They do have their place though, sms can be sent without a data connection, I don't know about cdma but sms can be sent on gsm, no need for data plan or data connection. There are still some remote places that data hasn't made it to, mountains for example.
    I didn't say it was not useful. I said it was a rip off, referring to the cost.

I have a single line so $20 extra is a lot for that. I pay 40 for voice and 30 for data.

I blocked text a year ago. There's so many alternatives.

I would never reply on SMS as my primary way to stay in contact. I'd use voice.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 12-14-11 at 08:57 PM.
    12-14-11 08:54 PM
    I didn't say it was not useful. I said it was a rip off, referring to the cost.

I have a single line so $20 extra is a lot for that. I pay 40 for voice and 30 for data.

I blocked text a year ago. There's so many alternatives.

I would never reply on SMS as my primary way to stay in contact. I'd use voice.
    Wow, that is a rip off, my 2 year contract came with a free Bold 9900, unlimited sms, 750mb data, 900 outgoing minutes (incoming are free in europe), 2gb of public wifi (BT openzone), 25mb daily roaming and 10 roaming sms daily, all for �41 monthly.
    12-15-11 12:09 AM
    I don't think I want to waste the brain cells it takes to understand that.

Your plan dictates how much WiFi data you can use?

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express
    12-15-11 12:49 AM
    I don't think I want to waste the brain cells it takes to understand that.

Your plan dictates how much WiFi data you can use?

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express
    No man, if you don't get it all you had to do is google "BT Openzone"

https://www.btopenzone.com:8443/selfcare/purchase/chooseProduct.htm?s_cid=con_ppc_maxus_openzone_goo gle_g_brand_brand_bt_openzone_exact_match

It's a network of wifi hotspots around uk.
    12-15-11 01:11 AM
    Well at least I have my unlimited data. And I tether free. That makes it more tolerable. Lol.
    12-15-11 04:03 AM
    Unless I'm missing something, I've found direct sms/text to be better than any other application alternatives. Granted I haven't used Google voice to send messages since it can't send mass texts.

Between me, my wife, and my two teenage daughters we'll blow through 10K texts a month easy. I find the $30 a month for unlimited texting for all five lines to be a pretty good deal.
    12-15-11 10:09 AM
    I have the 9800, my wife has the iPhone 4s. We use WhatsApp on both our phones, works very well.

Messaging should have been standardized years ago...sucks to have all these incompatible IMs.
    12-15-11 12:12 PM
    Unless I'm missing something, I've found direct sms/text to be better than any other application alternatives. Granted I haven't used Google voice to send messages since it can't send mass texts.

Between me, my wife, and my two teenage daughters we'll blow through 10K texts a month easy. I find the $30 a month for unlimited texting for all five lines to be a pretty good deal.
    You must not travel much, and stay in strong signal areas

When I travel in North Western Ontario, 50-75% of text messages sent never get to the respondent, and they inform me that they messaged me, and it didn't get through,

Were as my BBM gets about a 95% success rate if not higher, and I don't get told my messages didn't get to me by the senders very often,

MSN, and Gtalk both sit around 50% for communications.

When traveling outside of my country, SMS costs me both IN and OUT, and can be as much as $1.5/SMS, (each way)
    BBM works out to about $2/day of solid BBMing
    MSN Works out to about $6/day of solid gtalking
    gTalk works out to about $5/day solid gtalking
    when traveling into the US

Fees in Europe are even higher.

in addition to SMS vs Data Chat, the limited characters of SMS, make it much more challenging to convey a point, as you can imagine by my posts on this site, I get wordy in my communication, SMS has a habit of not sending large volumes of texts in the order they should go, adding confusion.
    12-15-11 02:43 PM
    I don't travel a lot. I'm in OKC a vast majority of the time. I travel down to Texas a few times a year to see my parents and to compete in Highland Games. And 4-5 days a year on my annual trip to the National Soccer Coaches Association of America's annual conference/convention.

As far as signal...I have areas I'm in where I'm at one bar and have no issues getting texts in and out.
    12-15-11 11:49 PM
    I have the 9800, my wife has the iPhone 4s. We use WhatsApp on both our phones, works very well.

Messaging should have been standardized years ago...sucks to have all these incompatible IMs.
    Messaging was standardized years ago. It's called SMS, MMS, and eMail.
    12-15-11 11:51 PM
    Well at least I have my unlimited data. And I tether free. That makes it more tolerable. Lol.
    Same, except the tethering. 5GB then throttled.

Now if only T-Mobile 3G wasn't so slow here, at least compared to the city I was near before I moved these 1350 miles...

in addition to SMS vs Data Chat, the limited characters of SMS, make it much more challenging to convey a point, as you can imagine by my posts on this site, I get wordy in my communication, SMS has a habit of not sending large volumes of texts in the order they should go, adding confusion.
    That's what email is for. SMS is called SHORT Message Service for a reason.

Both have their place. SMS is superior because it doesn't matter what type of phone the person is using. I'm not going back to using 3+ IM services. That's a terrible user experience even with a client that aggregates them all. I don't like managing all that junk.
    Last edited by N8ter; 12-15-11 at 11:58 PM.
    12-15-11 11:54 PM
    nyimak bae dah
    12-16-11 12:35 AM
    slam kenal semuanya, saya orang indonesia
    12-16-11 12:36 AM

When I travel in North Western Ontario, 50-75% of text messages sent never get to the respondent, and they inform me that they messaged me, and it didn't get through,

Were as my BBM gets about a 95% success rate if not higher, and I don't get told my messages didn't get to me by the senders very often,

MSN, and Gtalk both sit around 50% for communications.

When traveling outside of my country, SMS costs me both IN and OUT, and can be as much as $1.5/SMS, (each way)
    BBM works out to about $2/day of solid BBMing
    MSN Works out to about $6/day of solid gtalking
    gTalk works out to about $5/day solid gtalking
    when traveling into the US

Fees in Europe are even higher.

Man, if everyone traveled like us then BB would still be king of smartphones. People don't get it. When you can use bbm hard, all day while traveling and not hit more than 1-2 megs, that's huge. Same with bb maps. Uses a quarter of the data of gmaps. When I roam around the EU or into the eastern countries like Ukraine, data is up to 2 bucks a Mb. I often pay 100 dollars and buy a 250 MB roaming package to keep costs down if I will be gone a lot.
    BBM works flawlessly everywhere I go. Whatsapp, regular sms(which also are pricey when roaming) are hit or miss in some countries. I have a lot of trouble getting sms in Romania and Poland for whatever reason. BBM always works.
    12-16-11 12:58 AM
    How is WhatsApp hit and miss in some countries?

And you're right. Everyone doesnt travel. Just like everyone isnt a corporate smartphone user or do PIM via Exchange.

There are a lot of thinigs working against this platform on the consumer end...
    12-16-11 01:44 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD