup.
    Table 1: Outbound Ports Port Number Protocol Type Name/Purpose 53 TCP/UDP DNS 80 TCP HTTP 88 TCP/UDP Kerberos 123 UDP NTP 135 TCP EndPointMapper 389 TCP/UDP LDAP 445 TCP SMB 1026 TCP Active Directory Logon variable TCP Static MAPI 3101 TCP RIM Relay 2.3.2 Inbound Ports Most modern firewalls have stateful inspection. They keep track of outgoing connections and allow traffic that is returning through the firewall. If this is not the case for the firewall being used to create the subnet, then the ports listed in Table 1 above must also be opened for inbound connections.

Here is PDF where i found this info.

http://www.cse-cst.gc.ca/documents/p...itsg23-eng.pdf
    Last edited by xamdam; 05-19-09 at 09:26 PM.
    05-19-09 09:21 PM
    If I have a white WiFi logo and a BIS plan, will I be able to use all blackberry apps over WiFi? Like email, facebook app, google apps, etc? The reason I'm asking is that I'm not on an unlimited BIS plan. Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-09 10:17 PM
    If I have a white WiFi logo and a BIS plan, will I be able to use all blackberry apps over WiFi? Like email, facebook app, google apps, etc? The reason I'm asking is that I'm not on an unlimited BIS plan. Thanks!

I am on rogers $45.00 plan 500mb data and I wifi mostly all day and it does not affect the data plan itself. Rogers has no way
    of checking wifi usage as it is your internet.

And yes I can run whatever facebook and email and all that stuff is wifi. Or maube email is data exchange
    But 500mb is lots for me.

Remember wifi is your home, edge for rogers and 3G too and 2G.

05-19-09 11:26 PM
    I am on rogers $45.00 plan 500mb data

Whoaaaa man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at 45 bucks And They limit you on it??? I have Unlimited with AT&T and If I'm not mistaken, They charge me about 30 bucks.

As to this thread I'm in the same Boat as every one else in here, I just gaved up on trying any more. I never had this problem with my Iphone. O well, When ever I'm not to lazy and have plenty of time to burn to this problem I shall figure it out (hopefully) LOL.
    05-24-09 06:41 PM
    I started getting the grey WIFI icon after upgrading to .266. I found a post in another forum that fixed the RIM relay problem. Didn't have to call Rogers or anything. Granted I just fixed the problem so I don't know if my wifi connection will drop out etc.

Go to options > Advanced > Host routing table> Menu button and select Register now. This updates the info on the RIM relay.
    06-10-09 11:56 PM
    My WiFi is stable, connectivity wise. I'm running on 5.0.0.238.

Issue that I'm facing is that when i disconnect + switch off the WiFi, the WiFi icon becomes grey. Isn't it suppose to disappear and removed from home screen all together?

A battery pull resolved the annoying issue though.
    10-11-09 11:51 PM
    grey or white it doesnt really affect me? i mean it just means wifi is on or not thats it.
    10-11-09 11:56 PM
    My WiFi is stable, connectivity wise. I'm running on 5.0.0.238.

Issue that I'm facing is that when i disconnect + switch off the WiFi, the WiFi icon becomes grey. Isn't it suppose to disappear and removed from home screen all together?

A battery pull resolved the annoying issue though.
    yep it should dissapear when the wifi radio is turned off, thats some random os5.0 glitch xd

Just some facts i came up with some time ago after some tests.
    Symbol becomes white when the blackberry data connection has successfully tunneled itself through wifi and identified with the BIS servers, where any app that requires a BIS connection will work, unless it is strictly built to run over the carrier network such as google maps, since most of the time it uses cell phone towers to get the location. Its gray when it is connected to a wifi network but hasn't tunneled to the BIS servers, due to reasons such as not having data plan or not having the simcard in; its also gray when the wifi radio is on but not connected to any network. Successful tunneling depends mostly on how good the router/modem is, the wifi signal strength and quality (routers with high signal strength but high timeout or poor port forwarding might decrease performance). The BIS connection over wifi its kinda like a VPN or proxy connection.
    Using BIS over wifi wont add usage to your data plan. You dont have to strictly use the hotspot browser, the internet browser will work perfectly, however, you will be capped by the BIS server speeds while with the hotspot you are capped by your wireless, internet speed or hardware processing speeds, whichever is less.
    Last edited by gbsn; 10-12-09 at 01:28 AM.
    10-12-09 12:54 AM
    I have three bolds in hand. Problem only one will connect to my router. All find router and settings but two I can not use browser, error says not valid sim card, but the one that works does not have sim card either. Any suggestions?
    10-15-09 01:26 PM
    very strange, i see all these things with long reasons, humm some say router some say its the phones OS, and rim relay wired all that, my experience is that its actually the a series of things can be all at once. What happend to be i notice from my wifi connection is that the bold uses wifi g better than n my routher is a g and n it connects when i select on and off a few times and im guessing its on g, simply when i had my all g router it works just fine. someone pointed out when they changed version on the OS it works, could be that your radio is auto setting the settings by default than the newer one, but the OS's uses raido frequency much differentlly but since i have changed mine i bin getting the same thing. It works sometimes and when it dont i play with the on and off and it does. And I can turn everything off on the phone like my ppc and just surf the net on wifi, i can send bbm, get and send push emails, now that viigo got wifi that works as well, all this with only my wifi on everything else is off, if i change the sim to a dead sim it still works. i dont know im assuming it could be the OS's working together with the wifi.
    12-21-09 02:27 AM
    Pardon my stupidity, what's the difference between wifi and hotspot?

A WiFi hotspot is any location where you can pick up a WiFi signal. That's why it's hot (active/signal present).
    04-14-10 10:26 PM
    Even if it works, this suggestion to forward port 443 is not practical for households with more than one BB. I don't think this is the solution to the grey wifi problem.
    TELUS is blocking the port 443 (ssl) for residential connections "... to help with a safe, enjoyable Internet Service".
    See:
    "TELUS has introduced a number of security measures to the ADSL network to help provide you with a safe, enjoyable Internet experience. These measures will help reduce the risk of virus infection to your PC, reduce spam in your e-mail, and increase network integrity.

NOTE: These security measures do not apply to static IP subscribers.

These security measures include:

The blocking of the following ports to inbound traffic. This helps to secure your PC from virus and hacker activity, as well as spam.
    TCP 21 (ftp)
    TCP 25 (smtp)
    TCP 80 (www)
    TCP 110 (pop3)
    TCP 6667 (ircd)
    TCP/UDP 135-139 (dcom and netbios)
    TCP/UDP 443 (ssl)
    TCP/UDP 445 (ms-ds)
    TCP/UDP 1433-1434 (ms-sql)

Limiting of ICMP traffic to prevent DoS (Denial of Service) attacks and other unnecessary network traffic. This reduces general network traffic and prevents service degradation and possible outages.

Blocking outbound traffic on port 25 (smtp), except to the outgoing TELUS e-mail server. This is to reduce the amount of spam created on our network which prevents service degradation and possible outages as well as to reduce the amount of spam you receive in your e-mail.
    These security measures are designed to reduce illicit traffic, as outlined in the TELUS User Agreement..."

[I could not put a link to this (forum restrictions) but you can google and find it]

It means, I guess, the BB owners who has High Speed Internet from TELUS and who wants to get BIS service over the home WI-FI connected to the TELUS network would never have bright-white Wi-Fi icon on the BB Home screen (and no green checkmark on the Manage Connection screen).

The ports are blocked only for incoming packets
    Last edited by Aksakal; 06-25-10 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Correction:
    05-31-10 10:47 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD