Ran the upgrade (desktop manager) on my 9630 Tour a few weeks ago. Ever since people (on the other end of the call) have been telling my Bluetooth sounds like I am in a windstorm.

I have a BlueAnt Q1 headset, swapped it out twice. Also have a Parrott KC3100 in my car. When I ran 4.7 OS it had outstanding noise canceling, not have been told it sounds like I am in waterfall.

Anyone else have issues since upgrading to 5.0 OS?
    02-22-10 11:57 PM
    I got 5.0.0.419 (no hybrids) and it works just fine.
    02-23-10 08:21 AM
    Ran the upgrade (desktop manager) on my 9630 Tour a few weeks ago. Ever since people (on the other end of the call) have been telling my Bluetooth sounds like I am in a windstorm.

I have a BlueAnt Q1 headset, swapped it out twice. Also have a Parrott KC3100 in my car. When I ran 4.7 OS it had outstanding noise canceling, not have been told it sounds like I am in waterfall.

I started having problems after the update also. But after trying my BlueAnt Z9i on another BB and also trying a Jawbone Icon I came to the conclusion that it is not my Tour. The Z9i also sounded bad on a 8530 Curve and so far the Jawbone Icon is flawless.
    02-23-10 08:57 AM
    Mine works as good as always after official update. I recommend any Plantronics bluetooth headset.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-10 07:30 PM
    Try re-pairing the phone. Your BT connection was restored automatically after the update, but a deleting the profile and re-pairing might fix your issues.
    02-23-10 07:55 PM
    Same problem here with my BlueAnt

Have not tried re-pairing yet but no reason not to

Will report back

Bump for more possible solutions and yes, I feel this could be just a BlueAnt thing with 5.0

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-10 02:50 AM
    My BlueAnt is still under warranty and I am trying to get my Z9i repaired or replaced. Dealing with BlueAnt is a very slow process done through email with several days between responses.
    02-24-10 08:52 AM
    ... it sounds like I am in waterfall.

Call someone before you do this below.
    Try: options>bluetooth, highlight the blueant, hit menu and select "device properties". Try toggling the echo (it is likely on).
    Call the same person back from the same spot.

If there is no difference, I would do the same for encryption, however I doubt that it will make a difference but it's easy enough to try.

Please report back.
    02-24-10 09:50 AM
    OMG!!! I thought I was the only one...Everyone hates talking to me on my Blueant since I upgraded to 5.0. I will try repairing it and see if it works...Everyone is telling me the same thing like it is a lot of wind in the background...Let me know if anything else works...
    02-24-10 10:23 AM
    had the SAME issue with the JABRA Cruiser. Was working fine with 4.7, sucks with 5.0. Much lower volume on my end, and the wind tunnel effect on the other.

Had the same issue with the Storm 1 when I had it.

Might try .419 hybrid instead. I've heard it works fine.
    03-30-10 07:41 AM
    I havent tried my bluetooth yet. I have a plantronics
    03-30-10 08:13 AM
    Some BT headsets (including Jabra) have the ability to update their firmware. You may want to check into that for your headset/carkit.

BT compatibility can be like Voodoo - so many individual idiosyncracies in how a vendor implements it, and how it talks to other devices.

One of the nice things about Jabra was they were one of the few brands that worked OK with Palm Treos, which had notoriously lousy BT implementations. Unlike some other devices that would disconnect when the Treo's BT connection got "lazy", the Jabras would continuously "ping" the Treos and keep the connection alive. (It's just a little weird to keep seeing the phone backlight come on every few minutes whenever the Jabra "pings" it..)
    03-30-10 08:47 AM
    I am new to BB with 8530 and the learning curve is against me right now. I have a jawbone prime and I loved it right up until I got all my BB updates. now everyone says it sounds like trash. Tried turning the echo on, off, automatic, no change. tried deleting the device and re-pairing and also no change. I have 2 of them and I get the same results on both. would appreciate followup on this issue if any gets positive results or tell me how to back up to older OS
    Thanks
    Dan
    04-24-10 10:22 PM
    Bluetooth is controlled by a file called "net_rim_bluetooth.cod" in the Blackberry OS. Some versions of this file are better than others, but the best in my experience is from OS .230. I have heard some users have also had success with the .571 version of this file. I will offer a method to replace this bluetooth file on your phone. It is easy to do, and equally easy to reverse.

Important: backup all data on your phone before attempting as user error could result in needing to reload the OS. If you follow the instructions to the letter however, this should not happen.

1) Download the .230 bluetooth file

2) Decompress the .zip and put the file into a folder in Windows (this is untested for OSX/Linux)

3) Connect your BB via USB to your PC

4) Open BBSAK (if you don't have it download here and install it onto your PC)

5) In BBSAK, go to the "Modify CODs" tab, then hit the "Install COD(s)" button

6) Navigate to the folder in step 2, then select the bluetooth file in that folder and click "Open". BBSAK will install the file onto your phone, and the phone will then reset.

7) Test your phone's bluetooth. If there is no improvement, you can try the .571 bluetooth file. After you download it, repeat steps 2-7. If you wish to return your bluetooth file to its original version, you can either install the OS you're using onto your computer and grab the "net_rim_bluetooth.cod" from the Java folder and repeat steps 2-6, or I can upload most versions of the file by request.
    Last edited by ragnarokx; 04-24-10 at 11:18 PM.
    04-24-10 11:14 PM
    My Motorola HX1 is way better than the Blueant crap. I wouldn't buy another Blueant product after this.
    04-25-10 04:16 AM
    Bluetooth is controlled by a file called "net_rim_bluetooth.cod" in the Blackberry OS. Some versions of this file are better than others, but the best in my experience is from OS .230. I have heard some users have also had success with the .571 version of this file. I will offer a method to replace this bluetooth file on your phone. It is easy to do, and equally easy to reverse.
    I am running 419 with a hybrid. Imo, the 419 bt was horrible. I got a few other 5xx bt.cods and could not get them to work with the 419 os. When the other bt.cods were installed they took out my bbm and the os was not very stable. The only one I found to work with 419 was the 484 bt cod. Will the 230 bt cod work in the 419 or the 591 builds?
    Last edited by dave3825us; 04-25-10 at 05:37 AM.
    04-25-10 04:45 AM
    Ragnarokx
    Thanks, the instructions were easy to follow. When I loaded the 2nd cod the phone did not go thru the reset routine though. Tried it again just to make sure. There is however no voice quality change. Sitting in my quiet office and leaving messages on another voicemail the BB handset sounds alot better than the jawbones, so I'm still looking for a fix. How easy is it to back up to an ealier OS? For me a clear hands free BT is top of the list.
    Dan
    04-25-10 09:42 AM
    I am running 419 with a hybrid. Imo, the 419 bt was horrible. I got a few other 5xx bt.cods and could not get them to work with the 419 os. When the other bt.cods were installed they took out my bbm and the os was not very stable. The only one I found to work with 419 was the 484 bt cod. Will the 230 bt cod work in the 419 or the 591 builds?
    The .230 bluetooth file should work in most any build, it's long been the fix all for tour hybrids. jason also made a patch for the .419 bluetooth, you might want to check it out too: 12 MaNy Bluetooth Fix - Downloads - BBHybrids Forums

Ragnarokx
    Thanks, the instructions were easy to follow. When I loaded the 2nd cod the phone did not go thru the reset routine though. Tried it again just to make sure. There is however no voice quality change. Sitting in my quiet office and leaving messages on another voicemail the BB handset sounds alot better than the jawbones, so I'm still looking for a fix. How easy is it to back up to an ealier OS? For me a clear hands free BT is top of the list.
    Dan
    Did you load the first cod (as I believe that one is better)? Also, what version OS are you on?

And it is very easy to downgrade your OS, I can walk you through it if you like.
    04-25-10 11:34 AM
    I did load the 230 first with no change in transmission quality. How do I certain my OS. When I checked for updates for my handset thru desktop manager there was nothing to upgrade.
    04-25-10 11:43 AM
    The .230 blue tooth file should work in most any build, it's long been the fix all for tour hybrids. Jason also made a patch for the .419 blue tooth, you might want to check it out too:
    It says it "Fixes the .419 blue tooth hangup issue". I have never had a hang up issue. My issue was the volume would not go more than half way up...

The bt from 5xx builds do not work with 419. I tried 530,548, 571 and 591. When installed on a 419 base the bbm would disappear and i would get uncaught exception errors. Thats why I asked if a 2xx file would work in the 4xx environment.

It only takes a minute so after lunch I will try the 230 and compare it to the 484 bt.cod..
    04-25-10 12:55 PM
    I did load the 230 first with no change in transmission quality. How do I certain my OS. When I checked for updates for my handset thru desktop manager there was nothing to upgrade.
    So you want to return your bluetooth file to the version it was before? What OS are you running?

It says it "Fixes the .419 blue tooth hangup issue". I have never had a hang up issue. My issue was the volume would not go more than half way up...

The bt from 5xx builds do not work with 419. I tried 530,548, 571 and 591. When installed on a 419 base the bbm would disappear and i would get uncaught exception errors. Thats why I asked if a 2xx file would work in the 4xx environment.

It only takes a minute so after lunch I will try the 230 and compare it to the 484 bt.cod..
    I did see that it said "fixes hangup issue" but that doesn't mean that's the only thing it fixes. It is worth a try if all else fails. But I would recommend the .230 version, that's what I'm using on my .591 base OS and it fixed my problems.
    04-25-10 02:44 PM
    I was saying, how do I know for certain which OS I'm running? My desktop manager says that there are no available updates for my handset so I'm assuming that I am running the latest software. I've only had the phone a week so I'm not up to speed on all the BB lingo. Since these other fixes didn't get the desired results, I thought I'd try backing up to an older OS since others have posted that they noticed the same problems since updating to 5.xx.
    04-25-10 04:55 PM
    I was saying, how do I know for certain which OS I'm running? My desktop manager says that there are no available updates for my handset so I'm assuming that I am running the latest software. I've only had the phone a week so I'm not up to speed on all the BB lingo. Since these other fixes didn't get the desired results, I thought I'd try backing up to an older OS since others have posted that they noticed the same problems since updating to 5.xx.
    Simultaneously press ALT-RIGHT SHIFT-H from the home screen to display your OS version.
    04-25-10 05:07 PM
    I'm sorry I can't find any shift keys on my 8530 curve. But Alt-enter-h locks the keypad:^)
    04-25-10 05:42 PM
    Sorry.... 5.0.0.459
    04-25-10 10:57 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD