^^
    do you have BIS/BES data plan activated on the SIM card in your BB?
    03-16-09 07:11 PM
    Ya i do. It just actually worked i just had to register it which i never had done.

Thanks for your help!
    03-16-09 07:28 PM
    congrats ! now u can enjoy a complete BIS on wifi
    03-16-09 07:36 PM
    Is it possible for someone without BIS active on their sim to use all the applications except the BB Messenger and Mail APP? Because its pretty stupid if you cant as what use is WiFi then?
    03-16-09 09:08 PM
    I believe the OP is mistaken.

On my Rogers Bold the only time I can browse on WiFi is if the symbol is white.

If it's gray and I open my browser I'll see 3G in the top right corner. If WiFi is white then I get that same WiFi symbol in the corner of my browser.

I'm with everyone else who says White = On and connected. Gray = On but no Wireless available.
    Try this... Disable your moble network, open your browser. It will fail to connect. Go to bookmarks > wifi services >wifi login. The grey wifi logo with appear and you will have internet access.
    04-03-09 07:33 AM
    Try this... Disable your moble network, open your browser. It will fail to connect. Go to bookmarks > wifi services >wifi login. The grey wifi logo with appear and you will have internet access.

"This is a wifi service. Please ensure your device has an active wifi connection and try again."
    04-03-09 08:28 AM
    I think we are all close, but here's my experience.

I travel quite a bit. At home i have terrible Cell reception (usually 1 bar at most), but i have a strong WIFI connection. At home, my phone can join the WIFI network with no issues, and i can browse and BeeJive etc. My WIFI icon is ALWAYS grey. (yes I have a data plan) BUT, browsing is terrible. I need stable cell reception to browse reliably, even though most of the data thruput is done via WIFI. I am unable to maintain or even establish a music stream, browsing can take several refreshes to get the full page etc. it doesn;t seem to matter if I am on HOTSPOT BROWSER or INTERNET BROWSER.

When I travel, and park my **** in a hotel, there is GREAT cell reception, and the WIFI icon turns WHITE as soon as it joins the WIFI network. Browsing is very smooth and fast.

So in short,

GREY = joined to a WIFI network but throughput is unstable for whatever reason.

WHITE = Both Cell and WIFI are functioning to allow full WIFI throuput.

NOTE: to decribe the WHITE vs GREY icon to those that were asking, the symbol itself does not change, the WI is always white-ish and the FI is always black, just the color of the WI goes from BRIGHT white to a sort of DULL white (grey)
    04-10-09 12:01 PM
    After researching, I found many with this issue, and finally found a solution!

This issue I had was as follows;

1) a grey WiFi symbol on the right (home screen), in the top center i'd have ROGERS - wirelessnetworkname.

2) in MANAGE CONNECTIONS - i'd have
    (check) Mobile Network ROGERS (green check)
    (check) Wi-Fi wirelessnetworkname (Red X or white -)

3) in MANAGE CONNECTIONS - WiFi Options - WiFi Tools - Wi-Fi Diagnostics;
    -WiFi is all green checks, Network Aquired, happy fun joy here.
    -VPN = Not needed for my purposes as far as I can guess.
    -BLACKBERRY INFRASTRUCTURE - all red X on CONNECTING: and AUTHENTICATING. This is why the WiFi symbol is grey.

CAUSE: You are connected to your Router, but your router is not passing port 443 to your blackberry.

SOLUTION: if you have access, assign a port forwarding of 443 UDP to your blackberry's MAC or it's current IP. For more permanent resolution, give your BB a fixed IP so you won;t have to do this again if your BB is on DHCP and gets a different IP next time. If you DON'T have access to the router, ask the network admin to do the above, or, give up.

EFFECTS: You SHOULD be able to browse, and do most basic data transfers, but you may not get anything that requires secure transmissions, e-mails, FTP etc. in short, try it, but it may not be worth the trouble.
    04-25-09 12:37 AM
    Even if it works, this suggestion to forward port 443 is not practical for households with more than one BB. I don't think this is the solution to the grey wifi problem.
    04-27-09 08:14 PM
    My wifi is too trippy so I never use it.
    04-27-09 09:45 PM
    I've turned off my mobile connection to test the wifi which worked however should I not have a tick next to wifi in the manage connections menu?
    05-02-09 11:21 AM
    Grey = WiFi on but not connected.

White = WiFi on and connected.
    Thats how it is for me also
    05-02-09 01:10 PM
    My internet works perfectly when grey...
    05-02-09 04:51 PM
    the handset will be able to accomplish all blackberry functions (BB Messenger, Push Email, Browsing, MSN Messenger via wifi network without any SIM connection)

hold up, am i reading this right? can anyone comfirm this?

(o_0)?
    05-02-09 05:41 PM
    Posting this here in case it helps anyone. I have been having the grey wifi icon problem for a few days and managed to get the issue resolved today. Of course this may not work for everyone as the grey wifi can mean a multitude of things but here is what has happened with me.

1. Grey wifi icon, cannot connect to internet over wifi and handset defaults to a 3g connection everytime.

2. Whilst grey the name of my wireless network was still showing up next to my mobile providor.

3. If I disabled the mobile network I was able to connect to the internet over wifi and use every and all functions, even though the wifi icon remoained grey throughout.

4. My providor (Orange UK) discovered that the issue was a fault with the RIM relay and there own service. After resolving some update issue with this server and updating my sim with new service books the issue was resolved.

Hopefully this will relate to some of your own problems and you will be able to get this fixed. Your own front end CS people are likely to not know what to do so try to get through to the tech savvy peeps of whicheve department there is with your service, with orange UK they have a blackberry team who helped me with my issue.

Daniel
    05-02-09 08:05 PM
    Hi,

I had a problem where my WIFI was working fine (White Wifi Logo) then one day the WIFI logo was grey even though when you went to manage connections it said it was connected to my router. The green tick on the right hand side when in manage connections was now a white "-"

I then went to Manage Connections/WiFi Options/Menu/WiFi Tools/WiFi Diagnostics - this brought up a list of items and all looked fine until I saw a red "x" next to Blackberry Infrastructure Connecting:

The only way to sort this problem is to call ORANGE support on 150 and get the Customer Support to change your "RIM RELAY" You may have to bypass the first couple of people you speak to as they just want to try and replace your handset which will not solve your problem! Insist of getting them to change your "RIM RELAY" and your problem will be solved and you will be back surfing on a white WIFI logo and not using up any data bundle. Plus it is quicker.

Hope this helps if you have had this problem.

Boris
    05-05-09 04:29 PM
    Hi,

I had a problem where my WIFI was working fine (White Wifi Logo) then one day the WIFI logo was grey even though when you went to manage connections it said it was connected to my router. The green tick on the right hand side when in manage connections was now a white "-"

I then went to Manage Connections/WiFi Options/Menu/WiFi Tools/WiFi Diagnostics - this brought up a list of items and all looked fine until I saw a red "x" next to Blackberry Infrastructure Connecting:

The only way to sort this problem is to call ORANGE support on 150 and get the Customer Support to change your "RIM RELAY" You may have to bypass the first couple of people you speak to as they just want to try and replace your handset which will not solve your problem! Insist of getting them to change your "RIM RELAY" and your problem will be solved and you will be back surfing on a white WIFI logo and not using up any data bundle. Plus it is quicker.

Boris
    thank you so much, this has been bugging me since last week when it started to do this. will be giving orange a call in the mornign to get it fixed!
    05-06-09 05:28 PM
    i thought gray meant no internet connection and white means wifi fully enabled...
    05-06-09 06:14 PM
    rang orange today, thanks to druidwitch & boriswade my wifi is back to normal and connecting properly!
    05-07-09 08:57 AM
    Hi,

Boris

This worked for me too though I had to read out your post to them to get them to try and change the "RIM Relay"

Thanks
    05-13-09 05:04 AM
    I've been having the same problem with WiFi. I've benn using it great for the past couple weeks, since I've owned the phone. Then, all of a sudden (after updating to .266) it stopped using Wifi even though it showed it was connected and I now have the Red X in Diagnostics also. However, I just went to McD's and caught Wifi for all of 3 seconds and then gone. Just got disconnected from ATT for the second time while they were attempting a conference call with someone from Tech Support. I told the CS Rep about the "Rim Relay" and he ignored me and went on troubleshooting.

I guess I'll try again later.
    05-13-09 11:35 AM
    I am in about the same boat as you guys...
    My WiFi switches from white to grey whit no aparent reason.

Indeed with a grey one I can browse but a lot of other applications won't work.
    I have an big plan so I am not worried about the data usage but I can only access youtube or radios (iheartradio) through WiFi and not through 3G (yeah, Rogers.... ).

I did some investigations turning wireles on and off, WiFi on and off, one by one. I cannot understand why all of a sudden the white symbol turns grey.
    I first blamed my router (2Wires from Bell) but I had the same issues even while staying at 2 feet from it...and after reseting the router and redoing the setup over and over

Most of the time I have the grey WiFi, but with the WiFi network name next to the Rogers one and a white line in the connection manager.

But here is the interesting part:
    I went Connection manager - WiFi options - hit Menu - got to Wi-Fi tools - WiFi diagnostics - hit Menu again - select options - Advanced.
    In the last section "Blackberry Infrastructure" it shows not connected while the symbol is grey and the address used is rcp.na.blackberry.com:443 and "Connecting: Error"
    If it happens to be white I can see a IP address (other then my local 192.168....) and everything works fine.

I wonder where my issue lies with Rogers or with RIM?

Any advice?
    05-15-09 10:24 PM
    I went back to OS .247 and my Wifi is now working again (white logo and connected).

Therefore, I can confirm that OS .266 was the problem!

Cheers,

Jay
    05-19-09 07:34 PM
    I have always connected my blackberry to my network but I didn't know I could browse with it.
    05-19-09 07:35 PM
    I never set mine to hotspot when it asked me too and it usually stays white, but yes at times the bugger goes to grey and i can't surf over my wifi.

So when this occurs i go back into scan for wifi networks and poof it finds me even though when it is grey wifi i am sort of connected as my router name is there but in grey.

Anyhoo after scanning it finds me and connects again and turns white wifi. At times i had to unplug my router and modem, then do the scan for wifi networks again.

What i think maybe after reading this thread is the reason it may turn Grey is if you don't use your wifi for some period of time. It may disconnect you sort of spek within the phone from the wifi connection.

Now if you set it up as a hotspot, remember that info goes to rim or whoever and your place will be listed as a HOTspot Location.... no thank you for that....

So all i can say is if it is grey, unplug your router or try scan for wifi networks again first.

I was running OS .162 original from rogers and it did this as well and now i am running .266 vodafones and it doing it as well, but its not a BIG issue for me as it only does it like once in awhile on either OS, as for .247 OS i never tried it and i won't as i am happy now and waiting for 5.0 OS to be released.
    Last edited by xamdam; 05-19-09 at 08:02 PM.
    05-19-09 07:55 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD