I just tried the new Torch at my Sprint store and was very impressed with this sleek device! I am having second thoughts though considering the work I do. I work outdoors on the roof and need a sturdy sound device. Right now I have the Tour in a Seidio case on a rotating holster and has been an awesome phone for me the last 2 years.

The easy choice here would be the Bold of course, but I was wondering if there are certain cases (ie Otterbox) that will come out for the new Torch. I wonder if this would even be enough protection for a large "plastic" screen.
    08-23-11 04:42 PM
    Well yes the Bold 9900 with it's large easy to type for large fingers, keyboard would be the obvious choice, but if you like the Torch 9810, there are rugged cases for those as well.

AGF GRT Shell, Endo for BlackBerry Torch 9800, 9810 - Black/White w/holster - CrackBerry Canada

I personally love my 9810, but I am just using an old Bold holster to carry it around in, it works for me, but I'm not in a hazardous a job as you are daily.

CS
    08-23-11 05:18 PM
    Actually I would have to go with the 9850 as Sprint does not carry the 9810. If they did I would jump all over it!

My thinking is that a screen that big would be to easy to damage in my work conditions unless it was protected the proper way. I still have 40 days left till my upgrade, so maybe someone will come out with a case for the 9850.
    08-23-11 05:24 PM
    08-23-11 05:26 PM
    I'm a sparky, and I love my torch. When my hands are dirty I use the virtual keyboard. When they're clean, I use the real keyboard :-)

That being said...I will have a 9860 in my hands within a few days :-D

Mark
    @allaboutmybb
    www.allaboutmybb.com
    08-23-11 05:31 PM
    Gotta use a belt clip otherwise it will get destroyed in my pocket even with an otterbox.
    08-23-11 05:48 PM
    Defenders always worked well for me. I have to use the belt with them also. So commuter is out for me.
    08-23-11 05:50 PM
    Defenders always worked well for me. I have to use the belt with them also. So commuter is out for me.

Had a Defender with my Pearl a few years ago and loved it. Slap a screen protector and you are all set.

Hopefully Otterbox will release a Defender case with holster in the near future.
    08-23-11 05:53 PM
    I guess I can live without an Otterbox since I use the Seidio protective case with holster for my Tour. It's just that big screen that scares me especially since it is made of plastic and not glass.

I'm curious if putting a screen protector on one of these newer touch BB's would affect anything.
    08-23-11 06:03 PM
    I would choose the 9930 over the 9850... you'll be able to use the physical keyboard when your hands are dirty. Not good if you have to use the touchscreen on the 9850 for everything if your hands won't be clean.
    08-23-11 07:17 PM
    TBH, as a construction worker I'd consider one of the older BBs that have cases with a solid screen protection available.
    On the other hand your old BB survived two years in a holster, any of those two you named would work.
    Personally, I'd wait for the 93XX Curves and see if a Defender Otterbox (guess they'll come with the typical Defender holster as well) is released, if not, you can still get one of the now released BBs and save a few bucks.
    The 85xx series otterbox works for the 93xx series
    08-23-11 07:24 PM
    Blackberry bold all the way!, it's just easier to use and all the same efficient.
    08-23-11 08:43 PM
    I'm in construction too and I'm surprised that a phone survives on a holster for you. I think the plastic screen would take bashes better than glass anyday. I just use a screen protector on my 9650, and no case at all! Yeah, it looks like ****, but it keep working.
    08-23-11 10:05 PM
    Umm, I guess I didn't directly answer your original post. Sounds like you're wanting the full touch screen over the physical keyboard, I'd go for it. Maybe buy a cheap case for now until the case you want comes out.
    I tried out the 9930 yesterday and was impressed, RIM did a great job updating the Bold for today's market, but I'm all about the physical keyboard.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-11 05:15 AM
    I just tried the new Torch at my Sprint store and was very impressed with this sleek device! I am having second thoughts though considering the work I do. I work outdoors on the roof and need a sturdy sound device. Right now I have the Tour in a Seidio case on a rotating holster and has been an awesome phone for me the last 2 years.

The easy choice here would be the Bold of course, but I was wondering if there are certain cases (ie Otterbox) that will come out for the new Torch. I wonder if this would even be enough protection for a large "plastic" screen.
    I'm a 20 year carpenter that became a project manager 5 years ago, and I occasionally still spend some time onsite. I've got a Torch and love it, but wouldn't get it if I were a tradesman. If it were me, I'd start with the best case available. You can't get a solid case for the 9810 due to the form factor. Otterbox is second to none in protection, but the OB for a slider won't hold up. Trust me, I've gone through 4 of them (as a PM, not a tradesman) and gave up on a case.

Since you're looking at Sprint, I'm guessing you're looking at a full touch Torch. That may hold up fine, and is probably the best bet to keep dirt and dust out of the device. Screen protector is a must: Ghost Armor Cell Phone Skins and Cases, Laptop Wraps & Screen Protectors | Ghost Armor. If your hands get anywhere near as filthy as mine used to, you may not be happy with a touch screen.

I'd go for a Bold with an OB and a Ghost Armor screen protector. You know you gotta have the best case available, 'cause your phone will get jostled, jolted, scratched, dirty, etc., and its gonna hit the floor. Repeatedly. (hopefully for you that doesn't mean the ground ).

edit: BTW, the Torch screen is glass, not plastic. But it will scratch, though.
    Last edited by Altarocks; 08-24-11 at 06:38 AM.
    08-24-11 05:38 AM
    I'm torn between the 9810 and 99xx too. My phone history is 9530 > 9800 > HTC Inspire > 9530 (backup phone)

I know that the 9810 is what I'll probably be happiest with but I find myself inexplicably drawn to the 99xx. I've only read about the fantastic keyboards on the Bold series of phones and have never been privy to trying one. That and not being able to flip into landscape for reading things. I find I read a lot of different things, books, here, sankakucomplex etc. and having them displaying in that way makes reading the content easier on *my* eyes.

I love(d) my 9530 and I thought the 9800 was a great improvement. I never used the keyboard on it as I found it awkward to type on. Being as I was very familiar with landscape screen typing I found the responsiveness upgrade awesome. I enjoyed the optical trackpad as well - that is one feature I felt would have made the Storm 1 & 2 terrific devices. I did miss my surepress screen though. It was/is quite convenient to select something (9530) by placing my finger on the screen and pressing to actually select. I am horrible at using an iTouch but it's still fun ^_^

The 9850/60 is not an option for me as I learned from my HTC that I do not like that size of phone.

I am traveling to the USA soon and I love that I will be able to walk into a store and there will be demo units to play with.
    08-25-11 09:52 PM
    Do you guys use gloves? If you do I would probaly stay away from a full touchscreen device because you would always have to take your glove off to type a message and using the 9850's trackpad one handed at a construction site would make me nervous of fear of droping it and then having something crush it. Even an otterbod defender would lose aganst a extremly heavy object. With the bold/curve you can still use the trackpad while holding the device firmly and use the keyboard with your gloves on. I would personally go for that option. Of cource if you don't where gloves then there isn't that problem.

I find a plastic screen is less likely to crack but easier to scratch but a good screen protector, therefore a plastic screen is better in the conditions you work in.
    08-25-11 10:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD