I said commercials are to reinforce to existing customers, to remind them to trade up. And even Mercedes has the C Class, budget model, hence the Curve.
    So you think reminding existing users to trade up is more important than reaching out to a new customer base? Can you imagine if all commercials for all companies were like that? "Current customers! Come down to xyz company. You know what we do and what we offer. For those that shop at our competitors, don't bother coming in. You wouldn't understand our products anyway." Yeah I'm sure that would be very effective.
    03-25-12 08:55 AM
    So you think reminding existing users to trade up is more important than reaching out to a new customer base? Can you imagine if all commercials for all companies were like that? "Current customers! Come down to xyz company. You know what we do and what we offer. For those that shop at our competitors, don't bother coming in. You wouldn't understand our products anyway." Yeah I'm sure that would be very effective.
    Clearly there's more than one school of thought on it. Nothing you or anyone else has said proves the Be Bold commercials are no good or have to go.
    03-25-12 09:09 AM
    Clearly there's more than one school of thought on it. Nothing you or anyone else has said proves the Be Bold commercials are no good or have to go.
    IMHO some of the bb faithful on this board are just happy to see ANY bb commercial since any advertising has been missing for months. They (and you) might be content with a commercial with someone holding up a bb and saying a catchphrase, but there are also those who know it will take a lot more to capture the attention of those who have moved on to different platforms, especially those who have used bbs in the past and left because they were underwhelmed.
    avt123 likes this.
    03-25-12 09:33 AM
    I like the Be Bold and the Tools not Toys. iOS devices are primarily used for playing games. Or at least that is what I see them being used for. The most productivity I see iOS devices being used for is in the commercials. (I'm sure they have decent productivity apps, that many people adore, but you know what I'm getting at.)

I do agree with the OP though they need to show more what the BB phones can do. Would love to see a BB handset and PB working together. The way the commercials are now it makes RIM look insecure!
    03-25-12 09:42 AM
    I think what a lot of people are saying, without saying it, is that the recent "Be Bold" commercials are good commercials - but they're niche commercials. They're targeted to the audience that needs the seamless form and function of a QWERTY keyboard to get daily jobs done - small business owners, for example.

While this is fine, this CAN'T be the only audience! I agree with many that we need marketing towards the features and abilities of a Blackberry, both in its current form AND I swear, we need to start teasing Blackberry 10. As other posters have commented, to be bold, you've got to make some waves.

So, RIM, tout what you have, they're damn good devices. Next, get a FIRM DATE for launch of BB10, and then smack the channels with teasers and get people talking. Make it realistic, but also make it to where everyone with some dime-a-dozen android device or iPhone look down and wonder what made them make the decision to go with their current handset.

A lot of people say that BB10 will make or break RIM, particularly in North America. I say a HUGE part of that scenario is going to be their marketing of their new product.
    03-25-12 09:42 AM
    iOS devices are primarily used for playing games. Or at least that is what I see them being used for.
    Yes... whenever I see someone with an iPhone, I demand to inspect it. They are always playing games. Always.

When I see people with BBs, they are always working on spreadsheets. Always.

It's actually in the Cell User's Bill of Rights: if you use an iPhone, it must "primarily" be used for games. Yes.
    03-25-12 10:01 AM
    I posted this awhile back, but this is an example of a commercial I'd like to see once BB10 hits:

A guy is walking along the street getting increasingly frustrated at his old blackberry. He's cursing at the spinning clock, truncated emails, tiny screen, etc (this would show RIM is aware of their past shortcomings). After he's had enough he passes by a phone retailer. He walks in and the sales associate sees the blackberry in his hand. He smiles and says "I have the perfect phone for you." He leads the guy to the counter and pulls out a BB10 device. He quickly runs through all the new features and functions of the phone, showing off its raw power and multitasking ability. With his eyes glossed over, obviously impressed, the guy says he's sold and asks what kind of machine this is. The sales associate smirks, turns the phone over, and shows him the blackberry logo. It could end with a tagline EVERYONE can relate to, like "The BOLD just got DARING."

Something like this would resonate with current bb users as well as those who have switched platforms.
    03-25-12 10:01 AM
    I asked a friend what he thought of the commercials and what he got from it. His response was "well I know now they are still selling blackberries. Looks like they still are probably the same though". That to me proved an unsuccessful commercial. He didn't know it had a touchscreen let alone any advantages of os7. This guy happens to also be actively looking for a new smartphone. It if wasn't for me he wouldn't have never gave the device a second look when purchasing. He also said he didn't get what "we need tools, not toys" reffered to at all. He didn't understand how the blackberry was more of a tool than his old ip3gs. And even though this guy is pretty smart, Im sure this is to be interpreted as stupid consumer by you. That's because your blinded by fanboyism and can't see the flaws in the design of these ads. You only seem to view it from your POV and it effects you. But outside of tõnisland, these ads do nothing for anyone not in-the-know --which is alot of folks. Not everyone has time to be on sites like CB, so if these ads aren't getting the point across, nothing will. We know damn sure no one in any retail store is gonna sell blackberries, so if these commercials are unsuccessful, then there goes another RIM avenue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-25-12 10:36 AM
    And even though this guy is pretty smart, Im sure this is to be interpreted as stupid consumer by you. That's because your blinded by fanboyism and can't see the flaws in the design of these ads. You only seem to view it from your POV and it effects you.
    Didn't your hear?

Only "Professionals" use BB phones.

So goes the story.
    03-25-12 11:09 AM
    I agree.

I believe that RIM needs Marketing and I'm happy that they finally were able to put out a few commercials. That being said, the commercials impress people about everything but the phone. The one with the glowing bikes I showed to a few friends and at the end of the commercial all they cared about was the Bikes and some of them didn't even know what the commercial was about. I believe they need to take a little less emphasis on cool effects and more on cool phone.
    03-25-12 11:21 AM
    They need to target the segment of the population that is not buying their phones. What do these people do with their phones....generally play games, listen to music, socially interact with others (in a totally non social way when you think about it) etc. Those are the people that you need to gear the commercials towards. Show a little fun and less seriousness and Canadian multi cultural blahness. It's almost like they are trying to be PC with their phones. Lighten up.
    TgeekB likes this.
    03-25-12 11:24 AM
    The OP needs to be hired asap.
    03-25-12 11:30 AM
    iOS devices are primarily used for playing games.
    Thanks for dictating how people use their devices. You must know what is on everyones iPhone and all their app usage to make a claim like this.
    Chrisy, TgeekB and pantlesspenguin like this.
    03-25-12 11:44 AM
    If I were running marketing and I knew I had a major launch coming up(supposedly) I would not spend a significant portion of my advertising dollars trying to convince folks to purchase a device on the 'old' platform, who will then be pissed when the 'new' product hits the shelves and they're stuck in a two year contract.

Keep in mind, BB10 is not an upgrade to an existing platform. New phone, new UI.

I wouldn't spend ONE CENT advertising BB7 phones to consumers.

I would drop the price dramatically and make it the new 'enterprise' phone.

Just my two cents.

Learn from Apple.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 03-25-12 at 12:04 PM.
    03-25-12 11:59 AM
    Tools, not toys, bb! Be Bold! I have a BlackBerry Bold. I'm bold.
    FMB8900 likes this.
    03-25-12 12:06 PM
    If I were running marketing and I knew I had a major launch coming up(supposedly) I would not spend a significant portion of my advertising dollars trying to convince folks to purchase a device on the 'old' platform, who will then be pissed when the 'new' product hits the shelves and they're stuck in a two year contracts.

Keep in mind, BB10 is not an upgrade to an existing platform. New phone, new UI.

I wouldn't spend ONE CENT advertising BB7 phones to consumers.

I would drop the price dramatically and make it the new 'enterprise' phone.

Just my two cents.

Learn from Apple.
    And folks talk about how fragmented other platforms are. In contrast, bb for that reason Is much more fragmented. Atleast with other platforms different devices regardless of os version can still use all the same apps, & have the potential for os upgrades via development from various sources.

I would still say they should advertise os7 a good amount now though, then provide maybe a discount for bb10 devices via a trade in of sorts. That would be the only logical way to fix that problem. But it starts with properly executing these ads.

03-25-12 12:12 PM
    Tools, not toys, bb! Be Bold! I have a BlackBerry Bold. I'm bold.
    Well you're in the states.

That's at least 1 sale every two years.

Rome wasn't built in a day...
    03-25-12 12:14 PM
    Whoever they have saying "BlackBerry Bold. Be Bold" has got to go!!!
    03-25-12 12:23 PM

I would still say they should advertise os7 a good amount now though, then provide maybe a discount for bb10 devices via a trade in of sorts. That would be the only logical way to fix that problem. But it starts with properly executing these ads.

This could possibly create more problems. Possibly. Cell carriers already provide a subsidy on most phones to get folks to sign new contracts. So, any trade-in value, while still under contract, may have to come directly from RIM.

This means incentives coming directly from RIM would need to be at a price point were a consumer would be willing to pay more than the standard $199 - $250 range.

If RIM were to provide more than that, they may find themselves eating away at their own profits.

It's a tough situation all around. That's why I would ditch any specific phone advertising and just do my best to keep the brand out there.
    03-25-12 12:33 PM
    Be Bold! Watch it from your BlackBerry Bold:

NIGHT BIKES

Okay, you can watch from your Torch or Curve, too.
    03-25-12 02:12 PM
    BlackBerry BeBold street team is walking around lincoln road, Miami giving away $1000 shopping sprees to nordstrom and bergdorf goodman to random winners who add the PIN: 32F42561
    03-25-12 03:00 PM
    BlackBerry BeBold street team is walking around lincoln road, Miami giving away $1000 shopping sprees to nordstrom and bergdorf goodman to random winners who add the PIN: 32F42561
    Sounds like someone is trying to get some BBM contacts! (maybe you?) LOL
    03-25-12 03:28 PM
    Totally agree with you!
    I see those commercials and cringe each time. Where are the shots of people actually DOING things with the phone?? The 9900 is a great phone, but nothing of it is shown in the commercials. It's crazy. It's like they don't want to advertise it at all.

Now, compare those ads to Apple's or even Androids. There is no contest.

All they need to do is gather a group of BB power users and get their stories and actions...even link with the Playbook... there are many if they are stuck for inspiration.

I've said it before and I will say it again...their "Marketing" department needs a rocket under them or a shift out. Preferably the latter. And RIM needs a new agency yesterday.
    Last edited by JiveGirl14; 03-25-12 at 03:44 PM.
    03-25-12 03:30 PM
    I think the Tools not Toys one is hilarious XD

It pisses alot of iphone users off lolololololol.

But I think commercial like this are MUCH better

Now that is more like it! Thanks for sharing this. I hadn't seen this one, it's much better. I hope they do more like it.

p.s. I cringe when I watch the tools not toys ads but I laughed when I read that those ads off iphone users...LOLz! I can imagine .
    03-25-12 03:36 PM
    This could possibly create more problems. Possibly. Cell carriers already provide a subsidy on most phones to get folks to sign new contracts. So, any trade-in value, while still under contract, may have to come directly from RIM.

This means incentives coming directly from RIM would need to be at a price point were a consumer would be willing to pay more than the standard $199 - $250 range.

If RIM were to provide more than that, they may find themselves eating away at their own profits.

It's a tough situation all around. That's why I would ditch any specific phone advertising and just do my best to keep the brand out there.
    True. Quite a messy predicament. Either way seems to be a bad move. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Be Bold! Watch it from your BlackBerry Bold:

NIGHT BIKES

Okay, you can watch from your Torch or Curve, too.
    Or my note. I like this one alot too.

03-25-12 03:59 PM
181 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD