I'm stuck in a dillema. I'm swapping my Android (Samsung Captivate - Rogers) to a different phone. I've been using my Captivate for 8 months now, and I was frustrated with it being so fragile, the battery life being a complete nightmare, it freezing every few minutes, having to deal with a painfully slow email program that doesn't load emails on time and the obvious lack of BBM. So, after putting up with all of this, I decided I had enough and would go for a phone that is much better. However, I can't seem to pick between the iPhone 4 and the BlackBerry Bold 9780. I asked people, and the iPhone 4 vs. Bold 9780 votes seem to tie. I did a ton of Googling and research, but I can't seem to pick between the two. Help?

Just so you'd know:
    Web Browsing: TONS.
    Social Networking: Facebook, Twitter (like crazy)
    BBM?: I'm desperate.
    Multimedia: MP3s and some vids.
    Texting: A WHOLE CRAPLOAD.
    Camera usage: Would snap a lot of pics.
    Email: Please be push.
    Touch screen or keyboard?: Any.
    Network: Rogers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-11 11:28 PM
    Web browsing on the 9780 is still very frustrating. Everything else is great.

You should just wait for the 9900.
    08-08-11 11:30 PM
    I'd say wait to get the new 9900 bold if you really want bbm, push email and stuff. It's got the touchscreen and the keyboard (if you like physical keyboards). That is if you are willing to pay extra to get the 9900, but in my opinion, its worth it. Any BB7 phone would be fine.

But if you like touchscreens and apps, go with the iphone.

Judging by your needs, (and through my biased opinion), wait for the 9900 if you can!
    LewLew23 likes this.
    08-08-11 11:34 PM
    Yeah I'd wait for the 9900 also. But from everything you asked for (plus BBM), the Bold seems like the better choice. I do everything you do (minus the multimedia - use my PlayBook for that) on my 9800 just fine. Plus this way, you get a touchscreen and a keyboard!
    chiefbroski likes this.
    08-08-11 11:37 PM
    Oh yeah, I forgot to include this: the Torch can also be a third option. Srry I didn't post that earlier.
    08-08-11 11:37 PM
    I'd hold out a couple weeks, and then you'll have a few more choices.
    08-08-11 11:42 PM
    BB9900, 9810, or iPhone5. You'll have to wait anywhere from a week to two months depending on the model, but do not, I repeat, DO NOT get the 9870 when the BB7 phone are so close (or the iPhone4 until you seem what iPhone 5 is all about).

Also, if you're looking at iPhone4, why not 9850/60 as well? Most similar BB to iPhone.

If the wait were three+ months I'd give a different answer, but in this case we're talking a week to two weeks in a couple cases.
    08-08-11 11:46 PM
    Yes you are on Rogers, they have already announced all the new BB7 phones, so the wait should be short, forget the 9780 and decide between the 9900, 9810 or 9860!

CS
    08-09-11 12:01 AM
    IPhone.

08-09-11 12:56 AM
    9780. Then once the 1/2/3 year term is up, the next step up being the 9900 or 9810. That's what I would suggest.

08-09-11 01:58 AM
    If you can wait, as others have said, I would. iPhone 5 is coming soon. If you can't, then iPhone 4 sounds like what you want.

I have a 9780. I really like it but here are some realities. The browsing experience is still slow. There are limited apps. The camera still sucks, especially in low light. There is shutter lag with the camera (not so with iPhone 4). BBM is nice but iMessage is coming and more people are getting iOS devices than BB, so now and down the road BBM is not as big of a deal.

Multimedia (movies) will be better on iPhone screen than 9780.

With ios5 coming soon too, you will have a whole new user experience for free. If you get a 9780 RIM will not release os7 for it. You are stuck with a soon to be ancient OS. Then next year QNX will be released and RIM will leave OS 6 in the dust.

Again, I like my 9780 but in the near future I am going to an iPhone and not looking back.

With that said, realize you came to a blackberry forum to get opinions on which device to get and know you will likely solicit more "get a BB" responses.
    08-09-11 07:00 AM
    I don't know if this will help you in making your decision easier, but Bluetooth file transfer on the iPhone is crippled.
    08-09-11 07:34 AM
    I like the Torch for web browsing personally, my boyfriend has the 9780 and its hard with the smaller screen.

08-09-11 08:22 AM
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to probably wait a few days like most of you said and get the Torch 9860.

08-09-11 11:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD