Can someone explain why I would want to purchase/use an external bluetooth GPS (like the GlobalSat GPS Receiver) instead of using the on-board Blackberry GPS? Do the external units provide better coverage/accuracy or speak to better satellites? I am currently using the Blackberry Bold with Amaze and Live Search.

Thanks!
    12-03-08 03:17 PM
    If you have a functioning internal GPS, there's almost no reason to purchase an external unit. External units see the same satellites and provide the same performance, with one difference. External GPS units are always Autonomous GPS, and don't depend on the cell phone signal at all. Internal GPS chips may use one or more variations of Assisted GPS, which uses the cell phone signal to obtain ephemeris data from ground stations. Assisted GPS was originally designed to reduce the Time to First Fix. Modern GPS units connect so quickly that there is little need for Assisted GPS now, in my opinion. I use a Freedom Keychain 2000 and am completely happy with how quickly it locks.

An internal GPS has the advantage of not needing Bluetooth, always being with you, and not requiring a separate power source. An external GPS doesn't use your BB power, but does require your BB to use Bluetooth to talk to it.

I consider the advantages of a working internal GPS to outweigh any other advantages of an external unit, but as a Verizon user, the internal unit is not an option.
    12-03-08 03:53 PM
    As per the last posters comment, there is minimal/no reason to want an external GPS device over the internal one, except if you are a surveyor and have a big budget at your disposal for a super accurate one, or one that can handle not only the GPS system, but the European and Russian and Chinese ones as well, maybe India is thinking of doing one too.

In any case if the internal accuracy is good enough with the internal GPS chip-set, there is no point to an external one.
    12-03-08 06:26 PM
    Thanks for the informative replies!
    12-03-08 10:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD