As I've said in other posts, I'm not yet a BB user, and like everybody else am eagerly awaiting the release of the 9700 (hurry up!!!). Then last night I remembered that when I had my new car with inbuilt bluetooth, it didn't display the names of callers from by phones phonebook on the car's display screen, nor could I browse my phones phonebook via the car's display screen to lookup and dial peoples numbers. After some research I believed this to be due to my N95's Bluetooth not having the Phone Book Access Profile (aka PBAP).

Does anybody know if Blackberry's usually support PBAP, or whether or not the 9700 will?

I've seen another post of somebody asking the same thing (though not directly related to the 9700), but the replies were not conclusive - or at least to me indicated that BBs didn't have this Profile.

Thanks!
    10-08-09 04:57 AM
    If this helps, i have a 'Bury' carkit with bluetooth phonebook synch and it works like a charm, i just had to download a widget from bury.com on the phones browser.....BINGO!
    10-08-09 06:36 AM
    Hi William,

Thanks for the reply. What's this widget you had to download? I wouldn't have thought you'd need a widget if the phone had PBAP...? But who knows, stranger things have happened!

I've also since found some other posts (about Tour handsets) which apparently have PBAP... hopefully this will be part of the 9700's spec, anyone?
    10-08-09 07:43 AM
    Not sure how much halp this will be but:

CC 9060 Email Read Patch for Blackberry

This is the link to the download page. It seems it was only an email reading patch, so maybe it already had the synch feature. The Bury CC9060 reads your emails out to you.

I have a tour 9630, but worked just the same on my bold. Im sure somewhere on the net there will be software to fix your prob in any event.
    10-08-09 08:03 AM
    As I've said in other posts, I'm not yet a BB user, and like everybody else am eagerly awaiting the release of the 9700 (hurry up!!!). Then last night I remembered that when I had my new car with inbuilt bluetooth, it didn't display the names of callers from by phones phonebook on the car's display screen, nor could I browse my phones phonebook via the car's display screen to lookup and dial peoples numbers. After some research I believed this to be due to my N95's Bluetooth not having the Phone Book Access Profile (aka PBAP).

Does anybody know if Blackberry's usually support PBAP, or whether or not the 9700 will?

I've seen another post of somebody asking the same thing (though not directly related to the 9700), but the replies were not conclusive - or at least to me indicated that BBs didn't have this Profile.

Thanks!
    My 8310 shows the names when synced with my car so I would imagine the 9700 would as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-09 08:16 AM
    i'm not worried about fixing my current problem on my N97 - there is apparently a work round of sorts, whereby my phonebook is somehow copied to the car, but this is limited, and it seems a bit messy to me.

From what you've said then, hopefully the 9700 will have PBAP and will just work out of the box as it should.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-09 12:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD