I'm currently using the torch 9800 (since last Nov) and I have to admit, other than the faster web browsing experience, it is not as great as I've expected it to be compared with my other BBs.

I am thinking of switching to BB Bold 9900 but I read that OS7 BBs will not be getting any upgrades anymore and certainly won't be upgrading to QNX when it comes out!

Does that mean the Bold 9900 will be obsolete, and probably be forgotten by RIM by next year (software-wise)? Should I still get the Bold 9900 (I loved my Bold 9000)?

Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-11 12:29 AM
    Well you're thinking about getting a Bold 9900 after getting a 9800 I'm assuming a year ago. So in a year if you decide to get a BBX phone. You can get that also.

I'd say get it. Honestly, I don't think the BBX phones are gonna come out til like August of next year.
    polarcatz likes this.
    10-19-11 12:59 AM
    even if BBX does come out early next year, would you want to be a guinea pig?
    Chrisy and polarcatz like this.
    10-19-11 01:06 AM
    9800 is a good phone and should still be sufficient for another year. The battery drain issue probably reduced by upgrading to the latest version .666 or .668 which boast to have better battery life per charge.

Unless you have money to spend, best wait for the BBX phone. If you change your mind, 9900 probably cost less in a few months time.
    polarcatz likes this.
    10-19-11 01:08 AM
    Just got the first patch from Verizon today on the 9930. I would expect the 99xx devices to get several updates for OS7 over the life of the phones. As for a major OS update to say QNX, you would likely not want it anyhow (RIM's implied it will not happen). Chances are without the OS being on the exact hardware it would not engineered for, it would not run all that well.

Also RIM is an enterprise company. They are not going to abandon a flagship device like that.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by southlander; 10-19-11 at 02:34 AM.
    polarcatz likes this.
    10-19-11 02:32 AM
    depending on what model you have i would wait. I have the 9700 and it is solid. No need to upgrade unless something spectacular comes along.
    polarcatz likes this.
    10-19-11 02:54 AM
    QNX phones are not going to be out for a long, long time. A lifetime in the tech world. Grab the bird in the hand.
    polarcatz likes this.
    10-19-11 02:56 AM
    Simple...wait.I'm rocking a 9780 and it gets everything done. Wait and see what RIM decides to do.

polarcatz likes this.
    10-19-11 03:02 AM
    I pulled the trigger and got a 9930 (mainly because it was a no brainer for $0.01 with a new 2 year contract with VZW through Amazon.)

Disregard the OS7 phones not getting updates. There have been updates in the last couple of days that are significant improvements.

If you have the money to spare, get it. I won't bore you with details, but the difference in performance was worth the upgrade to me. I couldn't hold out any longer, let alone for another year, on an OS6 device.

I'm what most would consider a "Power User". I average about 200-300 texts/emails and 8+ hours of talk each day. Not to mention all the browsing and social media... So I needed something that wouldn't lag on me and smooth enough to handle a call, prep an email/text/bbm, and search through old messages/files all at the same time (not to mention with all the other apps and crap running in the background).

And that's not saying that a Bold 9650/9780 couldn't handle that. But once I got my hands on a 99xx, everything else was cheap Whiskey.
    Last edited by jranciano; 10-19-11 at 03:14 AM.
    polarcatz likes this.
    10-19-11 03:09 AM
    Thanks for all your great inputs!

9800 is a nice phone but I don't think I want to keep it for another year! Will probably be getting the 9900 and sell my torch tomorrow! Woohoo!

10-19-11 03:15 AM
    Thanks for all your great inputs!

9800 is a nice phone but I don't think I want to keep it for another year! Will probably be getting the 9900 and sell my torch tomorrow! Woohoo!

Which carrier are you with by the way?
    10-19-11 03:49 AM
    Which carrier are you with by the way?
    I live in Hong Kong and the carrier is smartone-vodafone.

I could have gotten the phone for free with a 2 year contract, but I am already bound by my original contract for another year

How much does a 9900 cost in the states? Its around 740USD in Hong Kong.

10-19-11 09:56 AM
    States is around $550 on Verizon Wireless full retail

polarcatz likes this.
    10-19-11 10:00 AM
    Simple...wait.I'm rocking a 9780 and it gets everything done. Wait and see what RIM decides to do.

...and especially with the latest .668 updates, the battery life is simply amazing!
    10-20-11 12:38 AM
    I GOT IT TODAY!!!!!

I DO NOTTTTT regret selling the torch and getting the bold! Its AWESOMEEEE!
    Delil, TIMSHULL and TrespassersW like this.
    10-20-11 05:01 AM
    I did the same thing as you did a couple of weeks ago. haven't regretted the switch. And when the new phones start hitting the market +/- 6 months from now, I'll probably sell this one.
    10-20-11 05:26 AM
    The other thing to remember is that the first BBX (QNX) phones are supposed to be Touch Screen Only. So if you need a Physical Keyboard you'll probably have to wait even longer.

10-20-11 05:51 AM
    I'm trying to wait until next year because I'm hoping the BBX phones will support 4G capability. If you can, maybe hold off six-nine months.
    10-20-11 06:05 AM
    The big reason Id go for a 9900 right now is because I cant see how they will integrate the whole BBX experience on a BlackBerry standard form phone. If you chuck in the keyboard and a small screen, and then look at some of the bezel gestures etc that make using the Playbook so enjoyable, I think itd be really hard to get that on a phone that isnt a massive brick. If its a move to phones without keyboards Id find that really hard.
    So ATM Id go with a current gen BlackBerry but in all honesty for the camera and the battery life and the price at the moment Id go for a 9780.
    10-20-11 06:54 AM
    I made the jump to a 9900 a few weeks ago. LOVE IT!

Best blackberry I've ever had hands down.

As for rim not providing updates, I'm not worried about that per-say, I think rim ill hold up its end up to the release of BBX, but I don't think we'll see BBX on it.

Where I am more concerned tho, is the apps.. We didn't have a huge app catalog to begin with, and multiple months after launch of OS7 many of the apps still have not been upgraded for compatibility. Many apps that I had purchased and paid for on my OS6 device are now useless. And while devcon left me excited and hopeful that many developers will be working on or porting apps for my playbook and future BBX devices, It seemed like developing for OS7 was all but forgotten before it began
    10-20-11 10:04 AM
    The story/decision here is... if you have the money to burn or you're just not happy with your current device by all means go ahead and do it...

If you think your current device is sufficient for another 6-8 months then wait. No point breaking the bank just to have a faster response device. 9800 is pretty decent.
    10-21-11 02:35 AM
    I GOT IT TODAY!!!!!

I DO NOTTTTT regret selling the torch and getting the bold! Its AWESOMEEEE!
    I'm jealous!! I would've done the same, but a broken screen is useless for resale! I've had two Bolds in the past, and I really miss it..
    10-21-11 02:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD