I have been using a BlueAnt Z9i since I got my Tour last August. It has worked well until recently and now the sound is very choppy. This is the 2nd BlueAnt headset I have had a problem with. Are there any recommendations for a different brand that lasts longer?
    02-21-10 11:30 AM
    I have used a Jawbone Prime as well as my current fave, the Plantronics Voyager Pro with good success. Both have somewhat distorted incoming sound when used with my Tour, although they are both crystal clear when paired up with my LG dumbphone. Disappointing, considering that the Tour is my main biz phone and I use it with BT approx. 6+ hours/day.

From a headset perspective, I am comfortable with recommending either as high-quality headsets that have both served me very well. The Voyager Pro has excellent battery life by comparison to the Prime (due to the larger behind-the ear portion, no doubt), and it also has an onboard mute function - which is super handy for me for business use. For casual use, I still grab my Prime as it's lighter/smaller and the background noise reduction/rejection is better than the V.Pro.

Good luck in your search!
    02-21-10 11:56 AM
    Thanks for the reply.

I used to use a Plantronics Voyager headset with my Treo and it worked very well...I was hoping for something smaller though. I was looking at Best Buy the other day and noticed the Jawbone Icon. I don't recall seeing the Prime but I will take a look.
    02-21-10 12:14 PM
    I use a Jabra BT530. Works awesome with my Tour.
    02-21-10 10:59 PM
    I was looking at Best Buy the other day and noticed the Jawbone Icon. I don't recall seeing the Prime but I will take a look.
    I think the Icon is the successor to the Prime.

If you're looking for something smaller, the Plantronics 925/975 are quite compact and include a carrying case. I think both the Icon and the 975 use a Micro USB so you can use the same charging cords for your headset and phone. That's a pretty handy feature!
    02-21-10 11:26 PM
    I picked up a Jawbone Icon yesterday and am quite impressed so far. Good fit, great sound quality and very good range. I am not sure about the noise reduction as I was going through some papers yester day while on a call and the other person complained it was very noisy. I noticed on Jawbone's website that noise reduction may not work if echo control is enabled on the BB. I turned that off so I'll see if that helps the noise reduction.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-10 07:54 AM
    I think the Icon is the successor to the Prime.

If you're looking for something smaller, the Plantronics 925/975 are quite compact and include a carrying case. I think both the Icon and the 975 use a Micro USB so you can use the same charging cords for your headset and phone. That's a pretty handy feature!
    The icon is the successor to the prime, even though it is cheaper.

But the icon has a really hard time staying in the ear because of its size and design. Its smaller than the other jawbones by about half its size and doesn't have too much of an arc to brace itself against your "jawbone". I would stick with the prine, or go with plantronics

02-23-10 01:45 AM
    The Jawbone Icon is working well for me so far. Sound quality is superb and noise reduction is good but not as good as on the BlueAnt Z9i. Very comfortable and no problems keeping it in place. My only concern is battery life. I haven't run it down to empty yet but the battery level seems to drop rapidly from 4.5 hours to 2 hours. Maybe a calibration issue.

02-24-10 08:27 AM
    I just picked up the RIM HS-500 and must say I am impressed! I was nervous using a headset without volume control on the headset itself but the automatic volume adjustment is very good and effective and you can always override the volume on the phone itself.

It's simple but gets the job done. And the sound quality is impressive! I've left myself some test voicemails on some of the loudest roads I travel and was blown away at how clear the message was without having to "enable" special technology. It works out of the box.

It is very light weight and I love the earpiece used. It's the kind with the half circle piece attached and in my case I have no need for the hook as it sits securely.

So far so good. Oh, and it CAN (out of the box) stream Slacker, podcasts, music, and even navigation. It's only one earpiece but this is perfect for work listening.

I actually bought it for the streaming capability and am very pleased with how well it performs with everything.

03-02-10 07:16 AM
    @French

Thanks for the review of the HS-500. I have been thinking about trying something different than the Jawbone Icon. Sound quality is great but the talk time is under 3 hours! Looks like the HS-500 will be next.

FYI, I have been working with BlueAnt to try to get my Z9i repaired under warranty. They now tell me to try it with another brand of phone as they are having problems with BlackBerrys. Even though it worked fine for 7 months with my Tour, BlueAnt says it could still be the phone. Makes no sense.
    03-02-10 09:37 AM
    @Ed I found out through other forums that it is not the bluetooth but the OS..My blueant did the same thing after I downloaded the OS 5.0 for my phone..Here is a thread of some things you can do..I am trying them as well as we speak...hope this helps..
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/fi...leases-312698/
    03-05-10 11:27 AM
    @Ed I found out through other forums that it is not the bluetooth but the OS..My blueant did the same thing after I downloaded the OS 5.0 for my phone..Here is a thread of some things you can do..I am trying them as well as we speak...hope this helps..
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/fi...leases-312698/
    Thanks for the info akaquietstorm. It never dawned on me that I needed to delete any BT pairings before updating the OS.

A couple of points relative to what I am experiencing. I have no problem deleting the BT profiles from my Tour and re-pairing. Unfortunately, this hasn't helped my BlueAnt Z9i. So, I am not sure if it is worth the downgrade/upgrade process. If you go that route, please let us know if that fixes your BT issues. I am going to try my Z9i with a friend's iPhone and see if it is the headset or my phone causing the problem.

On the other hand, the Jawbone Icon works flawlessly with the Tour. If only it had better battery life!
    03-05-10 11:47 AM
    I am going to try my Z9i with a friend's iPhone and see if it is the headset or my phone causing the problem.
    My Z9i seems to work fine with the iPhone. I guess the update to OS 5.0 on my Tour made it incompatible with BlueAnt!
    03-05-10 07:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD