Just bought this bold second hand, pretty technical person but this one stumps me, i am not sure if its a bold issue or a specific device issue.

The bold is a at&t branded bold, and it is unlocked-- i had mms working everything worked fine and then i tried maps and it crashed... if i try to get a gps location via options it crashes too..

is it a software issue? a bug ?

thanks if you help at all
    12-11-11 09:50 AM
    You can run the internal self-test to check the GPS. Go to Options / Device / Device and Status Information. Depending on your OS, this path may be slightly different. However you get there, you want to get to the screen that shows your device pin. On this screen, type the letters "test". You won't see them echoed on the screen. When you type the last t, you'll be prompted to run the internal self-test. Be sure you are outdoors with a clear view of the sky all the way to the horizon in at least several directions when you run the GPS test.
    12-11-11 12:04 PM
    just crashes again...
    12-11-11 02:03 PM
    If your device crashes while running the self-test, that's a good indication there is a problem with your device that is likely not something you can repair.
    12-11-11 07:09 PM
    If your device crashes while running the self-test, that's a good indication there is a problem with your device that is likely not something you can repair.
    HI,

Thanks for suggestions above, i have exactly the same problem.

Blackberry Maps, Google Maps, Compass and Camera Geo-tagging all crash the device.

I've tried soft reset, hard reset, factory reset and have resorted to loading an older OS version. My device still crashes with all above apps and crashes when I try the GPS test.

Am i looking at a software or hardware problem here?

Edit:
    one of my colleagues has the same device on the same carrier. i checked out which OS version he's running and have installed same, including factory reset. The (*deleted in respect for forum rules*) device crasehd everytime it uses gps / location finding.

any ideas would be most appreciated!

Edit 2:
    i have no idea how to read the event Logs but did find the following entry:
    "guid:0x1C26EBCD7B130582 timeUTC) Mon Dec 12 15:24:52 2011 severity:2 type:2 approv data:A-GPS net.rim.device.api.system.RadioException: Operation failed"

mean anythign to anyone?
    Last edited by troutboy; 12-12-11 at 12:18 PM.
    12-12-11 03:00 AM
    If the internal self-test fails, and you are the original owner and the device is less than a year old, you have a warranty claim. I don't know of anything a user can do to repair the problem.
    12-12-11 08:46 PM
    Phone taken to service provider - they can;t fix it so it's been sent to the local RIM repair centre.

Am pushing them to hurry up and give an answer but 6 working days so far and no phone. Am suffering with a Nokia whilst I wait
    12-19-11 11:46 PM
    @JeffH

thanks for replies above, my new handset ought to be ready for collection at the shops tomorrow
    12-21-11 08:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD