Hi all. Just got my first BB today, the Bold on AT&T in the Northern NJ/NYC area. Just had a question, does anyone else see or experience that reception is worse on the phone than other phones (i.e the Nokia I replaced). In my 2 years with the Nokia I only had 3 calls drop. I am already at 2 today with the Bold and I notice the reception bars constantly going up and down. Any insight or advice would be appreciated
    12-27-08 12:25 AM
    I live and work in Northern NJ and in lower Manhattan respectively. The reception on my Bold varies significantly, even when standing in the same place. 3G is very localized and unless you can see a repeater within a few blocks of your location, you will likely just get EDGE. Unfortunately, AT&T is NOT #1 in providing more consistant 3G coverage throughout the NYC metro area.
    Last edited by asher_zelig; 12-27-08 at 08:44 AM.
    12-27-08 08:28 AM
    ive seen that blackberrys usually have better signal than other phones well at least in canada
    12-27-08 08:44 AM
    One problem or anomaly which is native to 3G signal technology, is that it is not seemless when transitioning from one repeater to another.
    12-27-08 08:46 AM
    I live and work in Northern NJ and in lower Manhattan respectively. The reception on my Bold varies significantly, even when standing in the same place. 3G is very localized and unless you can see a repeater within a few blocks of your location, you will likely just get EDGE. Unfortunately, AT&T is NOT #1 in providing more consistant 3G coverage throughout the NYC metro area.
    Thanks, as someone who lives in North Jersey and works in NYC also, not the answer I was looking for. It is going to be immensely annoying if my calls keep dropping everyday.
    12-27-08 08:55 AM
    You will also experience occasional failed calls, including when checking voicemail (by just holding the 1 key down). Perhaps in the next few years if AT&Tcontinues to invest in their technical infrasturcture, this may one day come to pass.
    12-27-08 09:05 AM
    Is there anyway to have it just be on the edge network where theoretically the drops would be less frequent? Right now I really do not care about the speed for mail, internet, etc.
    12-27-08 09:29 AM
    Call drops and failed calls are usually (but not completely) network related and have more to do with call routing by the carrier. Since I've upgraded to OS .216 they have been a bit less frequent, but in my view still at totally unacceptable levels.
    12-27-08 09:54 AM
    funny i have none of the same problems with my Bold
    if you had done some research before you got the phone you would know that with the Rogers Bold you can choose 2g or 3G its not an option with the ATT Bold...so i have a Rogers Bold Unlocked
    i have never had a problem with transitioning from 3G to 2G or vice versa
    who knows
    12-27-08 10:04 AM
    funny i have none of the same problems with my Bold
    if you had done some research before you got the phone you would know that with the Rogers Bold you can choose 2g or 3G its not an option with the ATT Bold...so i have a Rogers Bold Unlocked
    i have never had a problem with transitioning from 3G to 2G or vice versa
    who knows
    I never heard of Rogers. Is that a Canadian carrier?
    12-27-08 10:29 AM
    I'm in the uk on vodafone and the bold is great for call quality and reception, with almost full bars of 3g everywhere, and has never dropped a call yet.
    Must be a carrier thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-08 10:35 AM
    yes it is ......RIM is a canadian company..Rogers got the Bold before ATT.. ATT and rogers Broadcast on the same frequencies so their phones are interchangeable if they are unlocked
    Rogers Normally gets blackberries before ATT here isn the US....a lot of people (myself included) had the bold about a month before it was released here in the US : )
    12-27-08 10:39 AM
    I've had several in-depth conversations with 2nd tier AT&T support staff that have said that it is indeed mainly a carrier issue, owing primarily to the network conditions, stability and call volume.
    12-27-08 10:40 AM
    I'm in the uk on vodafone and the bold is great for call quality and reception, with almost full bars of 3g everywhere, and has never dropped a call yet.
    Must be a carrier thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    its not a carrier thing because i have no complaints about reception with the Bold on ATT..its a location thing IMHO
    12-27-08 10:41 AM
    All

This is not just a NJ or NY problem, but a system wide problem with the Bold and ATT. You can upgrade the OS, but still you will get dropped or failed calls. I had to stop by the local Corp. ATT in San Ramon, Ca and was amazed at the number of Bold returns the day after Xmas.

The ATT fourms for the Bold had many post on this issue, and then they all vanished. ATT and RIM are pointing fingers at each other on this issue. There was a thread on Mfg. dates & seq.# that had fewer problems than others, but that vanished too.

Because of this issue, I will stay with my Curve and OS 4.5.
    12-27-08 10:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD