I want to get a Bluetooth headset for my 8330 Curve.

The "Jawbone" looks cool, but is it a good quality headset ?

I don't want to have problems loosing connections between the handset and the headset, with dropping calls, or with excessive background noise.

Please advise on your experiences with different bluetooth headsets.

1) Which one do you use ?
    2) What phone do you use it with ?
    3) Why did you choose that one ?
    06-21-08 08:39 AM
    I have a Jawbone. I used it before with a Razr. I had problems with the Razr where I had a lot of disconnections after few minutes talking. With the BB 8830, not a single problem. The connection between the BB and the Jawbone is fast. The only difference I have noticed is sound quality. The sound coming out of the BB is outstanding. The sound coming out of the Jawbone is of a higher pitch...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-08 08:57 AM
    I want to get a Bluetooth headset for my 8330 Curve.

The "Jawbone" looks cool, but is it a good quality headset ?

I don't want to have problems loosing connections between the handset and the headset, with dropping calls, or with excessive background noise.

Please advise on your experiences with different bluetooth headsets.

1) Which one do you use ?
    2) What phone do you use it with ?
    3) Why did you choose that one ?
    You can find the answer to your questions at ....http://forums.crackberry.com/f42/
    This way you can see all the Pros and Cons with the various devices and phones.
    06-21-08 10:45 AM
    My mom has a Jawbone. If you ask me it is overly fancy. It gets to be very unintuative when you only have two buttons to interact with the device with. I still don't know how to change the volume on it. Before that my mom tried a Plantronics headset and it was super easy to use. She had issues with pairing and ended up taking that back to get the Jawbone (turned out to be her phone causing the pairing issues not the Plantronics headset, the Jawbone had the same issues). She wishes she didn't do that now. The Jawbone is top tier but in my opinion they tried to make it too slick instead of easy. I ended up ordering a Plantronics Voyager 520. I've heard nothing but great reviews for them and it uses the same easy to use interface as the one my mom had originally bought.
    06-21-08 11:03 AM
    I have both a Jawbone and Plantronics Voyager 510. The Jawbone is over a year old and works great. Both incoming and outgoing. Volume has never been a problem and it stays connected always. When the battery eventually dies I will replace it with the latest generation of Jawbone. Also the company that makes the Jawbone has been great to deal with. When my USB connector went bad, they replaced it @ No Charge even after the warranty expired.

The Plantronics 510 I use less frequently, but when I do it works great. It is bulkier and more unsightly, but the sound is good and it stays connected.

I have tried Motorolas, Jabras, and Nokias with little success and poor reception.

Hope this helps
    06-21-08 11:19 AM
    My mom has a Jawbone. If you ask me it is overly fancy. It gets to be very unintuative when you only have two buttons to interact with the device with. I still don't know how to change the volume on it. Before that my mom tried a Plantronics headset and it was super easy to use. She had issues with pairing and ended up taking that back to get the Jawbone (turned out to be her phone causing the pairing issues not the Plantronics headset, the Jawbone had the same issues). She wishes she didn't do that now. The Jawbone is top tier but in my opinion they tried to make it too slick instead of easy. I ended up ordering a Plantronics Voyager 520. I've heard nothing but great reviews for them and it uses the same easy to use interface as the one my mom had originally bought.
    What is so difficult about using the Jawbone? If one should take a couple of minutes and read the Instructional Manual, then it would dumb it down.
    06-21-08 11:21 AM
    Joining late, but I have a Jawbone and the outgoing sound quality is great but I have never been happy with the incoming volume or fit of the headset. Went to VZW store and got a LG HBM 770 for $60 and the pairing was extremely easy. I am very happy with the fit and the sound, incoming and outgoing, after a week. No lost connections yet.
    Jimbo
    06-21-08 12:19 PM
    I use a Sony Ericsson and a Nokia - they all seem to work fine.
    06-21-08 12:34 PM
    without trying to sound snide...

this is similar to asking what color toothbrush should i use...?

i say this not to be rude...but there are several factors to consider so i hope this helps:

1. size and fit. The jawbone is big (to me) and may not fit your ear... many people buy the Jabra brand ear gels to swap to one that fits.

2. call quality. the jawbone consistently rates well (on many forums and in the tech mags...)

3. style (i personally dont like the style of the jawbone) but thats just me and that doesnt make them any less effective...

4. price which some people say "I dont care as long as it works" and some say well... over a hundred dollars is a lot of money...

so if you get the chance...go play with several at the store if possible or check out a friend or colleagues....

-db

good luck. and p.s I use the blueant z9 and i love it...
    06-21-08 12:43 PM
    without trying to sound snide...

this is similar to asking what color toothbrush should i use...?

i say this not to be rude...but there are several factors to consider so i hope this helps:

1. size and fit. The jawbone is big (to me) and may not fit your ear... many people buy the Jabra brand ear gels to swap to one that fits.

2. call quality. the jawbone consistently rates well (on many forums and in the tech mags...)

3. style (i personally dont like the style of the jawbone) but thats just me and that doesnt make them any less effective...

4. price which some people say "I dont care as long as it works" and some say well... over a hundred dollars is a lot of money...

so if you get the chance...go play with several at the store if possible or check out a friend or colleagues....

-db

good luck. and p.s I use the blueant z9 and i love it...
    "Daddybear"

Uummm.....no I don't think so......

I specifically asked about user experiences regarding the quality and performance of various headsets. I didn't ask how big or small you thought it was, or whether or not it was cosmetically appealing to you; I asked which ones were of better quality and which ones performed best - so I don't think that's anything like asking "what color toothbrush I should use" ??? And not to be "snide or rude"......but I think that was a pretty dumb comparison. Geesh - if you can't answer the question or add value to the discussion, then just don't post a response.
    06-21-08 02:22 PM
    "Daddybear"

Uummm.....no I don't think so......

I specifically asked about user experiences regarding the quality and performance of various headsets. I didn't ask how big or small you thought it was, or whether or not it was cosmetically appealing to you; I asked which ones were of better quality and which ones performed best - so I don't think that's anything like asking "what color toothbrush I should use" ??? And not to be "snide or rude"......but I think that was a pretty dumb comparison. Geesh - if you can't answer the question or add value to the discussion, then just don't post a response.
    In defense of Daddybear, had you visit Blackberry Central, you could have read to your Heart's content the views of users opinions on all sort of Bluetooth Headset. You asked a question, and in doing so, has solicited the opinions of whoever decided to reply to your post.
    06-21-08 05:56 PM
    Well.....I am soooo sorry. I happen to be new to Blackberry and to Crackberry, so I was not aware of "Blackberry Central". I thought "this" was a place for the sharing of ideas and information, not snide remarks, sarcastic responses and cheap shots.

Sorry I asked the question, and sorry I didn't "know" to visit Blackberry Central. I'll try not to ask questions on this forum about things I don't know ever again.

Thanks for the "warm" welcome.
    06-21-08 08:11 PM
    Chill out everybody...play nice!

KBattle and other new posters on the thread - welcome to the forums! It's a warm welcome from me and CrackBerry is an awesome smartphone community. We're a big family...sometimes family members get at each other a bit..which they shouldn't, but it happens occasionally, but we're all in the same boat as we're BlackBerry fans!

Re: headsets. I've a big fan of both the Z9 and Jawbone..or I guess now the Z9i and New Jawbone. Can't go wrong with either in my opinion.

Re: BlackBerry Central. The member is actually referring to our BLUETOOTH Central Forum. It's located here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f42/

Now everybody play nice!
    06-22-08 08:58 AM
    I'm a store manager with a company called Airport Wireless. Most of you have probably visited our stores before while traveling.
    My experience, and also customer feedback, motorola h12, blue ant z9, and the new plantronics 925, which IMO is just about the best out there as far as incoming, outgoing sound quality, comfort and ease of use. Also comes with a carry case that doubles as a charger! It really is worth a try.
    The jawbone has good outgoing quality, but if it is not worn correctly, the other end will not hear you. Also, we have had issues with its fragilness.
    Also this is my first post, but i have been reading the forums for some time. I'm more of a listener than talker, but this is a great family and i'm very impressed with the community.
    06-22-08 10:36 AM
    Kbattle-

Apparently you sort of missed the point I was making. It wasn’t an effort to make fun of you or belittle the question. Choosing the right bluetooth headset is important and I spent a lot of time doing research on the same subject before I bought one.

I also offered several important things I thought someone should consider when buying one… the size issue of the jawbone is a factor in performance for some people. If it is too big or doesn’t fit your ear specifically it wont function as it should and that is a performance issue. I happen to know a lot of people who substitute the ear gels that allow them to work flawlessly for them. I also suggested that you see if you can use one before buying one just to get an idea of how it might feel. So yes, I did mention the size and style but not because how it LOOKS is really a reflection of how it works, but because its size is in direct relation to its ability to do the job you ask of it.

Secondly, the toothbrush reference was meant to be tongue in cheek, but leads to a larger issue which is: if you ask enough people on a technology forum what kind of headset they like, eventually you will hear everything under the sun and for lots of reasons..”I like this one because…” and that can seem overwhelming.

So I gave you several ideas for things you may want to consider. I also made it a point to tell you what I know from friends and colleagues (as well as several prominent technology forums) about the quality of the jawbone…which is regarded as exceptional. The jawbone is considered in the top handful of headsets. I also tried to offer an alternative which is the blueant z9 because that is what I use. I didn’t bash the jawbone (or you) but I find the size too big to be comfortable for long periods…I wear mine a lot while driving on the road for extended periods and the z9 is very comfortable…

Hope this helps.

-db
    06-22-08 12:02 PM
    What is so difficult about using the Jawbone? If one should take a couple of minutes and read the Instructional Manual, then it would dumb it down.
    The interface is dumb, at least I thought. Only two buttons? How, or can you adjust the volume? We can't find the owners manual anymore. Yet, I know how to pair it and turn it on/off. I don't know what the noise cancel button does while the device is on, I don't know how to adjust volume... With the Plantronics you don't even need a manual. The button is on/off and the volume rocker all at the same time. It is very intuitive compared to the Jawbone. The Jawbone I'm sure is easy enough (I thought so, even if I don't know how/if you can change the volume) but the Plantronics is even that much easier.

Besides all that, I feel like I'm the only one that actually doesn't like the way it looks. But, that's just opinion.
    06-22-08 01:10 PM
    Buy the Jawbone 2. I have a Jawbone original and it is the best working, easiest device that I have ever owned.

You have one button to switch on/off and activate the phone with whilst the 2nd button toggles the volume up and down one click at a time and starts the pairing fuction when you press and hold it whilst the device is switched off. There, I just re-wrote the entire user manual.

The Jawbone has noise cancelling that really works. It is quite simply the best headset that I have ever owned. It works perfectly with the BlackBerry.

My only regret is that I did not wait until the Jawbone 2 was released before buying.
    06-22-08 01:30 PM
    Ahh, so the "noise cancel button" (I believe that's what the owners manual called it) controls the volume? I still say Plantronics rocker is easier... Separate the volume up and down...
    06-22-08 02:14 PM
    I vote jawbone as well. I had one and while it looked funny it worked great. I kinda ran over it with my truck and went to a Moto H12 and the noise canceling is nothing like the Jawbone was, wish I would have waited for the JB 2.0
    06-23-08 08:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD