What I see is apple consumers brainwash themselves. They tend to crowd together and pump themselves up talking about how apple is so great. And since all there iPhones and iPads are the same they can relate to each other.
    Android customers normally dont have a chance to relate since no 2 android customers with the same setup will find each other. They spend there time showing their setup and checking out others setup. Android is constantly evolving so your always learning something new.
    And how is that any different from bb users, winmo users, android users?

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    TGR1 and GingerSnapsBack like this.
    03-25-12 10:34 PM
    I think the campaign is pretty good, and also that the target demographic is not CrackBerry Nation. An ad that this forum loved would probaby go like a lead balloon with the general public.
    03-25-12 10:39 PM
    I like Bold. Sends the message that you don't follow the masses. The IBM of 1984 is the Apple of 2012.

The toys angle will backfire. People buy iPhones because they are toys that you also do work.

The UK commercial is the way to go. Show how nice the Bold looks with the gorgeous keyboard and touch screen and throw in a little pinch and zoom.

I wouldn't try to include the Playbook -- that would just confuse the average buyer.
    03-25-12 10:52 PM
    any1 who goes around saying Be Bold is a knob I'm sry
    03-26-12 04:41 AM
    any1 who goes around saying Be Bold is a knob I'm sry
    It's actually pretty lame. And you'll never get a younger generation to put their stamp of approval on it.

"Be Bold!"

At what? Walking the dog? Doing the dishes?

Oh yeah, "Be Bold" at using using your phone.

Dumbest thing I've eve heard.

Does their marketing dept even test this stuff with audiences?
    03-26-12 08:25 AM
    Never seen people so passionate about a commercial. Maybe that's a good thing for RIM if the commercials evolve. Grab people's attention and then pull them in. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit. LOL.
    03-26-12 09:22 AM
    Yeah I just saw the commercial with the brother DJ's again last night. A 30 second spot to say they can tweet from a Bold, and they need tools not toys. Meanwhile the competition can be both a tool and a toy. Consumers want value for their money and devices to do more and more, not be specific. RIM's catering products to the CIO's is really working for them now as those CIO's are embracing BYOD, just like catering to the carriers is helping as the carriers are telling people to buy other devices . RIM, the end user needs to be the target now, not a corporate officer or a carrier! Not making the end user the number one priority will be the final nail in the coffin if you don't change.
    03-26-12 10:09 AM
    I don't think Be Bold is a terrible catch-phrase. they are just doing a bad job of using that message.

Be Bold is kind of a catchy, strong, aggressive idea. the phone is called the Bold, it has the 2 B's like BlackBerry.

The phrase isn't the problem, it's how they have been implementing it. it is something that SHOULD catch on...they could include little window-stickers that say "Be Bold" with the BB logo with each new Bold that people buy. it's simple, catchy, and it fits. they are just wasting it on those stupid twins and the stupid glow-in-the-dark bicycles.
    03-26-12 10:47 AM
    That one with the two brothers who DJ is the worst. I'm sorry, but everytime I see it and my husband is in the room, the first thing I hear is my husband yell "TIMMEH". I swear the one brother looks and acts...special. Also why is tweeting suddenly not using a 'toy'? They go on and on about tweeting...

The one with the doctor, I can see. The one with the older music producer, I can see. The cuppycake lady is starting to push it but those two twits...

And for the record, my iPhone is no more a toy than my Bold. The only thing I prefer about the 9900 is they keyboard. Right now I'm using it because we have a store setup happening and everyone was on BBM so its easier for that, but there isn't anything I do everyday that I can't do as well on my iPhone.

So this "we needs tools not toys" and "Be Bold" is really stupid to me.
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by reeneebob; 03-26-12 at 11:14 AM.
    GingerSnapsBack and moiselles like this.
    03-26-12 11:10 AM
    I don't think Be Bold is a terrible catch-phrase. they are just doing a bad job of using that message.

Be Bold is kind of a catchy, strong, aggressive idea. the phone is called the Bold, it has the 2 B's like BlackBerry.

The phrase isn't the problem, it's how they have been implementing it. it is something that SHOULD catch on...they could include little window-stickers that say "Be Bold" with the BB logo with each new Bold that people buy. it's simple, catchy, and it fits. they are just wasting it on those stupid twins and the stupid glow-in-the-dark bicycles.
    Geez! Window stickers with the purchase of a phone?

Wow! I can see the younger generation waiting in line to get one of those premium stickers.

Yeah, they'd be all over that one.

I live in a city of 19 million people. 74% of us don't own cars.

I guess I could put that sticker in the window of my apt, but I'm on the 36th floor.

Maybe the pigeons could Be Bold.
    03-26-12 11:14 AM
    Geez! Window stickers with the purchase of a phone?

Wow! I can see the younger generation waiting in line to get one of those premium stickers.

Yeah, they'd be all over that one.

I live in a city of 19 million people. 74% of us don't own cars.

I guess I could put that sticker in the window of my apt, but I'm on the 36th floor.

Maybe the pigeons could Be Bold.
    put it on your bike helmet. or your messenger bag. or on your laptop. there's plenty of places someone could stick it. not to mention the 26% (roughly 5 million) people in your city that DOES own a car.

i could suggest a place where you could stick it but i don't want to get banned
    03-26-12 11:40 AM
    put it on your bike helmet. or your messenger bag. or on your laptop. there's plenty of places someone could stick it. not to mention the 26% (roughly 5 million) people in your city that DOES own a car.

i could suggest a place where you could stick it but i don't want to get banned
    My point was that "inside the box" thinking is what's hurting RIM. Reaching out your existing client is akin to suicide.

But yeah, you telling me where to stick it is exactly what the average consumer is now telling RIM.
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    03-26-12 12:23 PM
    I agree with the OP, 100%. Whenever I go on YouTube, I often expect to see a Galaxy Nexus commercial pop up before my video starts (the whole "Galileo" ad). The Samsung and Apple ads are actually quite good. I like how they're creative and show what the phones can do. The wording on the ads are cool. Samsung's "face unlock" ad with the little kid trying to imitate his father's moustache was cute, too.

I am a BlackBerry user and love the products; but I don't think the "We need tools, not toys" slogan is appropriate. It almost sounds like RIM is assuming that iPhones and Androids are "toys" (or anything other than a BlackBerry are "toys"); and I am not thrilled about that assumption. iPhones and Droids are great; and I don't think that kind of slogan will sit well with some people, since it almost sounds like the advertisers are stating that (subjectively) BlackBerry is better. I agree that BlackBerry is awesome; but I don't think those kinds of commercials - showing bias and not the strong points of the phone (BBM, browsing, apps, keyboard, music) - will win a lot of potential BlackBerry customers.

Again, I love BlackBerry and RIM; but I think they need to fix their marketing plan in order to make their commercials more objective and complimentary.
    HeezyBear and pantlesspenguin like this.
    03-26-12 01:55 PM
    The Blackberry is a communications device without equal.. it does what it does better than any alternative.. as a communications focussed tool.

But with market share waning to 8% and likely further to fall, it is CLEAR that what BB offers is NOT what the general consuming public wants or desires, or is willing to throw their money down for.

If we are looking at customer appeal, unless we are smoking something we need to accept that there is zero toy/fun media/games/infotainment appeal in the BB.. nada zilch and zippo... in this respect it is completely blown away by the iPhone, and moreso particularly by the larger screened Android devices. .. ANY attempt to market the BB family as an alternative platform for such use would be met with outright derision by both management and the general consuming public.

For months and months many forumites have whined and complained about the lack of advertising.. well, RIM IS advertising, and advertising the STRENGTHS of the platform and dealing with the realities of making do with what it has to offer until a consumer desirable phone, os & application suite are available..

Any experienced marketer knows that you push, advertise and paly to your strengths.. and ignore your weaknesses.. RIM is doing that until it has something better to offer...

..and it beats me why we have 8 pages of comment to an OP with a post count of ONE.. doesnt anyone have a troll detector anymore?
    Last edited by mystic205; 03-26-12 at 02:17 PM.
    03-26-12 02:14 PM
    ... we need to accept that there is zero toy/fun media/games/infotainment appeal in the BB.. nada zilch and zippo...
    I'm thankful for this.
    03-26-12 02:28 PM
    My point was that "inside the box" thinking is what's hurting RIM. Reaching out your existing client is akin to suicide.

But yeah, you telling me where to stick it is exactly what the average consumer is now telling RIM.
    I could be wrong, but I seem to remember Apple being made fun of for including Apple stickers with their products for the least few years. That stickers are childish.

Of course, when APPLE does it...
    03-26-12 04:14 PM
    I could be wrong, but I seem to remember Apple being made fun of for including Apple stickers with their products for the least few years. That stickers are childish.

Of course, when APPLE does it...
    I first saw that sticker when I got my Apple TV. I had no idea what it was for then and still don't know.

And I would NEVER has guessed that it was a sticker for the car I don't own.

But like you said, the made fun of them too. Stickers are a pretty lame idea.
    03-26-12 04:56 PM
    In "Night Bikes" Jake and Ben are really cool. What do you suppose they do for work? I think they're IT guys.
    03-26-12 07:43 PM
    If the alternative platforms argue that they can produce formidable communication devices (and, to the chagrin of the purists, they actually can, IMHO), to compete, RIM has to be able to say they can produce attractive entertainment hubs.

The days of RIM devices owning the communications sector are past... and no, keyboard shortcuts do NOT give them the edge anymore.

Having a device that can entertain its owner is crucial. I believe RIM understands it now.
    03-26-12 08:37 PM
    ... Having a device that can entertain its owner is crucial ...
    No, that's idiotic. There's no need to dumb down a terrific device (BlackBerry) to appease masses of idiots.
    FMB8900 likes this.
    03-26-12 08:55 PM
    No, that's idiotic. There's no need to dumb down a terrific device (BlackBerry) to appease masses of idiots.
    Rubbish... Sour grapes...
    pantlesspenguin and reeneebob like this.
    03-26-12 09:01 PM
    They need to stop making commercials about the BlackBerry "lifestyle". We all know that smartphones are used for email, messaging and keeping everyone connected. ALL smartphones can do this...it's a given, pretty much a basic function of such a device.

People want to know what else their smartphone can do. Like many of you have pointed out, Apple's commercials are great at showing what else can be done.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-26-12 09:03 PM
    Dodos thought everyone else was stupid, too.

Now see, that is a marketing campaign: Blackberry devices: We Won't be Dumbed Down.
    03-26-12 09:29 PM
    I think what some people don't realize is the brand "BlackBerry" needs to be flushed from our minds for a while.

For most young adults out there BlackBerry represents that old brand that their father or mother had. It's the same reason why your dad drove a Ford and you drive a Chev. RIM can make a BlackBerry that will fly you to Mars but if it aint cool, nobody cares.
    03-26-12 10:33 PM
    I think what some people don't realize is the brand "BlackBerry" needs to be flushed from our minds for a while.

For most young adults out there BlackBerry represents that old brand that their father or mother had. It's the same reason why your dad drove a Ford and you drive a Chev. RIM can make a BlackBerry that will fly you to Mars but if it aint cool, nobody cares.
    I think that is the very problem with the youngest generation today (my generation, actually). They're so hung up on the latest thing that anything else that was equally just as good and just not "current" or "cool" according to their cliques or celebrities is rubbish. They could've loved it last week; but because so-and-so doesn't like it, they ditch it.

I am fascinated by Android and stuff; and while I do admit that since it is so popular (and mostly because many of my friends have them), I will play with it. But I will NOT change my product choice to a newer phone just because everyone else has it; or because people think it's cool. Since I was fascinated by touchscreen phones, I was happy to see the Torch 9860. If I ever choose to go that route, I will get that phone since it's within my contract with BlackBerry (nothing against an Android; but this is because I am also within a contract).

I think that if this generation looked with their brains and not just their eyes, we would have a much safer society for the future. Instead of wanting the next coolest thing, we should focus on what we would personally like and be unique individuals. It's fun to just be yourself and not to do what everyone else is doing. So if BlackBerry isn't "cool," I'll still be the person at the kiosks playing with a BlackBerry more than any other device!
    03-26-12 11:36 PM
181 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD