I was wondering why so many people prefer the "bold" keyboard layout over the "Curve?" The Bold's keyboard is very tight/keys side by side practically touching each other and it's very easy to hit wrong keys.

The Curve on the other hand is more spaced out and seems easier to type on without so many errors as I get on the Bold.

Why do people constantly pimp out the Bold's keyboard?
    06-10-11 10:25 AM
    The best BlackBerry keyboard I ever used was on my Curve 8330 hands down and that phone was just pure reliable. After using the Bold 9650s keyboard I quickly got used to it and like it and it doesnt really bother me how close they are.
    06-10-11 10:45 AM
    "Bold" is the best for me. pretty much type with out looking
    06-10-11 10:48 AM
    What he said...

A few weeks after switching from a Curve to a Bold and your thumbs won't know the difference.
    06-10-11 10:48 AM
    The Curve's keyboard is so condusive to typing, whenever I've picked up a Bold at the cell store I've wondered the same thing. I suppose it could be a matter of getting used to?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by T�nis; 06-10-11 at 10:51 AM.
    06-10-11 10:49 AM
    My wife loves typing on her Curve keyboard. She doesn't like trying to type on my Tour/Bold-style keyboard. Going from my Tour to her Curve, the keys feel funny to me.

It's just whatever you are used to, I guess.
    06-10-11 11:06 AM
    I was wondering why so many people prefer the "bold" keyboard layout over the "Curve?" The Bold's keyboard is very tight/keys side by side practically touching each other and it's very easy to hit wrong keys.

The Curve on the other hand is more spaced out and seems easier to type on without so many errors as I get on the Bold.

I disagree that it is easy to hit the wrong keys on the Bold's keyboard. As the Tour/Bold was my first QWERTY phone I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to quickly learn to type accurately on the keyboard.
    06-10-11 11:10 AM
    I disagree that it is easy to hit the wrong keys on the Bold's keyboard. As the Tour/Bold was my first QWERTY phone I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to quickly learn to type accurately on the keyboard.
    +1 9650 keyboard ftw! I could never go back to Curve.
    06-10-11 11:17 AM
    while the keys are closer together on the Bold, they are angled up and each key has a raised portion, which distinguishes each key well. If you look closely at a bold keyboard, the raised portion of each key is equally as separated as the entire key(s) on a Curve Keyboard.
    06-10-11 11:25 AM
    I agree...IMO the Curve keyboard is much more condusive to typing. Even though I have a Bold the one thing I really miss is the keyboard of my 8900. That's not to say that I haven't gotten used to it, it's just that I still prefer my Curve keyboard.

The Curve's keyboard is so condusive to typing, whenever I've picked up a Bold at the cell store I've wondered the same thing. I suppose it could be a matter of getting used to?

06-10-11 01:27 PM
    My favourite little phone was my burgundy 8310. LOVED that little thing!!!
    I prefer the Curve keyboard, but I also love the 9650. The 9000 was too big for me, I have very small hands.
    Torch is my least favourite, but I love the device.

06-10-11 01:48 PM
    Both are equally great. I've used several other QWERTY phones in the past and nothing comes close to either a Curve's or Bold's keyboards.

OK,here's the tiebreaker. I've got to say the Bold keyboard is a bit more of a looker than a Curve's. Its sleeker

So Bold just edges out Curve based on looks LOL
    06-10-11 02:10 PM
    There is something to be said about the old 83xx keyboard, I always liked the one on my 8330, but I wouldn't go back to the Curve keyboard after using the Bold style keyboard on my Tour. The keys have a higher quality feel to them, not so clicky. One of the worst keyboards I think is the 85xx... keys are way too small, they feel kinda flat (with regards to their layout), I just don't like that one.

Bring on the 9930 keyboard I say, I love the 9000 size and form.
    06-10-11 02:21 PM
    Definitely prefer the Bold keyboard. I just find I have fewer errors using it.
    06-10-11 02:30 PM
    I carry both and use both daily a curve and bold keyboard, and I much prefer the Bold style keyboard,

THOUGH the 8330 device with it's thickness, size, shape, and key feedback was probably my favourite blackberry to ever type on.
    06-10-11 04:10 PM
    Bold keyboard is better. How small and lightweight the curve is is nice though.
    06-10-11 04:11 PM
    With a simple brush over the keys, you may not see that the difference isn't much between the two. The scalloped keyboards are tapered outward from the middle for two-thumb typing. The cut of the keys gives them the feeling of separation. The Curve's keys a set apart slightly but are flat on top and to me, a little harder to tell apart. The 85xx has a little of both. Slightly tapered and also the separate chiclet keys.

A lot of it is what you are used to. I feel like I need to be up on my thumb-tips more with the Curve style but I can make either work. My son can touchtype on his 8310 while staring out the car window and I think he's probably faster than I am on my Bold or even a full PC keyboard...
    06-10-11 04:14 PM

Agreed ! I love my old 8330 keyboard over the 9700 but I am used to it now, after a year or so. I am very interested in the new 9900 keyboard which has a larger keyboard apparently.
    06-10-11 04:30 PM
    I personally like the clicky feel of the curve's keys. It is the first thing I missed when I went to the Bold.

As far as typing goes I can do equally well on both but I like the Curve a little better.

I'm looking forward to the apollo. It will be a nice upgrade from my 9650 hardware wise and I will get the Curve keyboard back. Win Win in my book.

06-10-11 06:36 PM
    The best BlackBerry keyboard I ever used was on my Curve 8330 hands down and that phone was just pure reliable. After using the Bold 9650s keyboard I quickly got used to it and like it and it doesnt really bother me how close they are.
    i like the curves as well..
    i mean i prefer iphone over everything...but yea..
    06-10-11 06:47 PM
    I loved the 8330 kb. But after having the bold kb the 8330 kb feels kind of cheap to me for some reason? Both were great for me though. I tried a droid x for 2 weeks and could not wait to get back to the bold kb!!!
    06-10-11 06:53 PM
    ive had the curve 8520 and disliked the keyboard. it was way too small for me. the bold's got better in my opinion
    06-10-11 09:13 PM
    It's just what you're used to. I'm used to my Bold's keyboard so naturally I love it. My girlfriend has a Curve and she claims to like it more than my Bold's keyboard. It's all a matter of what you're used to.
    06-12-11 01:57 AM
    I don't get why people complain about the keys being so close on the Bold line.

A regular keyboard is close togerher as well, granted the keys are bigger.

I mean in the end it is just a matter of getting used to something. I think majority of BB keyboards are hard to beat.

06-12-11 10:35 AM
    I really enjoyed my 8520s keyboard. I have never used the Bold keyboard but I heard plenty of good things about it.

06-13-11 05:15 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD