Hi All,

Can somebody please clarify the following for me please, I'm getting contradictory information from different places (or maybe different models behave differently?).

My understanding is, if I enable WiFi on my BB Bold 9000, it will automatically attempt to connect to services over WiFi rather than the "network"....is this correct?
    And what should I expect to see on the handset - some posts have implied that the WiFi indicator gets greyed out when the WiFi connection is unavailable, but if I have WiFi enabled on my unit, it always shows bright white (i.e. "on").
    What I do see is that if I have a WiFi connection, in the status area it shows [in my case] "VodafoneUK - Upstairs" ("Upstairs" is my SSID name).
    If I go out of range or turn WiFi off, the status returns to "VodafoneUK".

So am I right in assuming that if I have a WiFi connection all communications will go through WiFi rather than across the cell network?

Comments eagerly awaited

S.
    07-28-09 04:04 AM
    If your BlackBerry carrier has UMA and you set the connection preference to "WiFi Preferred" the data will come though the WiFi network. For phones that don't have UMA calls will still go over the carrier network and not WiFi
    07-28-09 04:30 AM
    Thanks for that - not sure that Vodafone UK have UMA. Also, I can't find an option in the BB to set "WiFi Preferred".

However, what I have found (which I think satisfies my curiosity) is that when I am connected to WiFi, if I go into Manage Connections/Services Status, I can see the Voice setting is always "Mobile Network" whereas the BIS/BES settings show a WiFi connection, which is basically what I was trying to identify.
    If I turn off WiFi, the BIS setting goes to "Mobile Network" and the BES setting goes to "not connected" (I don't have a BES server!)
    All I need to do now is go for a walk outside, lose the WiFi connection and double check that it switches to mobile network, then (more importantly!) automatically switches back to WiFi when I come back in range.

I appreciate that voice calls will always go over the mobile network (unless I can find out about UMA), so I think the question is answered - thanks again!

S.
    07-28-09 04:46 AM
    Or is there at least a way to quickly switch?
    07-28-09 01:13 PM
    OK, walked the dogs this evening and checked BB while I was out. Once out of range of my home WiFi, the Services Status for BIS automatically switched to "mobile network".
    As soon as I got back in range it automatically switched back to WiFi - marvellous!! (Obviously leave WiFi on !!)

Incidentally, I upgraded to OS .282 last night. Now that I automatically track WiFi at home, my battery has been amazing - only lost 17% all day, previously would get right down to 10% in 18 hours.
    I suspect that this is most likely to be because I'm in a weak 3G area and the phone was constantly fighting for a signal. It also means I could actually switch off 3G competely if I'm at home and only turn it back on when I go out.

So, happy bunny !!

HTH others,

S
    07-28-09 04:22 PM
    Yeah, I leave Wi-Fi on at all times and only turn on 3G when I'm using the browser or streaming radio while driving. For voice I leave it on 2G only. Battery has seen drastically improved life between charges.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-09 05:48 PM
    My WiFi symbol is always greyed out. Don't think its ever been white.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-09 09:14 PM
    Well, but does it actually use the WiFi connection, when browsing for instance? Or do I have to switch to the WiFi browser manually? (excuse me for not being clear in the first place )
    Last edited by Shoogster; 07-28-09 at 09:54 PM.
    07-28-09 09:52 PM
    Well, but does it actually use the WiFi connection, when browsing for instance? Or do I have to switch to the WiFi browser manually? (excuse me for not being clear in the first place )
    You have to go to Options > Browser Config > and change the browser to Hotspot Browser.
    07-28-09 10:02 PM
    You have to go to Options > Browser Config > and change the browser to Hotspot Browser.
    Thanks!
    I assume there is no way for the device to switch to this browser automatically when on WiFi?
    07-28-09 10:16 PM
    I am confused as to what the "hotspot browser" is... I have WiFi at my house that I automatically connect to when I am at home and my WiFi symbol turns solid white, like it should... I have never changed my config. to "hotspot browser"... Am I supposed to? I am pretty certain my Bold is running on WiFi without me having touched this option...
    07-28-09 10:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD